Alex Mcleish

At Motherwell, as you say, he finished second in his first season - the club's highest finish in over 60 years. Following seasons they struggled but still stayed up in a tight 10-team league. During that time, no club outside the OF didn't flirt with relegation at least once. Overall, more good than bad.

At Hibs, he took over a doomed side already but made a decent fist of staying up before relegation on 2nd last day of season. Got them promoted immediately, and then top half finish in first campaign before getting the hun job. Again, more good than bad.

At Birmingham, he inherited a shite Steve Bruce side midway through the season and he couldn't keep them up. Then, again, instant promotion followed by a 9th placed finish in his first PL season before winning their first trophy in almost 50 years next season. Relegated on crazy last day of season before resigning. Again, more good than bad.

If McLeish is a shite manager, then most managers in the UK are shite.

Of course you can find good and bad in any manager. Even for the biggest Craig Brown haters they would have to admit he did a good job at Motherwell and was also the last Scotland coach to get us to a tournament. Jesus you could probably even make McGhee sound decent if you were careful in which of his past clubs you talked about.

McLeish is not a great manager. The reason most people want him is nostalgia. Mark McGhee is evidence of what can happen when you appoint a manager based on nostalgia. Also one of the biggest annoyances people have with Brown is that he is apparently defensive, speak to any fan of a team that McLeish has managed and they will tell you how boring and defensive his teams are.

Of course you can find good and bad in any manager. Even for the biggest Craig Brown haters they would have to admit he did a good job at Motherwell and was also the last Scotland coach to get us to a tournament. Jesus you could probably even make McGhee sound decent if you were careful in which of his past clubs you talked about.

McLeish is not a great manager. The reason most people want him is nostalgia. Mark McGhee is evidence of what can happen when you appoint a manager based on nostalgia. Also one of the biggest annoyances people have with Brown is that he is apparently defensive, speak to any fan of a team that McLeish has managed and they will tell you how boring and defensive his teams are.

I am no fan of nostalgia-based appointments but the reason I am not even considering McLeish for us is that we couldn't afford him and he wouldn't come to SPL again in my opinion.

In the last ten years, McLeish is one of the top 5 Scottish managers and incomparable to Brown.

I am no fan of nostalgia-based appointments but the reason I am not even considering McLeish for us is that we couldn't afford him and he wouldn't come to SPL again in my opinion.

In the last ten years, McLeish is one of the top 5 Scottish managers and incomparable to Brown.

I agree this is probably a pointless discussion as he wouldn't come to us I agree.

I personally think you are giving McLeish far too much credit with that last statement, he is not a great manager. We can agree to differ on that one.

I agree this is probably a pointless discussion as he wouldn't come to us I agree.

I personally think you are giving McLeish far too much credit with that last statement, he is not a great manager. We can agree to differ on that one.

Aside from Fergie, Lambert or Moyes, which other Scottish manager would you rather have at the Dons?

Its not your fault Ollie...there are a few players who have links with both clubs...but they fall into two very different camps....Ferguson, McLeish,Bett,Jess,Robertson,Cooper,Bell,Snelders...or...Knox,Rae,Hughes,Foster,Aluko,...Chalk and Cheese really...I'm guessing you're on the wind up when you say you don't know how to differentiate...good one chief... :laughing:

The Boofon, what do you think?

Lambert is another strange one.

Totally bombed at Livingston, and making a cunt of it at Aston Vanilla.

I don't think he's a good manager.

Post-Livi he has been either solid or stunning as a manager for 6 years with Wycombe, Colchester and especially Norwich. A dodgy few months at Villa and he's now not a good manager? I find that fickle in the extreme.

Fuck sake, like I said earlier, if McLeish and now Lambert are not good managers, then who are?

Post-Livi he has been either solid or stunning as a manager for 6 years with Wycombe, Colchester and especially Norwich. A dodgy few months at Villa and he's now not a good manager? I find that fickle in the extreme.

Fuck sake, like I said earlier, if McLeish and now Lambert are not good managers, then who are?

He was poor to reasonable at Wycombe. Did nothing much.

He was OK at Colchester, and then landed the Norwich gig on the back of a 7-0 mauling of Bryan Gunn's horrendous team.

Norwich were of course far too big for the English 3rd division so getting them promoted was childs play.

He did well to get them up again, and did well to keep them up, but they're traditionally a well run club anyway.

Two good seasons in however many does not make him the messiah. He's a dour bastard.

He's on a par with McGhee.

He was poor to reasonable at Wycombe. Did nothing much.

He was OK at Colchester, and then landed the Norwich gig on the back of a 7-0 mauling of Bryan Gunn's horrendous team.

Norwich were of course far too big for the English 3rd division so getting them promoted was childs play.

He did well to get them up again, and did well to keep them up, but they're traditionally a well run club anyway.

Two good seasons in however many does not make him the messiah. He's a dour bastard.

He's on a par with McGhee.

:laughing: So they could have put Delia herself in charge of team affairs and they'd have stayed up aye? Great achievement.

McGhee remark is a blatant piece of trawling.

Aside from Fergie, Lambert or Moyes, which other Scottish manager would you rather have at the Dons?

I dont see what Mcleish has done that is so special. He had a good start at Motherwell before it went shit, same at Birmingham and Villa was a non-starter. Beyond the first season at any club (bar the huns) he is nothing special.

Lets face it the most recent things on his CV are that he got Birmingham relegated and was shite at Villa.

:laughing: So they could have put Delia herself in charge of team affairs and they'd have stayed up aye? Great achievement.

No, what I'm saying is that some clubs are so well run that it does not matter too much who the manager is.

Swansea being a prime example, the club ethos is more important than the man in charge.

The huns being at the very polar opposite of that maxim.

I'm saying that Norwich would more than likely have got promoted with any manager.

I dont see what Mcleish has done that is so special. He had a good start at Motherwell before it went shit, same at Birmingham and Villa was a non-starter. Beyond the first season at any club (bar the huns) he is nothing special.

Lets face it the most recent things on his CV are that he got Birmingham relegated and was shite at Villa.

I'm not saying he's special but achievements at huns, Scotland and Birmingham mean his stock, for me, is still among the highest of Scottish managers despite nightmare at Villa.

No, what I'm saying is that some clubs are so well run that it does not matter too much who the manager is.

Swansea being a prime example, the club ethos is more important than the man in charge.

The huns being at the very polar opposite of that maxim.

I'm saying that Norwich would more than likely have got promoted with any manager.

Like Bryan Gunn for example?

That was different, his was a sentimental appointment, which never works.

If they were such a well-run club to the extent that it didn't matter who the manager was, then why were they in the third tier when Lambert took over and why, whne he kept them in the Premiership, was it the first time they'd done that since the early-mid 90s?

Lambert deserves unqualified praise for what he achieved at Norwich.

If they were such a well-run club to the extent that it didn't matter who the manager was, then why were they in the third tier when Lambert took over and why, whne he kept them in the Premiership, was it the first time they'd done that since the early-mid 90s?

Lambert deserves unqualified praise for what he achieved at Norwich.

It's the same as Southampton, anyone could have done it, as they were in a false position.

He deserves mild praise for parts of what he achieved.

At Motherwell, as you say, he finished second in his first season - the club's highest finish in over 60 years. Following seasons they struggled but still stayed up in a tight 10-team league. During that time, no club outside the OF didn't flirt with relegation at least once. Overall, more good than bad.

At Hibs, he took over a doomed side already but made a decent fist of staying up before relegation on 2nd last day of season. Got them promoted immediately, and then top half finish in first campaign before getting the hun job. Again, more good than bad.

At Birmingham, he inherited a shite Steve Bruce side midway through the season and he couldn't keep them up. Then, again, instant promotion followed by a 9th placed finish in his first PL season before winning their first trophy in almost 50 years next season. Relegated on crazy last day of season before resigning. Again, more good than bad.

If McLeish is a shite manager, then most managers in the UK are shite.

Took Dunfermline from the 1st Division to 4th in the Premier and the Scottish Cup Final.

Took Aberdeen from 11th to 3rd, and last 32 of the UEFA Cup.

Saved Killie from relegation.

More good than bad?

Took Dunfermline from the 1st Division to 4th in the Premier and the Scottish Cup Final.

More good than bad?

Yeah.. I would much prefer him to some of the other names I've heard mentioned. His attitude always came across as a bit of an arsehole though.

More good than bad?

Are you implying that this proves that my argument is pish because you can show any manager to be good/shite by choosing the high/low points?

If so, point taken but JC had more bad than good for us.

So, you have to be an ex manager/player who has won something in a bygone era to be in the good hun camp, and a current assistant manager/player/ex player from the current era who has won nothing to be in the bad hun camp? Have I got that right? Do we just dismiss Knox's history with the club?

Robertson?

Knox's previous association with AFC is fairly short...3 years... whereas his links to Walter Smith and the hun are into double figures...he is a hun thru and thru.

The point you seem to bring up with regularity are Rae's credentials as an AFC player and fan...I disagree that he is really either...his legs are shot, he does very little other than stifle play and never does anything other than the easy...he will certainly not go down as an AFC great or anything close...as for being a fan...no real AFC fan would ever captain the hun

So who's the bigger hun then?

months_1391866a_zpsfdccc9c9.jpg

or

mcleish_zpseb892027.jpg

One of those no brainer moments...I guess

• Upvote 1

Knox's previous association with AFC is fairly short...3 years... whereas his links to Walter Smith and the hun are into double figures...he is a hun thru and thru.

The point you seem to bring up with regularity are Rae's credentials as an AFC player and fan...I disagree that he is really either...his legs are shot, he does very little other than stifle play and never does anything other than the easy...he will certainly not go down as an AFC great or anything close...as for being a fan...no real AFC fan would ever captain the hun

So who's the bigger hun then?

months_1391866a_zpsfdccc9c9.jpg

or

mcleish_zpseb892027.jpg

One of those no brainer moments...I guess

article-0-050B826C000005DC-489_468x309.jpg

rangers-david-robertson-11-upper-deck-1998-rangers-fc-football-trading-card-47087-p.jpg