Do You Believe In (A) God(S)?

StandFree1982

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in a God/Gods?

• No
    • Yes
    • Not sure
    • I believe in something else...(specify!)

* For me, it doesn't make sense to believe in something that has absolutely no evidence

** If a God or whatever did exist and came to me and said "Look StandFree1982, I know your not a believer so I thought i'd just pop down .."

* Lots of people say there is no evidence.

Then, if you ask them what they would consider to be evidence ..

** they give an ahemm.. juvenile answer - that has little thought behind it.

even Dawkins

* Lots of people say there is no evidence.

Then, if you ask them what they would consider to be evidence ..

** they give an ahemm.. juvenile answer - that has little thought behind it.

even Dawkins

Physically seeing God would be all the evidence I need.

Until that day comes I'll have my doubts that he's genuine.

Yes.

Grew up in a pretty 'religious' home, didn't have time for it. Personal circumstances and an evaluation of the facts have come to change my mind. I do agree that there are some pretty idiotic Christians out there. Think it's unfair to chastise the lot of them though, come across many that live out their faith pretty well.

Anyway, if you're an atheist or agnostic or what not then fair enough. It's your decision. See what happens later on, nobody can really know for sure who's right. That's why it's a faith.

Yes.

Grew up in a pretty 'religious' home, didn't have time for it. Personal circumstances and an evaluation of the facts have come to change my mind. I do agree that there are some pretty idiotic Christians out there. Think it's unfair to chastise the lot of them though, come across many that live out their faith pretty well.

Anyway, if you're an atheist or agnostic or what not then fair enough. It's your decision. See what happens later on, nobody can really know for sure who's right. That's why it's a faith.

Your default position should be disbelief until enough evidence is in place. Not just blind faith because some guy in a dress reads out bronze age mythology.

Your default position should be disbelief until enough evidence is in place. Not just blind faith because some guy in a dress reads out bronze age mythology.

My default position was disbelief for a long time. The second sentence is the type of sentence that gives atheists a bad rep among 'believers'. Thankfully I have plenty of atheist mates who talk about it openly and have a bit of a laugh about it. And thankfully this way it is for most people. The way it should be IMO.

Anyway, these threads are not particularly productive but I thought I'd add my vote and say what I voted for.

Yes.

Exactly what 'facts' did you evaluate that caused you to believe in god?

My default position was disbelief for a long time. The second sentence is the type of sentence that gives atheists a bad rep among 'believers'. Thankfully I have plenty of atheist mates who talk about it openly and have a bit of a laugh about it. And thankfully this way it is for most people. The way it should be IMO.

Anyway, these threads are not particularly productive but I thought I'd add my vote and say what I voted for.

You mean to say that us non believers have a good rep before we point out the obvious?

I'm a wee bit envious of people who believe in God. It must be comforting.

Is it comforting to think that you will sometime have to pay for your actions and thoughts- as the result of the law of cause and effect (karma).

or is it more comforting to think that there is nothing ,& therefor you can get away with anything you like, as long as your not caught by human justice..

Is it comforting to think that you will sometime have to pay for your actions and thoughts- as the result of the law of cause and effect (karma).

or is it more comforting to think that there is nothing ,& therefor you can get away with anything you like, as long as your not caught by human justice..

Interesting question. All I can say is that I have my own conscience to answer to and I was brought up to know right from wrong and good from bad without any help from the bible.

• Upvote 1

The second sentence is the type of sentence that gives atheists a bad rep among 'believers'

I think everyone knows the unpleasant atheists are only a tiny minority - just like unpleasant ppl among any group.

Most atheists do not even actually call themselves atheists, as to do so is to define themselves in the sphere of something they dont believe in.

So, it is strange how some ppl do choose a label which in itself is not stand alone.

I am not into sailing, so I never talk about sailing - I dont call myself an anti-sailing person. That would be weird.

Anyway, these threads are not particularly productive

They are mostly for atheists to shore up their own battlements! ;)

I think people in the modern era have great difficulty with religion for various reasons, not least many people are not big on logic and philosophy.

Much human behaviour in general is deeply irrational and some of those who claim to love reason and evidence are often the worst offenders in this regard.

For example, look at our secular society which flatters itself as reasonable and pro-science. Nothing could be further from the truth. Science is trampled underfoot by secularists just as soon as it becomes inconvenient. In comparison, religious (Catholic) morality is greatly informed by science (just as science is greatly influenced by Catholic thought).

Ultimately atheists do not seem to realise that their own position requires no less faith than does that of religious people - and is in fact infinitely more unlikely / less reasonable.

Its amazing to think that someone can believe s/he (themselves a puny, irrelevant, nondescript mortal) "just exists" but thinks it absurd to suggest a supreme being "just exists" - how ridiculous is that?

Modern culture plays a big part in peoples difficulty too - for example, even the word "God" immediately conjures a set of assumptions /judgements / prejudices in a persons head (typically an old, bearded man, sitting in a cloud, wearing robes). And so many people dismiss God based on their own erroneous preconceptions of him.

When I was in primary school the minister used to come and talk to us every Friday and we could ask questions when he was finished lecturing us.I remember very clearly when I became certain he was talking shite. I had two questions for him.

1. Do Japanese people get to go to heaven cos they don't have the bible so how could they know?

The answer to this was 'no' which I thought was profoundly unfair.

2. Do dogs get to go to heaven?

Again, 'no'. What a cock Jocky God is I was thinking. I wanted to see my dog again but they are excluded.

Religion and religious beliefs are the preserve of people with their head in the sand. One of the most common questions to be asked in primary school was wether you were Catholic or Protestant. I honestly never knew the answer but apparently you had to be one or the other. Excluding yourself from either party was not an option.

When I was in primary school the minister used to come and talk to us every Friday and we could ask questions when he was finished lecturing us.I remember very clearly when I became certain he was talking shite. I had two questions for him.

1. Do Japanese people get to go to heaven cos they don't have the bible so how could they know?

The answer to this was 'no' which I thought was profoundly unfair.

2. Do dogs get to go to heaven?

Again, 'no'. What a cock Jocky God is I was thinking. I wanted to see my dog again but they are excluded.

Religion and religious beliefs are the preserve of people with their head in the sand. One of the most common questions to be asked in primary school was wether you were Catholic or Protestant. I honestly never knew the answer but apparently you had to be one or the other. Excluding yourself from either party was not an option.

To be fair licking your own balls clean and then slobbering all over the face of someone of another species would probably be classed as a sin.

I'm a wee bit envious of people who believe in God. It must be comforting. Am also completely clear in my head that there is no presence with a mind greater than my own. It sucks to be right.

Pretty much the way I feel. Almost every deeply religious person I've met is deliriously happy. Unfortunately, I'm only too aware that the idea of higher power/being is complete nonsense.

I can honestly say I'd love to believe!

• Upvote 1