I Wonder Who Has The Best Job In Aberdeen? (Working Away From Home Counts)

Good attitude cd. It takes years to work out a) what we want from life, b) what the right balance is for us as individuals, and most importantly c) how to get it.

I've had shit jobs that pay well and shit jobs that didn't pay well but they didn't seem that shit at the time. When I eventually worked out that I can't work with people (as colleagues, bosses mostly) and could only tolerate people when they are clients who pay me, then I never had a shit job again.

You'll be good. People with the right attitudes always get looked after by the god karma yingy yangster mannie.

Explain that you devout atheists? How come cunts with good attitudes ALWAYS find happiness and those with stinking negative, self-obsessed attitudes ALWAYS run into deep misfortune?

Be patient chaos. You're on the right path. Sloth is a killer. Work hard and with enthusiasm and keep your eyes and ears open.

:cheers:

Just out of interest :

How many offshore folk here would take a drop in pay to be based onshore in Aberdeen?

How many office based folk would go offshore for a rise in pay?

Never.

Couldnt pay me enough to be stuck in the middle of the north sea, working 12 hour shifts on a 20 year old bucket of rust.

Just out of interest :

How many offshore folk here would take a drop in pay to be based onshore in Aberdeen?

How many office based folk would go offshore for a rise in pay?

I've just done it. Took a small pay cut to move into an engineering role in the office. Was scunnered of offshore and the move came at the right time.

I started out on a very low wage and was always skint with going to the pub and football although at that time football was cheap compared to now (think it was about £4-6 to get in)

I also did long hours sometimes 16 hour days but as i was on shifts and young it was no problem

three jobs and a promotion later in engineering and i am on a very good wage although with a wife and family still skint lol

still do a lot of hours but not near as much as before but still get paid overtime even if i am now on a salary

reduce the hours just a very small bit and i think i am about perfect but with more responsibility sometimes you feel like you have to do the extra bit.

used to also fix computers/laptops in my spare time but anyone who has done this will know it sometimes takes a long time to get to the back of some problems and was doing my head in and eating up any free time i had so gave it the heave ho

although i will do the odd one if my son has to much work on (he has now taken over this thankless task)

basically i get a good wage but work hard for it and have had really crap wages as well so understand that side of it as well.

I'm always of the opinion it's not how much you earn, its how you spend it.

I work 2/3, earn your average offshore wage and use my time off to see as much of the world as possible and experience as much as I can during that time. Leased an apartment in Bangkok and have travelled somewhere different in Asia in the 9 months I've been 'living' here. I don't actually mind going back to work either as its a decent platform, easy job and its only another 14 days until I'm off travelling again.

I've never been one for being negative about Aberdeen but I don't know how bored I'd get if I moved back after living in a city the size of Bangkok

this thread has ended up quite good. :-)

obviously, my original post was humerous in part - the best job is not actually the most money x the least work, though work life balance is very important and though money isn't everything, it helps lubricate your life a little. I couldn't see the point of say doubling your income by doubling the hours and stress etc.

I've gone through periods of being uber keen and working like mad and then getting disenchanted for various reason. We all go through these phases I guess. To the guy who's on a 2/3 rotation, I've always thought that's about as perfect a working life as you can get though the Norwegians 2/4 is even better. You really get the chance to head off every time your home which is first class, though well done for taking advantage of the fact.

I'd still be curious to know though which jammy c3nt really is pulling in the most dosh in this city for the least effort. Paul Bernard's away home now, so someone must have taken up the mantle.

this thread has ended up quite good. :-)

obviously, my original post was humerous in part - the best job is not actually the most money x the least work, though work life balance is very important and though money isn't everything, it helps lubricate your life a little. I couldn't see the point of say doubling your income by doubling the hours and stress etc.

I've gone through periods of being uber keen and working like mad and then getting disenchanted for various reason. We all go through these phases I guess. To the guy who's on a 2/3 rotation, I've always thought that's about as perfect a working life as you can get though the Norwegians 2/4 is even better. You really get the chance to head off every time your home which is first class, though well done for taking advantage of the fact.

I'd still be curious to know though which jammy c3nt really is pulling in the most dosh in this city for the least effort. Paul Bernard's away home now, so someone must have taken up the mantle.

couldnt disagree more.

to me its far too regimented; it lack the impromptu do stuff at the last minute, edge of the seat, crest of a wave lifestyle that i like to ride.

similarly with a school teacher.

yeah 6 weeks holiday blah de blah. not when you want it though.

i can see the attraction but being away you miss so many simple things; from football games to periods of good weather through impromptu evenings out.

give me a 9-5 with my own choice of holdiays any day of the week.

couldnt disagree more.

to me its far too regimented; it lack the impromptu do stuff at the last minute, edge of the seat, crest of a wave lifestyle that i like to ride.

similarly with a school teacher.

yeah 6 weeks holiday blah de blah. not when you want it though.

i can see the attraction but being away you miss so many simple things; from football games to periods of good weather through impromptu evenings out.

give me a 9-5 with my own choice of holdiays any day of the week.

As regimented as you'd like to describe it the simple fact is you're still only working 140 -160 days of the year, that's a hell of a lot more time to do what you want than if you were to be working approx > 220 days a year. This year I've visited Hong Kong, Cambodia, Singapore, Bali, Vietnam (this weekend) and travelled around most of the islands in Thailand. I've also got holidays to New York (Sept) and Osaka, Kyoto & Tokyo (Oct) coming up. I couldn't do that on a Mon - Fri, 5 weeks holidays a year job.

I've worked both and both has their advantages and disadvantages, both are entirely dependant on the lifestyle you want to lead at the time!

I would hardly call beers after work 'edge of the seat' stuff though, however enjoyable it can be ;)

• Upvote 3

Thing with an office job is its hard to tweak more than 2 holidays a year out of it, whereas a 2/3 rotation opens up different possiblities. Mind you, there's nothing coming over you or me with two holidays a year - we all need a reality check sometimes. My gran wouldn't be happy hearing anyone moan about 'only' getting away twice a year - they fought a war you know (and to be fair, they actually did - AND then get one banana a week for the next decade wit rations)

There's always the here and now too in a Zen kind of way. You can never escape it, and you should never stop appreciating it. Even how you type the next l e t t e r

w o w

h e r e w e a r e

2/3 is great but I think folk with young families would prefer to be onshore. A mate of mine has been offered a great role onshore with a different company but would mean a 20k+ drop in money. Initially he was worried about the drop but think he's taking it so he can be home with the kids every night.

I enjoy spending time with my wife, family and friends too much to work offshore.

There was a time I would have done it, but nae now.

same here berty min.

but i guess we are the lucky few to actually have mates.

how do you work offshore andf maintain commitments like playing for a football club say?

The real eye opener for me was on day 1 of my first job out of university when I was instantly making well more money than my father was making made 35 years in his job. Certainly humbling and makes you think twice when you reckon you're having a bad day.

I've made the move from onshore to offshore and back again as part of my development and will likely make the move back offshore again at some point. Having the flexibility to do either means that I can keep my options open later in my career, depending on the family circumstances at the time. The income drop from offshore to onshore is significant, however my employers have a run down period of 1 year following an offshore assignment over which your offshore allowance is reduced to zero. Softens the landing but still a noticable drop in income!

My current job is demanding, so I'd say that although it is well paid - they certainly take their pound of flesh. My next move is considering whether I want to remain staff for the supposed 'career' or switch to a consulting role as the current market is hot with some staggering day rates and it seems that there are plenty engineers out there with less experience who are making a good go at it.

Left school at 16 with little qualifications, worked as a temp at royal mail for 3 month which gave me some money and experience, soon after that i got a job in a gas firm which involved filling bottles for medical and diving use, was very well paid and worked with good guys, was also a relaxed place to work, could start at 6 or 7 some days and finish at 1 on a friday which was always a boost, sadly I lost that job however I saved about £8k when working there at the age of 18 and despite taking a pretty big pay cut I'm fairly happy in my current job but aim to get offshore in the next year so i can make some proper money.

Must say that despite making less money than before I have a fairly good life style, money isn't an object and I get a lot of trips in when I can and always have a few good nights out a month as well as paying for gym memberships, personal trainers and some quality clothes.

• Downvote 1

Left school at 16 with little qualifications, worked as a temp at royal mail for 3 month which gave me some money and experience, soon after that i got a job in a gas firm which involved filling bottles for medical and diving use, was very well paid and worked with good guys, was also a relaxed place to work, could start at 6 or 7 some days and finish at 1 on a friday which was always a boost, sadly I lost that job however I saved about £8k when working there at the age of 18 and despite taking a pretty big pay cut I'm fairly happy in my current job but aim to get offshore in the next year so i can make some proper money. Must say that despite making less money than before I have a fairly good life style, money isn't an object and I get a lot of trips in when I can and always have a few good nights out a month as well as paying for gym memberships, personal trainers and some quality clothes.

Going by pictures the last 4 words are highly in dispute.