Champions League

This is what I don't like about the Champions League - that terrific sides like Man Utd and Sevilla can go out by finishing bottom, but mediocre Europa League sides who finish third are still in the mix in Conference, ie. Bodo/Glimt, Larnaca (Cyprus) Sheriff Tiraspol (Moldova), etc. Not shitting on these teams, it's just that in Februaries, teams like Man Utd, Sevilla should still be in the UEFA cauldron of great teams in a knockout stage. Your Bragas and Lazios of 2022/23 who finish on 8, 9, 10 points, fair enough, but lesser teams who lose 3 or 4 matches, end up on 4 or 5 points in Europa should be exited out of the UEFA cups that season.

Maybe that will be the case in next season with the 36 team, ie. six groups of six teams will even things up. Of the 36 teams, the best performing eight teams go through automatically to Round of 16, then the teams ranked 9-24 enter a playoff for the other eight places in Round of 16.

Or they could expand Conference League to 48 teams with 12 groups of 4, plus the four best performing second placed teams going trough to Round of 16 and the relatively lesser sides who end up in Europa, instead go into an larger Conference League. You could get rid of those shitty qualifiers for Conference League, just place those "successful" (a relative term in Conference) teams into Conference not Europa. I almost said expand it to 56 even 64 teams, but that's fucking stretching it quite a bit at this stage, maybe in the next decade.

UEFA are bound of beef-up their cups in the coming years, the prestige and money up for grabs is astronomical.  

More and more teams are worthy of playing in Europe. 

The top 125 are worthy, I would say...

https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2024

The bottom 64 could boost themselves up to be of Conference League level, many are there already, obviously.

Aberdeen are there, as a legacy team, as a well-run club, as a team that attracts very good players from all over Europe. The Dons should be permanently in Europe this century and beating teams, topping their Conference group, inching into Europa League over the years, bouncing between Europa and Conference, getting into Conference Finals. Not an unrealistic goal. The "new stadium" quandary gets in the way, I feel. With proper investment in managers and players, the Dons could be the best side in Scotland, you need to wash that Celtic "domination" pish out of your head, some are inured to that and it's bollocks. If any wealthy tycoon football fanatic looked at Aberdeen F.C. they would see potential to develop a great UEFA club. 

Feeling dizzy? Sorry! 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Sevilla are out of Europe. They won the Europa League Final last season (in a dodgy way?) and they looked good early in the campaign, but they didn't show up in a few games, fans will be gutted. I like seeing the "smaller" Spanish sides do well domestically and in UEFA cups. They are a side that always make Europa League exciting. I was expecting them to outmatch Lens, but no.

Looks like Man Utd are going out of Europe, too. They have had flashes this season in their group, but nothing of the quality they once had.

5 hours ago, Dynamo said:

Thoroughly enjoyed Milans winner last night. A silly amount of Aberdeen fans seem to 'support' Newcastle these days. Get it up them

Surely not? Wtf is that all about? 

One of my gang has had a gallowgate end ST for 9 year now. He says the train from aberdeen for toon home games is busier now than it was pre money. A sad state of affairs tbh 

3 minutes ago, Poodler said:

One of my gang has had a gallowgate end ST for 9 year now. He says the train from aberdeen for toon home games is busier now than it was pre money. A sad state of affairs tbh 

You shouldn’t be associating yourself with these types.

2 hours ago, Poodler said:

Yeah, I had a mate who supported them when they were in the Prem under Keegan (bisexual) but he stopped talking about them when they became shit. Now he's going to the games again, but he'll quit again. Why bother. 

Napoli, Sociedad and Leipzig have a good chance of winning their games, I feel. Copenhagen have came along big time as a club over the past few years, they might give Man City a tough time. 

Champions of Asia, Urawa Reds play City tomorrow at 18:00 on TNT Sports in the Club World Cup Semi, in Saudi Arabia.

The other Semi is on tonight at 18:00: Fluminense v Al Ahly

A controversial anti-teabagging order is in place for the LGBTQ+ Brazilian fans.