Do You Believe In (A) God(S)?

StandFree1982

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in a God/Gods?

• No
    • Yes
    • Not sure
    • I believe in something else...(specify!)

I'll hear not a fucking word said against Thor.

Top god, is Thor.

Incidentally, Thor, Odin, Loki et al, they were worshiped, and thought of, as Gods, not myths, in the same way Xians worship their cloud daddy as a god and not a myth.

EDIT: Not sure anyone worshiped Loki, though. He was a demigod, I believe.

I watched the hulk knock the complete shit out oh Loki in Avengers Assemble.

What strikes me about the religious, the overtly religious, is their remarkable level of denial and willful ignorance.

I'm not talking about Joe "I believe in God" Schmoe in particular, but rather the typically American "Have a Blessed Day with Angels on your faces, and atheist all worship the Devil," type religious.

There seems to be a bloody-minded delight in exhibiting their ignorance, a willful and ingrained ignorance without which their entire world view would crumble into meaningless. It also gives them a sense of inherent superiority, that they've 'seen the light' because somehow they're just better than you. And they'll "pray at you" for god, their personal buddy, to save your filthy soul from its current depravity.

I was a fairly mellow atheist at one time, I let their shit slide. Years of posting on Religious boards, and even running my own religious board for a while, pretty much hardened me to their shit. They get no slack from me when they come out with their baseless claims or their passive aggressive 'praying for y'all' bullshit.

Anyway, I've argued with religious sorts on just some of the most ludicrous, fucked up, ignorant claims you can imagine. Some of the crackers that stand out are.

* If god didn't make man and woman, why do men have one less rib than women.

* Atheists are Satanists

* How come the Earth is EXACTLY in the right position for us to survive

* How can a fish give birth to a monkey (the evolution 'argument')

* If we evolved from monkeys... how come there are still monkeys

\Now, I used to take time out to try to explain their misunderstanding, as did the other atheist posters, at which point the theists 'willful ignorance' kicks in, and they become completely incapable of understand painfully detailed explanations as to where they're going wrong in their perceptions/arguments. I hold my hand up to wasting many hours pulling my hair out trying to explain to Mary-Sue from Alabamy that "no-one's claiming a fish gave birth to a monkey", only to be met with "Yeah, y'all do. Y'all think a fish gave birth ta a monkey and then we had monkeys. Y'all are fools before god. Allelujah."

:clangers2:

Kelt,

I posted on the betting thread tonight that my ticket was up with 10 minutes to go, post that up and you're going to lose, keep quiet and it will probably come in.

Is it divine intervention.....look at this cunt celebrating before we've pointed the finger and made a judgement or is it just bad luck.

My life is littered with hard luck stories, I suspect we're part of a big computer game for gods like that Sims game, my god is a cunt! :laughing:

Kelt,

I posted on the betting thread tonight that my ticket was up with 10 minutes to go, post that up and you're going to lose, keep quiet and it will probably come in.

Is it divine intervention.....look at this cunt celebrating before we've pointed the finger and made a judgement or is it just bad luck.

My life is littered with hard luck stories, I suspect we're part of a big computer game for gods like that Sims game, my god is a cunt! :laughing:

I think it's pretty self-evident that if there IS a God, he's an absolute cunt.

• Upvote 1

god is a manifestation of our quest to justify our existence. watch out when dogs become sentient beings, they to will seek answers.

the us of a will calm down, it's a young country and once the masses realise it's all a load of bollocks, they should calm down.

peter sutcliffe listened to god, old testament god.

I think the fact that there is more than one religion confirms that there can't be a God

If memory serves me right there are officially around 20,000 branches of Christianity alone, worldwide.

Obviously you have Supercults like Catholicism and Protestantism, but even within those cults there are hundreds of sub-cults who worship their imaginary wizard in a different way from the rest. On the opposite end of the scale you have minor cults like Branch Davidians, which basically exist in order to let the cult leader fuck a bunch of women and play guitar.

The fact that their own Holy Books are so ambiguous as to allow over 20,000 official personal interpretations, (and probably ten times that number unofficial/unregistered) goes to show that even well organised cults like the Catholic Church can't even agree on what their pretendy Goblin in the Sky has to say about shit.

BIFF CAME DOWN FROM THE SKY WITH THE MAGICAL GOLDEN RINGS

Imaginary_Bearded_Sky_Daddy.gif

I asked a fairly religious person that I know if Adam and Eve had belly buttons. Yes she answered straight away without hesitation.

They were never born so why would they have them I asked.

You are a fool was the reply she muttered while walking away.

1-0 bonzo.

Cracker. :laughing:

They do seem to have an answer for most questions you ask them. I was informed by a guy I worked with who was a driller (oil not ass) who accepted dinosaurs as existing and said carbon dating is flawed as everything got contaminated with masses of carbon during their extinction. Not by a big fuck off asteroid either but by mass earth volcanic eruptions and a catastrophic flood. (Noah's Ark)

He's a very very clever man as well. :suicide:

Cracker. :laughing:

They do seem to have an answer for most questions you ask them. I was informed by a guy I worked with who was a driller (oil not ass) who accepted dinosaurs as existing and said carbon dating is flawed as everything got contaminated with masses of carbon during their extinction. Not by a big fuck off asteroid either but by mass earth volcanic eruptions and a catastrophic flood. (Noah's Ark)

He's a very very clever man as well. :suicide:

My favourite religious explanation for the fossil record is the one that goes, the bigger, more complex animals were able to run up hills to escape the flood, while the more primitive animals weren't fast or smart enough to get up the hills to escape the flooding.

This doesn;t, however, explain why dinosaurs aren't all at the very top levels of the fossil record, given their size.

The fossil record, according to one religious explanation - the fastest runners are all at the top of the fossil record, even though they aren't.

You HAVE to admire that sort of heels-dug-in stupidity.

I spent a lot of time arguing with creationists on youtube a couple of years back and it was amazing. They believe that Noah's flood actually happened and the world was covered in water. The glaring inconsistencies in an 900 odd year old guy and his family being on a boat for over a year are obvious. How did they have enough food to feed all those animals? How the fuck did a sloth manage to make it onto that boat? How did such a small family manage to clear up all that piss and shit on a daily basis? and so on.

The one question I did enjoy asking was "How do we still have fish?"

I would get answers like fish weren't on the ark because they can swim which led me into my follow up question.

If a global flood happened then there would no longer be any fresh water and the oceans would probably be desalinated so how do we still have fish?

I then obviously had to explain about fish being either fresh water or salt water fish and some fish that travel between the two at different development stages of their life.

fresh water fish wouldn't survive in salty water and salt water fish would die if the water wasn't salty enough.

their answer was "God can make the impossible possible"

Glad to say that a couple of them did say that I had given them something to think about.