Europe

I thought we were only getting seeded for OUR first round tie.

Well & St's are seeded for theirs I thought also.

Was the seedings based on where we finished in the league and the fact that Saint Johnstone won the Scottish cup? I thought it may have been done on your previous european record?

The last game we won in Europe was in 2007.

Before that it was 2002.

That's 2 wins in 14 years.

Of course our European Seeding is fucking shambolic.

Both Motherwell and Perth St. Johnstone won in Europe last season*.

Of course they're seeded higher than us.

*couldn't be fucked checking if this was true.

Its done on previous European record. We were seeded R1 but not R2. Motherwell were seeded for 2, I think they have been in Europe for the last 6 seasons or something. Think St Johnstone were lucky as there was a few unknown teams we could have got but we got one of the hardest ties.

I'd say Groningen will have went "For fuck sake" when they drew us to be honest.

We 're easily one of the strongest unseeded teams in that draw.

We'll beat them easily I reckon. 1st round I've already written off as a "we won both legs" match.

Probably best myself and SOTR don't make predictions on this.

From a footballing point of view we could have been a lot better off but for 2 superb jollies abroad we hit the jackpot. Doesn't mean we can't progress however. Looking forward to them. Announced if we are home or away first yet. Itching to book my flights for both ties as we'll piss all over the Latvians. Money to be won on handicap betting too.

Aye, some TV work, a couple of interviews with the Daily Record, should keep the wolf from the door for another month or two.

DAILY RECORD

Friday 11th July 2014

As news reaches him of Aberdeen's safe passage to face his Dutch friends Groningen, Jimmy Calderwood cuts a forlorn figure as he gazes towards his pale blue forget-me-nots from his suburban Fife conservatory.

l

"I mind wee Felix that night in the Olympic Stadium (sic) in Munich telling me what a great little team we'd put together at Pittodrie......."

I

Ever the raconteur, the former Dons boss took his Pittodrie side through to the knockout stages of the Europa League, still the only non Old-Firm club to have achieved such a feat.

I

"We were the first provincial side to achieve that feat. I mind going to Ajax to speak with wee Frank last season. What a great lad. First-class......."

I

There's something distant and to be frank quite fishy about Jimmy as he settles down in his light-coloured cane furniture, has a quick game of pocket snooker and then reaches out for a packet of scampi fries, already half-eaten from before our meeting.

I

"I've applied for about 100 coaching jobs in Scotland since leaving Ross County, but nobody wants to know."

I

And he'd be right. We don't.

• Upvote 8

Fc Groningen finished 7th in the Dutch league. I imagine we are equally as good as one another. Hope we beat Riga first, can see that been a much closer set of games then some on here appear think.

I'm going to go out on a limb here & state that I think you are very wrong.

Especially the home tie.

I'm going to go out on a limb here & state that I think you are very wrong.

Especially the home tie.

I remember a lot of people thought we'd hammer Sigma, Bohemians, the previous Latvian team we played etc.... I do think DM is a different class of manager and will have us prepped for Europe. Just reading on my Dutch translator the Fc Groningen forum and they are generally hoping for Riga to go through.

aberdeen is een vieze grauwe offshore havenstad = Aberdeen is a dirty grey offshore port

I remember a lot of people thought we'd hammer Sigma, Bohemians, the previous Latvian team we played etc.... I do think DM is a different class of manager and will have us prepped for Europe. Just reading on my Dutch translator the Fc Groningen forum and they are generally hoping for Riga to go through.

aberdeen is een vieze grauwe offshore havenstad = Aberdeen is a dirty grey offshore port

Exactly.

Completely different Aberdeen side.

teams will be very apprehensive about playing this Aberdeen side. They weren't with the previous ones.