Scottish Cup Final

Those who have issues with the 'size' of trophies need to listen to the shite they are speaking.

We're in it to win trophies - why be a killjoy/negative twat about our achievements?

There is the desire and expectation of better things - then a line is crossed.

Some of you are never happy it's bordering on depression - and I suggest to contact your GP the morn asking for an emergency appointment - or section yourself.

Nobody is being miserable about winning a cup, regardless of which one we won. Only point I'm making is that Wright's achievements this season are bigger than McInnes's & therefore he is far more deserving of the MotY award. Simples (imo) Wright winning their first major trophy ever & McInnes winning our first minor trophy in almost 20 years is not the same in the slightest.

Delighted we won a cup & I'm also happy for St's that they won a trophy but if it was now they were giving out the MotY awards (like it should be as the season is now finished) then Wright would be more deserving of that particular award.

That's not belittling McInnes in any way because he's also had a fantastic season & given us back some pride & a team to be confident with going forward but Wright has given St Johnstone more imo & even more so when you compare our actual clubs & what they represent.

I've seen us win 6 Scottish cups and 5 league cups. The euphoria at winning changed not one jot whichever one it was.

Now a European trophy that really is different.

Well done Saints.

Bully for you, as have many of us on here but I can personally safely say that watching us lifting the Scottish cup, or league title always has & always will feel a lot bigger & better.

The League cup & our long absence from lifting a cup (any cup) is seriously clouding some peoples memories I feel.

I won't deny that that League cup was hugely more important & euphoric than any of our previous League cup triumphs (even against the OF) but that is all.

The Scottish cup is a whole different kettle of fish.

The Scottish Cup is a better trophy to win than the League Cup.

But it is not any harder to win.

Therefore, in terms of managerial achievement, the 2 are equivalent.

As has been pointed out, Saints finished lower in the league than they did last season. We finished 6 places higher and comfortably ahead of them.

McInnes is the better manager and more deserving of the award.

So there.

• Upvote 4

The Scottish Cup is a better trophy to win than the League Cup.

But it is not any harder to win.

Therefore, in terms of managerial achievement, the 2 are equivalent.

As has been pointed out, Saints finished lower in the league than they did last season. We finished 6 places higher and comfortably ahead of them.

McInnes is the better manager and more deserving of the award.

So there.

Depends on who your team is. Buckie Thistle could easily win the Scottish Cup but would find it impossible to win the League Cup. Therefore the League Cup is harder to win.

• Upvote 2

I've seen us win 6 Scottish cups and 5 league cups. The euphoria at winning changed not one jot whichever one it was.

Now a European trophy that really is different.

Well done Saints.

Bully for you, as have many of us on here

I doubt very many on here have seen that many trophy wins.

No, just pointing out that the league cup win will have been many on here's first trophy.

There's probably only a few who have seen 13 major trophy wins - that's excluding titles.

So they cannot justifiably compare then.

I'm not belittling the League cup triumph to these people but I will never treat that as anywhere near the euphoria of winning the Scottish cup, or the title. No matter how baron a spell we've endured.

• Upvote 1

To put it into perspective.

How's this for an example?

Ask any Hibs fan & I'd bet he'd take The Scottish cup next season over winning the League cup for the next 10 seasons in a row.

There's a little more to it with Hibs though. Their desire to win the Scottish Cup is more to do with shutting their neighbours up more than it would be for their own satisfaction.

There's a little more to it with Hibs though. Their desire to win the Scottish Cup is more to do with shutting their neighbours up more than it would be for their own satisfaction.

St Johnstone had NEVER won a cup.

Hibs have won top flight Leagues, League cup & also the Scottish cup a couple of times.

It may have been a fkn long time since they won the Scottish cup but they would treat the League cup as a minor cup all the same.

• Upvote 1

There's clubs in our leagues that have never won any of the 2 cups, they only have the dream of promotion and the nightmare of relegation and I for one doff my hat, to the supporters of these clubs. Stop and think,ffs.

Only the two highland teams have won neither but i agree with what you are saying

But as fine-n-dandy has pointed out many times this was not about belittling our cup win it was more to do with

manager of the year ie would it still have been the same choice now if it had not already been decided

The only people on here who are trying to change the subject are those that have already been proved wrong but wont admit it..

Hibs have won top flight Leagues, League cup & also the Scottish cup a couple of times.

It may have been a fkn long time since they won the Scottish cup but they would treat the League cup as a minor cup all the same.

They certainly didnt last time they won it

This thread is a bit crap but we'll have to deal with that over the next month or 2

I personally would far rather win 10 League Cups in a row than win 1 Scottish Cup!! Personal preference so debate is unnecessary - however there is little else to discuss so fire away

Or to put the stupid argument to bed

The Scottish cup carries

1 = More prize money

2 = Place in Europe

3 = More teams

4 = main national cup competition

The league cup carries

1 = less prize money

2 = NO place in Europe

3 = less teams

4 = second national cup competition

anyone who argues against that is not right in the head

They certainly didnt last time they won it

This thread is a bit crap but we'll have to deal with that over the next month or 2

I personally would far rather win 10 League Cups in a row than win 1 Scottish Cup!! Personal preference so debate is unnecessary - however there is little else to discuss so fire away

& I'm sure plenty other sides would also in all honesty but Hibs wouldn't & for me personally I wouldn't either.

How many League cups in a row would you give up for one Scottish cup? 10 is maybe a lot to give up but the point is that winning the Scottish cup is & always will be a much bigger achievement than winning the League cup.

They would never talk about merging the Scottish cup & the FA cup but they always speak of merging the League cups & that is for good reason.

Each to their own caledonia.

Just because one cup carries more bonuses than the other doesn't mean that winning the Scottish cup is any harder to do than winning the League cup.

Each to their own if certain people want to play down our best season in years to suit their agenda then fair play.

Or to put the stupid argument to bed

The Scottish cup carries

1 = More prize money

2 = Place in Europe

3 = More teams

4 = main national cup competition

The league cup carries

1 = less prize money

2 = NO place in Europe

3 = less teams

4 = second national cup competition

anyone who argues against that is not right in the head

Can't see past this....

As BBB has pointed out, this was not the case last time Hibs won the League Cup. Never heard the end of them winning that for months.

Hearts use the Scottish Cup > League Cup idea to beat Hibs over the head with because they've won it a few times recently, and was a way of belittling their achievement in 2007 since Hearts had won the 'big cup' the year before. Out with that, I've never really heard of many people make such a point of trying to say which is bigger/better than the other...until reading this thread.

I was envious of Saints and Jutes fans in the lead up to yesterday's game, in the same way that I have been for any cup final, League Cup or Scottish Cup, that the Dons haven't been involved in. Never have I felt League Cup exit less painful than Scottish Cup exit purely because it is the 'lesser' of the two competitions.

So long as the League Cup is listed as a major honour, I will treat it as such. So should everybody else.

Just because one cup carries more bonuses than the other doesn't mean that winning the Scottish cup is any harder to do than winning the League cup.

Each to their own if certain people want to play down our best season in years to suit their agenda then fair play.

Nobody is playing down our cup win or season in the slightest.

We finished where we finished & we won what we won & everyone was delighted with the League cup but gutted with the Scottish cup defeat & also the last league game.

Our season fizzled out where as St's finished with a massive bang & for that reason, Wright would get MotY over McInnes imo because I'm not letting bias over rule my thinking

Nobody is playing down our cup win or season in the slightest.

We finished where we finished & we won what we won & everyone was delighted with the League cup but gutted with the Scottish cup defeat & also the last league game.

Our season fizzled out where as St's finished with a massive bang & for that reason, Wright would get MotY over McInnes imo because I'm not letting bias over rule my thinking

Yes but you are a glue pot.

• Upvote 7

Nobody said it was harder where has this been invented from

and nobody wants to play down our season but the facts speak for themselves