Donside By-Election

cow

Scotland has 59 MPs in Westminster and 20% of them (12) are in government.

Onionists, as Cow calls them, might point out that only 10% of the Scottish MPs support Independence and yet there is to be a referendum on that issue and they might ask how anyone can see that as a system that is representative of Scotland and its interests?

Lolwut?

So there are 12 Scottish MP's in governance (and your including folk like Michael Moore btw!) so that's a whopping 0.8% of the total politicians at Westminister or less than 4% of the ruling government. Democracy is working is Scotland, right?

Of course hundreds of thousands of voters are forced to play second chance, as their preferred party of governance have zip change of winning power. So it's a game of picking the worse of an utterly awful bunch, and even then you won't get fair representation.

Then we have the Scottish MP's voting completely differently from the rest of the UK:

Trident:

Scottish MP's YES 40% NO 60%

Westminister YES 72% NO 28%

Scotland and rUK are politically very different.

Another great reason for independence.

• Upvote 1

Lolwut?

So there are 12 Scottish MP's in governance (and your including folk like Michael Moore btw!) so that's a whopping 0.8% of the total politicians at Westminister or less than 4% of the ruling government. Democracy is working is Scotland, right?

Of course hundreds of thousands of voters are forced to play second chance, as their preferred party of governance have zip change of winning power. So it's a game of picking the worse of an utterly awful bunch, and even then you won't get fair representation.

Then we have the Scottish MP's voting completely differently from the rest of the UK:

Trident:

Scottish MP's YES 40% NO 60%

Westminister YES 72% NO 28%

Scotland and rUK are politically very different.

Another great reason for independence.

Like Jocky you appear either to have made a mistake or are bad at sums.

There are 650 MPs at Westminister so it's 1.8% of the MPs and 4.6% of the government.

Scotland makes up 9% of the seats in total after the corrective boundary changes.

I sought not to pass comment on the make up of the parliament merely corrected the misleading post that there was only 1 scottish MP in government and to point out that there are twice as many in Government as those that were voted in on an Independence ticket.

Like Jocky you appear either to have made a mistake or are bad at sums.

There are 650 MPs at Westminister so it's 1.8% of the MPs and 4.6% of the government.

Scotland makes up 9% of the seats in total after the corrective boundary changes.

I sought not to pass comment on the make up of the parliament merely corrected the misleading post that there was only 1 scottish MP in government and to point out that there are twice as many in Government as those that were voted in on an Independence ticket.

You're correct on this one, I presumed the Tory/Lib-dem coalition had a majority of one and divided 12/326.

I'm utterly baffled why you're bringing up these figures. Do you understand there is absolutely no chance of the SNP forming governance(Rainbow or otherwise) at Westminister. UK parliamentary elections are tactical affairs, I don't believe I've ever voted SNP at General Elections, but I've been in favour of Scottish independence for at least 10 years now.

• Downvote 2

Hmmm.

Let me guess, you're actually bothered, you are a hard 'No'. Bothered enough to vote Scottish independence thread, but you can't come up with any reason to justify your illogical stance, so you resort to personal abuse.

It must be horrible to be so bitter.

Illogical to you, but my opinion to me is wholly accurate. I have no faith in the SNP to provide for me. I am not convinced by their schemes and tomfoolery and their bias towards the central belt.

You have previously spouted you want to 'close the hills'. Free Scotland indeed. You're a has been, likely with a beard and a boring childhood. You have no idea what it was like for my youth to grow up, SNP offer nothing.

• Upvote 1

Illogical to you, but my opinion to me is wholly accurate. I have no faith in the SNP to provide for me. I am not convinced by their schemes and tomfoolery and their bias towards the central belt.

You have previously spouted you want to 'close the hills'. Free Scotland indeed. You're a has been, likely with a beard and a boring childhood. You have no idea what it was like for my youth to grow up, SNP offer nothing.

I might have been joking about closing the hills :rolleyes: .

This ISN'T a vote on the SNP. IF you want to wipe the SNP of the face of the earth vote yes FFS. They will disband if there is a YES vote, if a no vote is returned well they will walk the 2016 Scottish elections according to latest opinion polls.

I'm surprised you want the next generation to continue with same problems you faced as a youth.

What age are you min?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Scotland has 59 MPs in Westminster and 20% of them (12) are in government.

Onionists, as Cow calls them, might point out that only 10% of the Scottish MPs support Independence and yet there is to be a referendum on that issue and they might ask how anyone can see that as a system that is representative of Scotland and its interests?

Those 12 that are in government represent a party that campaigned on a manifesto to push through electoral reform to banish the very same parliamentary imbalance you use to back up these figures, and then of course dropped their drawers when the time came to join the government. The 10% of Scottish MPs you refer to were voted in by 20% of those who voted, which is bad enough - and then in the Scottish parliamentary elections a year later, the SNP gained 45% & 44% of the constituency and list votes respectively compared to Labour's 32% & 26%.

My point being when a fair and representative voting system is deployed you appear to get a far more accurate cross-section of public opinion than the outmoded first-past-the-post system which can never be truly representative. Therefore if anyone is really asking the question you raise in bold there, they're either quite obnoxious, or plain stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The whole argument about having Tory governments without Tory MP's is ridiculous.

Do the South of England complain when there is Labour governments, even though they disproportionately vote Tory?

Do the Cornish complain, even though they've often been largely Lib Dem seats (and so are only getting their first ever 'representation')?

Your MP is supposed to represent his constituents, not his party. To do that, it doesn't particularly matter which party is in office.

On the whole 'yes' or 'no' thing, i remain undecided, but the icrackdown on freedoms conducted by the SNP and supported by so many of the Yes campaigners will probably force me to vote No. Why do they think its OK to ban singing songs, even if they are shite songs (despite my own desire to see X Factor banned)?

The whole argument about having Tory governments without Tory MP's is ridiculous.

Do the South of England complain when there is Labour governments, even though they disproportionately vote Tory?

Do the Cornish complain, even though they've often been largely Lib Dem seats (and so are only getting their first ever 'representation')?

Your MP is supposed to represent his constituents, not his party. To do that, it doesn't particularly matter which party is in office.

On the whole 'yes' or 'no' thing, i remain undecided, but the icrackdown on freedoms conducted by the SNP and supported by so many of the Yes campaigners will probably force me to vote No. Why do they think its OK to ban singing songs, even if they are shite songs (despite my own desire to see X Factor banned)?

Correct. Labour would never have won an election if only votes in England were counted.

• Downvote 1