Donside By-Election

cow

I actually decided this morning I will be voting no to independence. I don't have to give reasons why, I discussed it in my journey to work with the person that politics can be discussed with, I don't have to come on here and give me reasons also and get into massive long debates with people who claim to know their politics because I know I don't know very much - but I know enough to form my opinion and next year I will be a no voter.

Yet you feel the need to publically declare this?

I can understand how some people have nailed on their vote for 'yes' to independence early as they're not happy with how we're governed by the UK as a whole but I've no idea how anyone can decide cast iron that they are voting 'no' before the Scottish government have finally decided to go on the election drive.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

People voting no have as much reason to vote no as the people who are voting yes do.

It's personal choice which people don't have to give reasons for.

It's THEIR choice to do so.

Of course. It's the choice of voting for change or not though. Surely it's better off to wait and see what the hip haps are before voting against change?

The only reason I'm saying I understand why folk are fine to decide early for change is that they may already be fucked off with what's happening.

I'm not sure if central belt rule would have people representing Aberdeen any better than Central Belt rule. So you might have twats like Farage who know little about Scotland or its people, but then you also have twats at Holyrood that know little or nothing about the North East and its people.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree with it.

Purely by the law of averages, the circumstances for that are much less using the current Holyrood model than the current Westminster model.

At Holyrood you have 10 constituency MSPs plus 8 party list MSPs covering NE Scotland (which includes Angus & Dundee) out of a total of 129 (15%), whereas at Westminster you have 8 constituency MPs out of a total of 650 (1.4%). The views of NE Scotland are ten times more likely to be heard at Holyrood than at Westminster.

Obviously at present the First Minister of Scotland has a seat in NE Scotland and while that will not forever be the case, it is highly likely that there will always be at least one cabinet member from this area.

I actually decided this morning I will be voting no to independence. I don't have to give reasons why, I discussed it in my journey to work with the person that politics can be discussed with, I don't have to come on here and give me reasons also and get into massive long debates with people who claim to know their politics because I know I don't know very much - but I know enough to form my opinion and next year I will be a no voter.

Who is the person that politics can be discussed with?

It's a show for TA members up here to show how patriotic they are.

This isn't fabrication, this is absolutely bang on. Since this whole independence thing came around - the TA members have used it as a show to make out to everyone else how Scottish they are.

Not everyone admittedly (VDA) - but there are a lot who are doing this.

I think CoveSheep believes he's going to be employed as a border controller he's getting so into the whole thing.

I've found it embarrassing having it thrown in my face like it has been lately.

A year to go it's like this, fuck me - what's it going to be like with months before September 2014. I may go on a long fucking holiday.

Cove Sheep and Razor are quite involved in the YES campaign aren't they?

I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree with it.

Purely by the law of averages, the circumstances for that are much less using the current Holyrood model than the current Westminster model.

At Holyrood you have 10 constituency MSPs plus 8 party list MSPs covering NE Scotland (which includes Angus & Dundee) out of a total of 129 (15%), whereas at Westminster you have 8 constituency MPs out of a total of 650 (1.4%). The views of NE Scotland are ten times more likely to be heard at Holyrood than at Westminster.

Obviously at present the First Minister of Scotland has a seat in NE Scotland and while that will not forever be the case, it is highly likely that there will always be at least one cabinet member from this area.

When you see the people of Aberdeen trying to make Aberdeen a better place to be/live (I assume that is the main remit of the council), perhaps we are better with the lower percentage... :laughing: Your percentages are pretty simple as well, as if saying geographic location means aligned needs from central government. Aberdeen may be aligned to Bristol on specific issues, more so than Dundee...

I'm not really arguing either way on the whole vote, I just don't really buy in to the whole Westminster rule being terrible, Central Belt rule will be so much better argument. There are a lot of arguments still to occur over time.

Pretty good night for UKIP and the NF, I can see the former only getting stronger in Scotland.

If a good night is losing their deposit, I'd hate to see a bad night.

You are right that they can only get stronger in Scotland though, having lost every deposit in all elections in Scotland, they can't get any worse.

Pretty good night for UKIP and the NF, I can see the former only getting stronger in Scotland.

Then we should be very afraid. The NF are just neo-nazi football hooligans and an embarassment. UKIP are Thatcherites. While you may like that, I fucking don't and neither does 85% of Scotland's voters who have overwhelmingly rejected the Tory party for the best part of 50 odd years.

I know through living down south what UKIP are all about. I gave them my vote in 2010, as they were the best of the alternatives to the Lib-Lab-Con corrupt elite and made valid arguments against the EU's increasing (undemocratic) stranglehold on us, but while I agree with much of what they stand AGAINST, I think we need to look at what they stand FOR.

A resounding YES! vote looks more and more essential when I consider a future with either a New Lie-bour Party led by Communist Milibandsky, or a Tory/UKIP Coalition government with Farage and Boris Johnson.

*cringe*

• Downvote 1

This is a SNP area, I'm surprised it was that close, means the chance of a yes vote is extremely unlikely.

Let's thing about this then.

Total votes cast were: 19,200

29% voted NO = 5,568

Tory plus UKIP votes (1791+ 1128) = 2,919

Very few Labour or Lib dem voters seem to be apologists.

"71% of voters Reject the Union" :swear:

• Upvote 1

Outwith this forum, do people care that much about independence?

Not really spoken to anyone who is really arsed barring when I come on here.

Older generation very much so, they are pro independence but other than that haven't met people who discuss it much or give a fuck.

I really haven't given it much thought, one concern for me would be the worsening of the Central belt

bias when it comes to distribution of funding.

I'm Scottish and proud of it but more proud that i'm an Aberdonian and it's what my council does for the

city that is more of a concern to me.

Let's thing about this then.

Total votes cast were: 19,200

29% voted NO = 5,568

Tory plus UKIP votes (1791+ 1128) = 2,919

Very few Labour or Lib dem voters seem to be apologists.

"71% of voters Reject the Union" :swear:

Yesterday was surely all about voting the person who you thought would serve the electorate best

and had nothing to do with Independence which should be a totally different matter.

Politically Scotland and England couldn't be more different.

culturally theyre identical.

an enormous sweeping generalisation from someone with an agenda.

cow min, wheest. if we want your input we'll ask for it, ok.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Yesterday was surely all about voting the person who you thought would serve the electorate best

and had nothing to do with Independence which should be a totally different matter.

I know.

I was quoting the figures from the Indpendence poll gathered on the way out of the polling stations. :hypno:

culturally theyre identical.

an enormous sweeping generalisation from someone with an agenda.

cow min, wheest. if we want your input we'll ask for it, ok.

Most popular party in England - Conservatives . Standing in Scotland- Junk. Toxic.

Up and coming party in England - UKIP Standing in Scotland- Not welcome, lost deposits

Most popular party in Scotland SNP- Representation in England- null

Euro Sceptic ? England - YES Scotland NO

• Upvote 1

Cow,

I'm surprised someone your age is that bothered about politics, I was too busy drinking and rattling pills down my neck at your age to worry about any of that rubbish.

It's rather obvious you have no interest in politics or current affairs min. I'm using your posts as evidence.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1