Champions League

• 2 months later...

Is it me, or do Champions League knockout matches not have the same vibe, energy that they used to? This Porto-Arsenal game seems easy-osy. I prefer the Europa and Conference these days. Champ League is cagey now.

I thought that Napoli might shit it and get gubbed tonight, but it's looking like a 1-1 draw.

Many of the 2nd leg playoff games the morn will be mental...

17:45 Bodo/Glimt (2 - 2) Ajax
17:45 Zagreb (1 - 0) Betis
17:45 Qarabag (4 - 2) Braga
17:45 Freiburg (0 - 0) Lens
17:45 Toulouse (1 - 2) Benfica
20:00 Ferencváros (0 - 1) Olympiakos
20:00 Marseille (2 - 2) Shakhtar Donetsk
20:00 Roma (1 - 1) Feyenoord
20:00 Sparta Prague (1 - 3) Galatasaray

• 2 weeks later...

Real Madrid v Leipzig

Sounds nuts to say it, but Leipzig are a very good side, not quite under the radar, but they impressed me at the end of last season. Obviously, it's Leverkusen who are shaking things up in Germany this season, but Leipzig have a maverick quality to them, they are hated in Germany, even within the city of Leipzig! It's always great to be hated in football, always an advantage.

9 minutes ago, GAME OF BILLIONS said:

Real Madrid v Leipzig

Sounds nuts to say it, but Leipzig are a very good side, not quite under the radar, but they impressed me at the end of last season. Obviously, it's Leverkusen who are shaking things up in Germany this season, but Leipzig have a maverick quality to them, they are hated in Germany, even within the city of Leipzig! It's always great to be hated in football, always an advantage.

Fuck Leipzig.

Fizzy juice fuckers.

• Haha 1

Real Madrid play in a gay as fuck style these days. They don't look like a world class, cup-lifting dream team.

Who's going to win the Champions League? Whoever wins between Arsenal v Porto, I reckon.

Feels weird to look at a Portuguese side and say, "best in the world" but they look like it a lot of the time. All eyes are on Inter Milan, Man City, but mentally, they don't look rock solid, whereas Porto do. Not easy playing Arsenal at home, of course.

I also reckon that whoever wins between Liverpool and Man City on Sunday will win the league. Arsenal look great, though, but will they shit it again? Maybe, maybe...

Arsenal thoroughly deserved to get through to the quarters. Solid team, excellent, held their nerve. Porto, even more so, I would say, one of the most, "together" teams I have seen in years and they didn't spend insane amounts of money to get to where they are. They show how you can craft a great squad without taking ridiculous risks.

I've got a feeling that Man City will go out in the quarters. It's a shame that Atletico and Inter were drawn together and not against Man City, who got the easiest tie with an albeit solid Copenhagen who will only get stronger this decade. Man City haven't be tested all that much this season and Atletico are capable of beating them, not to say Inter and Arsenal v Man City in the Champions League would be great.

There's a huge gap in quality within the top 8 of the Champions League and the bottom 24, now 28 teams. It will be great to see those top 8 teams play each other in the Group Stage from now on. But I do wonder how intense football like that in September-December will impact the game, as there will also be World Cup qualifying-relevant Nations League in the same period. Scotland v Poland (Sunday) and Portugal v Scotland (Thursday back to back are already giving my guts 'n' airse and work oot, min!

The levels of fitness to be a tier 1 club and international player these days are now INSANE. Scottish culture at present doesn't produce players of that fitness level, sorry. And the reward for those that do in 2026? You get to play in the mountains of Mexico at the height of summer, high noon against Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, etc. That won't be a problem for the Austrians, Swiss, etc. The whole of Scottish football needs to be reevaluated. I'll be fucked if fucking Belgium and Switzerland outshine us.

• 4 weeks later...