George Square Bin Lorry Crash

Tommy

That'll be the official line.

Of courses the scaffies themselves will have accepted any beer/cash given as Christmas gifts by punters.

My old work used to give everyone a couple of beers at Christmas.

I'm sure they would have had some token line if one of the fitters had a similar incident!

They said in the news report that "No blame lies with the council or the drivers". However they will try and blame someone, they always do.

Not related, but that black guy who got "pushed" off the train from Chelsea fans is looking for compensation for his FAMILY and himself! What a load of fucking shite that is! HE should get an apology from the fans and the club, and that is it.

I saw him on the news saying he was still waiting for compensation. Fuck off, though his sort are well known for their love of the paper and unwillingness to work for it

It gets worse:

The fatal accident inquiry into the Glasgow bin lorry crash which killed six people has heard the driver had blacked out before while driving a bus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-33636146

Surely the driver and the council both have a case to answer - if you have a history of blacking out whilst driving, you should not be driving at all, let alone driving heavy vehicles in busy urban areas.

It should be investigated whether he declared this history to the council when starting his job with them.

People tend to black out after they have drunk too much, dont they?

If this had happened with eg a petrol tanker or lorry had gone out of control (ie private company vehicle) - and the driver had a history of blacking out at the wheel and was found with booze in the cab - I bet there would be a prosecution there. The public sector is unnaccountable.

The current glasgow council leader (gordon matheson) got caught sucking a guys dick in public - no prosecution for indecency.

His predecesor, Stephen Purcell, was a coke head, invovled with criminals and accused of giving bungs to his mates - no prosecution for corruption / drugs.

It gets worse:

Surely the driver and the council both have a case to answer - if you have a history of blacking out whilst driving, you should not be driving at all, let alone driving heavy vehicles in busy urban areas.

It should be investigated whether he declared this history to the council when starting his job with them.

If this had happened with eg a petrol tanker or lorry had gone out of control (ie private company vehicle) - and the driver had a history of blacking out at the wheel and was found with booze in the cab - I bet there would be a prosecution there. The public sector is unnaccountable.

The current glasgow council leader (gordon matheson) got caught sucking a guys dick in public - no prosecution for indecency.

His predecesor, Stephen Purcell, was a coke head, invovled with criminals and accused of giving bungs to his mates - no prosecution for corruption / drugs.

Glasgow. Smiles Better.

or something.

It gets worse:

You never had your dick sucked in public like?

Prude.

Looks like the two jaikies in the back of the truck were completely untrained in anything except emptying bins.

It also seems the guy had a blackout before but neglected to inform his employer.

And yet we are expected to believe that this was 'nobody's fault'?

It looks like a catalogue of absolute negligence to me, but then again maybe that is normal practice in Glasgow.

It turns out that, after the first blackout, the bus company doctor passed him as being fit to drive. We cant blame the guy for accepting what the doctor said.

So the spotlight turns onto the doctor - what did s/he find in the investigation, and on what grounds did they pass the guy as fit?

Still want to know why the booze was in the cab too (I thought it was actually illegal to have alcohol in the cab of any vehicle).

Not if the guy had a history of blackouts and his colleagues were ill trained jaikies with no driving licences.

I'd say the council are to blame in that instance, rather than an individual person, it's a collective failure of duty.

Aye but they are saying they won't put any blame on the driver. So if the driver never told the council then the council can't be "blamed" for this either. Blaming a doctor? we're turning into America with this blame culture.

The beers were at least unopened.

For unopened read...not drunk yet...their mode of transport had a built-in bottle bank for the ones they had already tanned...no-one will be prosecuted, as the lawsuit the Weegie Coonsil would have served on them, will make the Compo currently being pursued by the Scousers for Hillsboro , look like chicken feed...IMHO.
  • Upvote 1

I think that's about what it boils down to Redstar, a sweeping under the carpet to avoid huge litigation.

They were very quick to exonerate the driver but in hindsight it becomes clear why.

Had people known this stuff at the time I'd imagine there would have been absolute outrage.

• Upvote 1

Aye but they are saying they won't put any blame on the driver. So if the driver never told the council then the council can't be "blamed" for this either. Blaming a doctor? we're turning into America with this blame culture.

I think in this instance, rather than 'blame culture' people want to know how something so horrific happened so that it can't ever happen again.

• Upvote 1

Most of the things brought up so far in the enquiry could have been avoided if proper procedures had been in place and had been adhered to.

There's a fair chance the driver would not have been working as a driver had he himself been honest with his previous employer about blacking out at the wheel of a bus.

He also drove the bus shortly after blacking out, and did not inform his employer of the blackout prior to doing so, which clearly endangered others. This appears not to have been a concern for him.

These do not sound like the actions of a man who was being 100% honest with either himself or his employer.

I think that's about what it boils down to Redstar, a sweeping under the carpet to avoid huge litigation.

They were very quick to exonerate the driver but in hindsight it becomes clear why.

Had people known this stuff at the time I'd imagine there would have been absolute outrage.

Totally agree.

Why wasnt the investigation immediately? Dping it approaching 8 months later seesm designed to let interest / facts fade.

It was the exact same when the (male) council leader got caught sucking a guys dick in public. That happened way before Christmas, but it didnt appear in the press till early year / spring.

I think in this instance, rather than 'blame culture' people want to know how something so horrific happened so that it can't ever happen again.

Simple...fit breathalyser's to all Glasgow Council vehicles...they do this in the States (Texas) if you are just over the limit...lose your licence there and there is no way you can work...I know a guy who this happened to...you need to blow zero alchohol to start the vehicle and then every 30 minutes after...

The inquiry into the Glasgow bin lorry crash which killed six people has heard the driver "lied" on a DVLA form over a previous blackout.

Glasgow Sheriff Court has heard that 58-year-old Harry Clarke passed out at the wheel of a bus on 7 April 2010.
It has now heard a DVLA assessment form from 2011 noted he had no history of blackouts within the last five years.
One of Mr Clarke's managers agreed that if he did pass out in 2010 then the DVLA statement was a lie.

:clangers2:

So despite them saying no blame will be put on the driver, they have found that he lied about having this medical issue before and probably, very highly probably, shouldn't have been allowed to drive.

Is it the same with those with epilepsy whereby they are allowed to drive after x amount of years if they haven't had a fit in that time?

Either way....

I seen a couple of the drivers turning up to court in jeans and 'nice shirt' . These weegies make me sick.

meh. What are you expecting? at least they made the effort. I fully expected a beige tracksuit (bottoms and matching top) and a very short crew cut, with a fag hanging out of the mouth. The sort of louts you see mulling around Aberdeen's George Street.

• 3 weeks later...