Giving Money to Beggars

BTR

How often do you give  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Spare Change?

• Quite often
    • Once in a blue moon
    • Never - get a job!

I don't understand how so many people can become homeless. It's not difficult to get a full time job, even if it is something like working in McDonalds. Full time job on minimum wage gives you easily enough to rent a council flat and pay household bills and still have enough to buy stuff with. With so many council houses lying empty in bad areas, it'd make sense for the council to try and get people back on their feet, give them a flat so they have an address so they can get employment and start contributing to society again. Working in McDonalds and living in Sandilands has got to be better than living on the streets surely?

Quite idealistic there. Ever thought that maybe the reason these people lost their homes in the first place was because they weren't contributing to society? Which could have come about because of abuse of drugs and/or drink, gambling problems, debt problems etc etc.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CAPSLOCK
I think the last one I gave some change to was in Prague - they really make an effort there, laying down with their heed on the ground, almost praying.

I GAVE A 'BEGGAR' SOME MONEY IN PRAGUE TOO BUT SHE ONLY SANK TO HER KNEES. :(

Have dogs for 2 reasons. Firstly they get an extra benefit to feed their dog and secondly more people will give just because they have the dog aswell.

I'D IMAGINE THEY WOULD BE QUITE WARM TO CUDDLE UP TO AT NIGHT TOO.

PERSONALLY I DON'T GIVE THEM ANYTHING AS I'M FAR TOO CYNICAL ALTHOUGH I DO SHELL OUT ON CHARITIES. I DID MAKE A NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION THAT I'D START BUYING FOOD FOR THEM IF I WAS IN A SHOP AND SAW ANY OUTSIDE BUT HAVEN'T HAD THAT OPPORTUNITY YET.

Quite idealistic there. Ever thought that maybe the reason these people lost their homes in the first place was because they weren't contributing to society? Which could have come about because of abuse of drugs and/or drink, gambling problems, debt problems etc etc.

Then giving them money aint going to help them really is it?

I GAVE A 'BEGGAR' SOME MONEY IN PRAGUE TOO BUT SHE ONLY SANK TO HER KNEES. ;)

I'D IMAGINE THEY WOULD BE QUITE WARM TO CUDDLE UP TO AT NIGHT TOO.

PERSONALLY I DON'T GIVE THEM ANYTHING AS I'M FAR TOO CYNICAL ALTHOUGH I DO SHELL OUT ON CHARITIES. I DID MAKE A NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION THAT I'D START BUYING FOOD FOR THEM IF I WAS IN A SHOP AND SAW ANY OUTSIDE BUT HAVEN'T HAD THAT OPPORTUNITY YET.

Don't buy them food unless you wont to be hit over the head with the same tin of food you bought them!!!

Do homeless people do curses like gypsy's?? :(

I was told a story about a rich man and a big issue seller.

Rich man was standing in his Gucci loafers in an ATM queue. He was going to take out enough money to feed the homeless dude for a month. To spend in one night on alcohol.

The homeless dude asked Gucci man if he wanted to buy a big issue. Gucci boy pretended not to hear. As Gucci boy left the scene Homeless dude said "scuse me mate, you dropped your wallet". Gucci man looks furiously behind himself whilst patting his pockets. Homeless man says "aye, ye f*cking heard that though did ye".

Owned.

From my point of view, don't let cynicism get in the way of slipping some poor c*nt a quid. Or even just say hello.

Manners don't cost a thing.

Dont be such a cretin.

If the money they get was to go to sorting their life out and getting back on track then great and i probably would give a little but almost all the time it will be spent on drink, cigarettes or drugs, so wont get a thing from me!!

Guest CAPSLOCK

THE 1ST TIME I VISITED LONDON ABOUT 12 YEARS AGO, I CAME OUT A TUBE STATION IN COVENT GARDEN AND THERE WAS A WHOLE FAMILY LYING UNDER A DUVET. I WAS ABOUT TO DIP INTO MY POCKET WHEN THE 'DAD' ASKED ME IF I HAD A SPARE TENNER.

A TENNER!!!

I KNOW THINGS ARE EXPENSIVE IN LONDON BUT F*CK ME.

I FELT TOO ASHAMED TO HAND HIM THE COUPLE QUID I'D SCRAPED TOGETHER!

I was told a story about a rich man and a big issue seller.

Rich man was standing in his Gucci loafers in an ATM queue. He was going to take out enough money to feed the homeless dude for a month. To spend in one night on alcohol.

The homeless dude asked Gucci man if he wanted to buy a big issue. Gucci boy pretended not to hear. As Gucci boy left the scene Homeless dude said "scuse me mate, you dropped your wallet". Gucci man looks furiously behind himself whilst patting his pockets. Homeless man says "aye, ye f*cking heard that though did ye".

Owned.

From my point of view, don't let cynicism get in the way of slipping some poor c*nt a quid. Or even just say hello.

Manners don't cost a thing.

Exactly.

Amazes me the people who say that you "shouldnt give to them because of drink/drugs" etc. People make mistakes, it doesnt mean they should be deprived of the right to have food and water and clothing.

Guest El Padre
If the money they get was to go to sorting their life out and getting back on track then great and i probably would give a little but almost all the time it will be spent on drink, cigarettes or drugs, so wont get a thing from me!!

f*ck sake, do you think they get 10p from someone and go "Hmm, that's going to go straight into the trust fund!"?

Grow up man. :(

Exactly.

Amazes me the people who say that you "shouldnt give to them because of drink/drugs" etc. People make mistakes, it doesnt mean they should be deprived of the right to have food and water and clothing.

They have the right. They have the same rights as everyone else. They have the right to spend their benefits on food, water and clothing.

up to you man. it's your money. But i can guarantee that not every homeless person or beggar does that.

You know, it's their choice what to do with it. If they make the wrong choice then it's down to them, you've tried to help. I'm sure 2 quid out of your wage every now and then isn't going to break the bank, and im sure you'd feel slightly better about yourself for one small act of compassion.

up to you man. it's your money. But i can guarantee that not every homeless person or beggar does that.

You know, it's their choice what to do with it. If they make the wrong choice then it's down to them, you've tried to help. I'm sure 2 quid out of your wage every now and then isn't going to break the bank, and im sure you'd feel slightly better about yourself for one small act of compassion.

Agree hence why i make the choice not to give to them at all. Prefer to give to charities that will use the cash for good!!

They have the right. They have the same rights as everyone else. They have the right to spend their benefits on food, water and clothing.

what benefits do homeless people get?

God help you if you, or someone who's close to you ever finds themselves in that situation. I'm sure you'd be praying that passers by would be dipping into their pockets then.

what benefits do homeless people get?

God help you if you, or someone who's close to you ever finds themselves in that situation. I'm sure you'd be praying that passers by would be dipping into their pockets then.

They get sheltered housing for starters paid for (for limited time for them to sort themselves out if they so choose), they can get same benefits as every other person in the uk is entitled to aswell.

If i find myself in that situation then i will go out and get myself a job no matter where it is or what it is doing whether it be at Burger King, down the fish or sweeping the streets. I will take the offer of cheap council housing in Logie, Ferriers or Bedford and then pay my way.

Guest El Padre
They get sheltered housing for starters paid for (for limited time for them to sort themselves out if they so choose), they can get same benefits as every other person in the uk is entitled to aswell.

If i find myself in that situation then i will go out and get myself a job no matter where it is or what it is doing whether it be at Burger King, down the fish or sweeping the streets. I will take the offer of cheap council housing in Logie, Ferriers or Bedford and then pay my way.

It's that easy as well. Good on you.

How will you pay for your skag?

my word.....

tell me, how much of a grip on reality would you say you have?

Guest El Padre
my word.....

tell me, how much of a grip on reality would you say you have?

My guess is that he's about 18 and still lives with mummy and daddy, so most likely very little.

Guest El Padre
You would guess wrong then.

Since we are guessing i will guess a four eyed skinny freak who thinks he is hard but still wets the bed!!

Correct! :checkit:

Guest LondonScottish
You would guess wrong then.

Since we are guessing i will guess a four eyed skinny freak who thinks he is hard but still wets the bed!!

excellent mature debate in progress is see!!! :checkit::applause:

Guest CAPSLOCK

YOU MIGHT FIND IT A LITTLE DIFFICULT TO GET A JOB AS YOU HAVE NO FORWARDING ADDRESS OF FIXED ABODE.

THEN THERE'S A LITTLE PROBLEM WITH WHERE DO THEY SEND YOUR PAY EACH MONTH. YOU'LL STRUGGLE TO GET A BANK ACCOUNT WITHOUT REGISTERING AN ADDRESS.