Giving Money to Beggars

BTR

How often do you give  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Spare Change?

• Quite often
    • Once in a blue moon
    • Never - get a job!

You could add child abuse & mental health problems if you want to sound less of a heartless b*st*rd.

This is where a large number of homeless start out. The addictions can later obviously as an escape from their sad lives.

Of course there are professional beggars as well. It's just things are never black and white.

Why would I want to sound less heartless?

All I was doing was giving three quick examples of why there might be more to it than getting a job in McD's that pays enough to pay your council rent. I wanted to point out that some people have other expenses they need to cover, whether it be to fund addictions, or to repay debts accrued as a result of these. The person who I was responding to had painted a very simplistic picture, that was all I was trying to indicate.

I wasn't examining the causes of homelessness.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest glasgowdon

There is this guy that stands next to the fire exit at the top of the stairs. He is really cold and he says in a shivery junkie voice "aaaannyyy spaaare chaange for the homelessss pleeease".

Yesterday I was bored and dropped about 20 1p coins on the concrete floor at the top of the stairs and he stops talking and I could see him through the small gap between the doors looking in vain for the money.

:laughing:

I am hellbound.

There is this guy that stands next to the fire exit at the top of the stairs. He is really cold and he says in a shivery junkie voice "aaaannyyy spaaare chaange for the homelessss pleeease".

Yesterday I was bored and dropped about 20 1p coins on the concrete floor at the top of the stairs and he stops talking and I could see him through the small gap between the doors looking in vain for the money.

:laughing:

I am hellbound.

Cracker... :applause:

You should have put a fiver on a piece of string and pulled it away from him when he bent down to pick it up.

That would be another good one.

Best one was when i stayed in John Street. Superglue some 10p and 20p coins to the pavement outside Finnies the Jeweller at junction with George Street then back up to the flat for seat at the window with beers and watch the action of folk trying to pick them up!!

I like big issue sellers, they are good and speak to you even if you don't buy the mag!!!

Most normal people have friends they can speak to............ oh thats right i forget :dance::laughing:

Most normal people have friends they can speak to............ oh thats right i forget :spunk: :thumbs:

Haha GOOOOOOOD EEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!! :laughing:

Nah the day as i walked to get the bus one of them asked if i wanted his last one so instead of ignoring him i said no thanks mate, his reply thats ok pal have a good day and patted me on the back.

He could have said be like that then fatty or something or i could have walkied on by!!!

I never give money to beggars. There are enough charities around - both locally & nationally - established with the purpose of helping people who are homeless. If these people were serious about getting off the streets they could go to one of these organisations for help, instead of asking the public for handouts..and getting arsey when you don't give them money (or does this only happen in Dundee?). I'm more likely to buy a copy of the Big Issue as these people are at least trying to do something about their situation, and, I believe, they have to fulfill certain criteria before they are allowed to sell it...although, again, this does not stop them being rude when you don't buy their 'last copy, mister.'

The one thing that does annoy me about BI sellers is that they stand outside shop doorways...if I had my way, they wouldn't be able to do this.

• 4 years later...