What Are Your Qualifications

Bluto10

Exactly! I'm sure there is a mathematical expression of that, but I canna be fucked doing it.

I was invited twice to join the ranks of the mathematicians ,but was never asked again when I refused to stand for the Queen at an engagement party.

My granny would have been 701 but she's fuckin deid.

It's basically a Computer Science MSc, but they stick the word Engineering into the title to make it sound relevant in Aberdeen.

youre nae wrong.

i know folk who have struggled to get an oil and gas job in aberdeen because they dont have oil and gas experience.

bit insular outlook.

yet over here in holland they have no problem getting a job at big companies like aramco, shell etc.

• 11 years later...
On 12/21/2012 at 1:25 PM, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

Masters of Mechanical Engineering (MEng).

I wouldn't rule out further study in the future if the need or desire arose.

Same here. If I had my time again though, not sure I'd go the same route. I was among the first generation to pay tuition fees, but it was the abolition of grants (and replacing them with loans) that really screwed the working class over and created a debt mountain that doesn't always justify the investment.

Also interesting how the goalposts moved twice in 1999; first with tuition fees and again with the UK SPEC criteria for Chartership, going from a BEng (Hons) to Masters level (MEng or MSc) requirement. Many of us millennials have been Chartered a long time, but are behind bosses who not only benefitted massively from free education, with a grant they could practically live on for 3/4 years, but who only needed a Bachelor's degree (and jumped through fewer hoops) to get Chartered. 

10 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Same here. If I had my time again though, not sure I'd go the same route. I was among the first generation to pay tuition fees, but it was the abolition of grants (and replacing them with loans) that really screwed the working class over and created a debt mountain that doesn't always justify the investment.

Also interesting how the goalposts moved twice in 1999; first with tuition fees and again with the UK SPEC criteria for Chartership, going from a BEng (Hons) to Masters level (MEng or MSc) requirement. Many of us millennials have been Chartered a long time, but are behind bosses who not only benefitted massively from free education, with a grant they could practically live on for 3/4 years, but who only needed a Bachelor's degree (and jumped through fewer hoops) to get Chartered. 

Aye, blame the system for folk being promoted over you, its the system thats holding you back.

• Haha 2
27 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

That's a really interesting story.  You should tell it in more detail next time min.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, sigh said:

Aye, blame the system for folk being promoted over you, its the system thats holding you back.

I'm sorry, you have read far too much into that. Firstly, I'm not referring to people "promoted over me", rather the older generation who are already above me. I am happy with my lot overall. I'm simply saying the changes to education and the engineering profession (among others) after 1999 made it harder for our young people to succeed. As a father of young kids that concerns me greatly.

It's not sour grapes to point out the bounties enjoyed by the post-war generation and baby boomers were unprecedented - and may never be seen again. A wider issue is that, since the late-90's, too much prestige has been placed on higher education, to the detriment of skilled trades and vocational work, whether it's good old fashioned British snobbery, or other factors. 

• Upvote 1