Do You Believe In (A) God(S)?

StandFree1982

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in a God/Gods?

• No
    • Yes
    • Not sure
    • I believe in something else...(specify!)

i've long said the same. it would be wonderful to believe and go to confession and be absolved.

It is indeed.

You know that way if you have been at the gym, or out for a run, then you have a shower and you feel absolutely amazing when you emerge from the shower? Refreshed, endorphins circulating, etc?

That would be a good analogy for it, but in a spiritual/mental capacity rather than merely physical.

Perhaps surprisingly, it is very liberating to spill your guts about something to an anonymous person behind a screen. Its not particularly easy, especially at first, but its worth it.

It gets 'it' off your chest / conscience, rather than carrying 'it' around with you for your whole life and doing this repairs your relationship with God.

The Sacrament of Reconciliation ("Confession") is often portrayed as a sinister thing in the modern media, but nothing could be further from the true.

Leaving the Church, having done your penance, you are at that moment as perfect, innocent and spotless as a newborn infant. This is called being in "the state of grace". It feels pretty good.

It can be very easy to wreck this state however, even thoughtlessly - my own record is managing to do so before having left the Church proper, after lusting after a young women I passed on the steps. Blast!

Catholics are required to die whilst in a state of grace, if they are to attain salvation.

It is indeed.

You know that way if you have been at the gym, or out for a run, then you have a shower and you feel absolutely amazing when you emerge from the shower? Refreshed, endorphins circulating, etc?

That would be a good analogy for it, but in a spiritual/mental capacity rather than merely physical.

Perhaps surprisingly, it is very liberating to spill your guts about something to an anonymous person behind a screen. Its not particularly easy, especially at first, but its worth it.

It gets 'it' off your chest / conscience, rather than carrying 'it' around with you for your whole life and doing this repairs your relationship with God.

The Sacrament of Reconciliation ("Confession") is often portrayed as a sinister thing in the modern media, but nothing could be further from the true.

Leaving the Church, having done your penance, you are at that moment as perfect, innocent and spotless as a newborn infant. This is called being in "the state of grace". It feels pretty good.

It can be very easy to wreck this state however, even thoughtlessly - my own record is managing to do so before having left the Church proper, after lusting after a young women I passed on the steps. Blast!

Catholics are required to die whilst in a state of grace, if they are to attain salvation.

see that's the kicker for me. you really, really have to have faith to believe that.

because in my eyes, you're still the exact same person who went into that church a couple of hours earlier. maybe you feel a bit more lighthearted having shared the guilt and information about your trangressions since your last confession, but really you're not any different.

presumably the priest, aside from making you do penance, also requires some sort of restitution for more egregious wrongs?

for instance a person that's stolen, not only says their required number of Hail Marys, but is also required to, in as much as they can, make reparations? by returning the thieved article, admitting to the act, apologizing sincerely, and taking what consequences come their way?

or is just doing your penance and keeping mum about it forever more, enough?

• Upvote 2

1. Do Japanese people get to go to heaven cos they don't have the bible so how could they know?

The answer to this was 'no' which I thought was profoundly unfair.

2. Do dogs get to go to heaven?

Again, 'no'. What a cock Jocky God is I was thinking. I wanted to see my dog again but they are excluded.

Those Jap bastards will never get to heaven, after their WW2 antics ;)

Only kidding - of course they can, anyone can.

There are many people, even today, who are ignorant of the genuine Christian message - for a variety of reasons. Most of these people will be decent, well-meaning, good people. Similarly, there were many people who lived before Christ and who never heard of him.

So what happens? Do all these people get automatically binned? Of course not - God is nothing but reasonable.

Persons who, through no fault of their own, are not a Christian would still be saved, if they were a good person - because you cant hold someone responsible for not adhering to something they have never learned of / been taught / encountered.

This concept is called "Invincible ignorance" and it could apply to persons who have never encountered the Church, persons born into a false religion, all manner of people really.

As for dugs, well:

220px-AllDogsGotoHeaven.jpg

It is indeed.

CS, genuine questions regarding your faith and beliefs, i'm genuinely interested to know what your point of view is, rather than trying to make any point or anything:

Do you believe the world is only 5000 years old?

Do you believe in an all seeing being that hears, sees, knows everything?

Do you believe there is a heaven and a hell?

EDIT: following on from your post above this one, lets say i've lived a good life and been a nice person, if I don't believe in God, does that mean I can't go to heaven? Surely that's a bit unfair if I just was trying to be rational and logical in coming to the conclusion that he doesn't exist. I don't get to heaven because I made a genuine mistake??

• Upvote 2

Lol rj. He ain't coming back from that one. +1

You can't debate with people who believe in bronze age mythology. In a month's time, the wife and I will be in Rome. We've never been near the Vatican City but she wants to go simply to marvel at the opulence and wonder at the hypocrisy of the kafflick church stealing from so many and getting away with it for so long. As Hitler said, it's the small lies you have to be careful with, the bigger lies will be masked by public incredulity.

They know how stupid the sheeple are. A fool and their money etc.

see that's the kicker for me. you really, really have to have faith to believe that.

Its what yer man Jesus said to his first clergy (the apostles):

Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained (John 20:23)

because in my eyes, you're still the exact same person who went into that church a couple of hours earlier. maybe you feel a bit more lighthearted having shared the guilt and information about your trangressions since your last confession, but really you're not any different.

I understand your point of view. And I understand why it could seem like simply talking about a matter helps of its own accord - after all, a problem shared is a problem halved, as the saying goes.

presumably the priest, aside from making you do penance, also requires some sort of restitution for more egregious wrongs?

for instance a person that's stolen, not only says their required number of Hail Marys, but is also required to, in as much as they can, make reparations? by returning the thieved article, admitting to the act, apologizing sincerely, and taking what consequences come their way?

or is just doing your penance and keeping mum about it forever more, enough?

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

However, to do all in your power to right the wrongs you are responsible for, or repair damage you have caused, or to financially atone for ill-gotten goods etc etc is a basic principle of the Catholic faith and "goes without saying" really.

So a priest might not mention this, (thought he might), as he is chiefly concerned with facilitating the individual making peace with God. He would likely presume you had apologised to XYZ for ABC, or whatever.

However, if it was a serious matter then he certainly would (should) mention it.

Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained (John 20:23)

I understand your point of view. And I understand why it could seem like simply talking about a matter helps of its own accord - after all, a problem shared is a problem halved, as the saying goes.

However, to do all in your power to right the wrongs you are responsible for, or repair damage you have caused, or to financially atone for ill-gotten goods etc etc is a basic principle of the Catholic faith and "goes without saying" really.

So a priest might not mention this, (thought he might), as he is chiefly concerned with facilitating the individual making peace with God. He would likely presume you had apologised to XYZ for ABC, or whatever.

However, if it was a serious matter then he certainly would (should) mention it.

but should the transgressor choose not to do other than the penance in church, no one would be the wiser, including the priest.

such is life i guess.

thank you for the info :cheers:

I heard that the same gadgie that wrote the bible also wrote the white paper.

Unreal eh? but true story I believe.

I BELIEVE

CS, genuine questions regarding your faith and beliefs, i'm genuinely interested to know what your point of view is, rather than trying to make any point or anything:

Fair doos!

Feel free to make points too, lol, its not illegal ;)

Do you believe the world is only 5000 years old?

No.

Do you believe in an all seeing being that hears, sees, knows everything?

Yes.

Do you believe there is a heaven and a hell?

Yes.

Heaven means "with God". I understand Hell as being denied the experience of being "with God", not necessarily as a hot place with attendant devils ;)

EDIT: following on from your post above this one, lets say i've lived a good life and been a nice person, if I don't believe in God, does that mean I can't go to heaven? Surely that's a bit unfair if I just was trying to be rational and logical in coming to the conclusion that he doesn't exist. I don't get to heaven because I made a genuine mistake??

That's an interesting question. I think a large part of it would be what genuine efforts did this person make to get to the bottom of this / how worthwhile were these efforts.

We are responsible for our own salvation. So, if a person knows what the Catholic Church represents, but chooses to remain outside it, its curtains for them.

But if a person is ignorant of what the Church represents, or the Church fails to properly convince them, (there is no shortage of incompetent clergy), then likely Invincible Ignorance applies.

but should the transgressor choose not to do other than the penance in church, no one would be the wiser, including the priest.

such is life i guess.

thank you for the info :cheers:

No bother :cheers:

Worth noting that God would obviously be aware if an individual had not made any effort to right a wrong, which in itself would be sinful, and so the individual who thought they were being sneaky by only doing the Church penance is actually cutting their own throat, lol, not getting away lightly as they though.

Lol rj. He ain't coming back from that one. +1

You can't debate with people who believe in bronze age mythology. In a month's time, the wife and I will be in Rome. We've never been near the Vatican City but she wants to go simply to marvel at the opulence and wonder at the hypocrisy of the kafflick church stealing from so many and getting away with it for so long. As Hitler said, it's the small lies you have to be careful with, the bigger lies will be masked by public incredulity.

They know how stupid the sheeple are. A fool and their money etc.

A poor effort. For starters, the Bronze age ended several 100 yrs before JC was born.

Do go to the Vatican - Fatjim has been multiple times. You will like it. Like many attractions in Rome, it is spoilt somewhat by the large crowds. You can never stand in thought and reflect - its often like you are on a busy train platform.

I was lucky enough to visit during our honeymoon. A wonderful place. Very beautiful. Even I was left open-mouthed at times.

I pity a man who, when confronted by such beauty, can only snarl and spit about hypocrisy or, when confronted by selfless generosity, can only gurn about stealing or gullibility.

What place does beauty hold in your life, if this is the reaction it causes?

Inside the Basillica, see if you can check out the monument to the Royal House of Stuart, of Scotland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_Royal_Stuarts

That is, of course, if you can drag yourself away from the efforts of Michaelangelo and other fine works ;)

There is no finer place on earth, no greater testament to God and to human achievement.

Fair doos!

No.Yes.Yes.

Heaven means "with God". I understand Hell as being denied the experience of being "with God", not necessarily as a hot place with attendant devils ;)

That's an interesting question. I think a large part of it would be what genuine efforts did this person make to get to the bottom of this / how worthwhile were these efforts.

We are responsible for our own salvation. So, if a person knows what the Catholic Church represents, but chooses to remain outside it, its curtains for them.

But if a person is ignorant of what the Church represents, or the Church fails to properly convince them, (there is no shortage of incompetent clergy), then likely Invincible Ignorance applies.

:laughing:

Come on min.

• Upvote 1

I know, what is is this boy on? Why does he keep dragging me into the argument? I had an Irish teacher of how to run a business who told me that my initials were offensive to him. My initials are JC and Jesus can swing on my cock. He was deadly serious. Jimmy Calderwood obviously too. There is no accounting for the stupidity that human beings can revert to.

A poor effort. For starters, the Bronze age ended several 100 yrs before JC was born.Do go to the Vatican - Fatjim has been multiple times. You will like it. Like many attractions in Rome, it is spoilt somewhat by the large crowds. You can never stand in thought and reflect - its often like you are on a busy train platform.I was lucky enough to visit during our honeymoon. A wonderful place. Very beautiful. Even I was left open-mouthed at times.I pity a man who, when confronted by such beauty, can only snarl and spit about hypocrisy or, when confronted by selfless generosity, can only gurn about stealing or gullibility.What place does beauty hold in your life, if this is the reaction it causes?Inside the Basillica, see if you can check out the monument to the Royal House of Stuart, of Scotland:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_Royal_StuartsThat is, of course, if you can drag yourself away from the efforts of Michaelangelo and other fine works ;)There is no finer place on earth, no greater testament to God and to human achievement.

For a start the story of Jesus is merely a plagiarised story from older mythologies. Mythology that is firmly from the Bronze Age.

I have been to the Vatican and architecturally it is impressive but it's opulence disgusted me.

I'm working with a bonny Quine tonight who says she's 'traditional' regarding sex as she's big time into being one of gods children. It's me, her and a gay guy. The conversation turned to rimming and she fell silent and stated 'traditional'. Does this mean no sex before marriage or just missionary position? Dunno what's worse tbh.

I'm working with a bonny Quine tonight who says she's 'traditional' regarding sex as she's big time into being one of gods children. It's me, her and a gay guy. The conversation turned to rimming and she fell silent and stated 'traditional'. Does this mean no sex before marriage or just missionary position? Dunno what's worse tbh.

It would depend on which subcult of the christian cult she thinks is real.

If she's Branch Davidian then 'traditional' sex is all the chicks lining up and jumping on David Koresh's cock one after the other.

If she's Catholic it means unprotected, underage sex, getting pregnant (if it isn't gay, unprotected, paedophile rape... which is also a catholic tradition) , and having legions of children 'because its god's will'

If she's Family International... well, that's more or less catholic, except the child rape is also incestuous. Not that I'm saying catholics don't rape their own children, because they might for all I know.

Traditional, incestuous, paedophile rape.... she sounds like a dirty bitch, this 'traditional' slutty.

@Clydeside_Sheep:

Fair doos!

No.Yes.Yes.

There are around 1.2 billion catholics in the world, out of a total population of 7.2 billion.

What happens to the other 6 billion infidels after they die? Will they end up in hell? Or is that fate only reserved for non-believers? I sort of assumed that God would probably let off followers of other Christian sects and perhaps other entirely different religions, given that their heart was basically in right place? i.e. they still believe in and worship an almighty, but just got confused/misled by details somewhere along the line.

Is that a fair assumption to make? Or are you basically fucked unless you die a confirmed Catholic?

Also, I was genuinely serious when I said I'd like to 'see the light'. I reckon I'd definitely become a happier, more satisfied individual, if I could somehow find God. If I disregard the fact that they tend to be 'a few sandwiches short of a full picnic', most religious types I've encountered generally appear to be delirious happy... and that sort delirium really appeals to me. The problem is, that I'm going to take some convincing. I actually made the mistake of saying as much to a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses who chapped on my door several months ago. Since my admission, they've stepped up their efforts and have made several subsequent unsuccessful attempts to recruit me.

How would you recommend I go about finding God?

It would depend on which subcult of the christian cult she thinks is real.

If she's Branch Davidian then 'traditional' sex is all the chicks lining up and jumping on David Koresh's cock one after the other.

If she's Catholic it means unprotected, underage sex, getting pregnant (if it isn't gay, unprotected, paedophile rape... which is also a catholic tradition) , and having legions of children 'because its god's will'

If she's Family International... well, that's more or less catholic, except the child rape is also incestuous. Not that I'm saying catholics don't rape their own children, because they might for all I know.

Traditional, incestuous, paedophile rape.... she sounds like a dirty bitch, this 'traditional' slutty.

A superb summary!! So I've spoken to her, it's a free evangelical church she goes too in town, the city church or something. All happy clappy stuff. I assume she means singing etc and not excited about a sexually transmitted disease. I'm still nae sure if she's a shagger or not though.