Transfers News For The Inferior Teams

16 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I meant they had success in getting at least one of the two players they went for this window.

time will tell if they are a success in the terms of profitability later but I only meant in this instance as in getting their man.

Will see in January if they also get McGrath but (depending how he does between now & then) they may have missed that ship.

Seems you may have misunderstood my meaning. All I meant was they are at least willing to take the gambles on this type of player at moment more so than us. Cormack stated this is the type of plan for us going forward but never acted on his words in his first window with Glass. The opportunity was clearly there (for mcgrath) if Hibs were so close to doing a deal. Time will tell on Tait but as I said, I have no idea if he is any good.

I was surprised we didn't take in any of the good younger players from Scottish clubs this summer. 

We seemed to focus on experienced pros. (And Jack Gurr!)Possibly because they felt that the group of senior pros we did have lacked leadership? Which would be a fair observation. 

Although we were allegedly in for McGrath and Hamilton. Maybe the clubs were just asking too much for them?

41 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I was surprised we didn't take in any of the good younger players from Scottish clubs this summer. 

We seemed to focus on experienced pros. (And Jack Gurr!)Possibly because they felt that the group of senior pros we did have lacked leadership? Which would be a fair observation. 

Although we were allegedly in for McGrath and Hamilton. Maybe the clubs were just asking too much for them?

Maybe so but if we had a spare £500k for Hibs boy (which I think was just a BS attempt to get him & con our own fans we were trying knowing the offer would never be accepted) then how seriously did we really try for any? 

Only potential ‘gamble’ we have brought in, after all Cormacks talk, is Samuels really. All rest are of zero sell on value, or only to benefit of loaning clubs. 

Really not a good first window for Glass/Cormack combined to back up their chat of our ‘intentions’ 

Hence why I genuinely see Cormack as a snake oil salesman until he proves otherwise. Yes he’s put money into club etc. but he’s not been a man of his word in many instances & needs to be careful of continuing down the division route that splits fans opinion like Milne did.

Not a dig per say at him but a note of caution that should be stated without too much upset, other than completely biased sook ups ?

can only buy a certain type with money & BS but said BS/lack of honesty & borderline contempt will  make other types view him with equal contempt 

3 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Maybe so but if we had a spare £500k for Hibs boy (which I think was just a BS attempt to get him & con our own fans we were trying knowing the offer would never be accepted) then how seriously did we really try for any? 

Only potential ‘gamble’ we have brought in, after all Cormacks talk, is Samuels really. All rest are of zero sell on value, or only to benefit of loaning clubs. 

Really not a good first window for Glass/Cormack combined to back up their chat of our ‘intentions’ 

Hence why I genuinely see Cormack as a snake oil salesman until he proves otherwise. Yes he’s put money into club etc. but he’s not been a man of his word in many instances & needs to be careful of continuing down the division route that splits fans opinion like Milne did.

Not a dig per say at him but a note of caution that should be stated without too much upset, other than completely biased sook ups ?

I can understand it if they felt the need to bring in a core of experienced guys early on to set new standards within the squad. 

But I'll be disappointed if we continue that transfer strategy going forward.  We definitely need to be bringing younger guys with potential in as a core strategy from now on. 

3 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

It reads as a dig.

An important season and we’re in transition. What is so wrong with this first window to strengthen the spine with experience whilst developing the young talen and sellable assets we already have (Ferguson, McCrorie, Ramsay, McKenzie, Hancock, hell, maybe even they thought they could get a better consistent tune out of McLennan)

Samuels is a gamble as mentioned, maybe even Bates

We’ve potentially extended Hedges

Looks like a very positive first window, especially when compared to recent years

6 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

It reads as a dig.

An important season and we’re in transition. What is so wrong with this first window to strengthen the spine with experience whilst developing the young talen and sellable assets we already have (Ferguson, McCrorie, Ramsay, McKenzie, Hancock, hell, maybe even they thought they could get a better consistent tune out of McLennan)

Samuels is a gamble as mentioned, maybe even Bates

We’ve potentially extended Hedges

Looks like a very positive first window, especially when compared to recent years

I think I have made it pretty clear where my gripe is is terms of strengthening ‘the spine’ with experience also ? as as far as I’m concerned we have failed miserably in central defence where the damn root of said spine begins. It was like Gallagher was signed as the complete package to save defence & Bates was only brought in as a desperation signing in light of consi injury. Not to forget (of course) the enigma that is Devlin ?

My gripe with him not being man of his word/BS bravado is 100% with rgds the young Scottish talent for potential sell on etc.

10 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I think I have made it pretty clear where my gripe is is terms of strengthening ‘the spine’ with experience also ? as as far as I’m concerned we have failed miserably in central defence where the damn root of said spine begins. It was like Gallagher was signed as the complete package to save defence & Bates was only brought in as a desperation signing in light of consi injury. Not to forget (of course) the enigma that is Devlin ?

My gripe with him not being man of his word/BS bravado is 100% with rgds the young Scottish talent for potential sell on etc.

The spine doesn’t start in central defence  I think it starts at the goalie does it not 

2 minutes ago, thurso said:

Okay if your going for a high press the first line of defence starts with the attack so the spine starts at the centre forward.

Either way not centre defence 

? 

Well played. 

The whole 'experienced spine' thing is a bit of a myth though really isn't it? 

What does it even mean?  That you can only play inexperienced players at full back or on the wing?  

28 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

? 

Well played. 

The whole 'experienced spine' thing is a bit of a myth though really isn't it? 

What does it even mean?  That you can only play inexperienced players at full back or on the wing?  

Myth ?

of course it’s not a myth. It’s why teams set up to protect the centre, happy to allow it to go sideways, back and down the sides.

There are very limited goals conceded direct from the wings, so if you can protect the centre, then you’re more likely to be more successful.

As much as many people didn’t initially like it (myself included) Brown’s experience is instrumental in making us work better as a team.

Central defence, Glass would have looked at having Considine and Gallagher, both very experienced central defenders as a good base in this league. They obviously have a plan to develop McCrorie there and on the whole, he’s dom’e pretty well there so far.

7 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Myth ?

of course it’s not a myth. It’s why teams set up to protect the centre, happy to allow it to go sideways, back and down the sides.

There are very limited goals conceded direct from the wings, so if you can protect the centre, then you’re more likely to be more successful.

As much as many people didn’t initially like it (myself included) Brown’s experience is instrumental in making us work better as a team.

Central defence, Glass would have looked at having Considine and Gallagher, both very experienced central defenders as a good base in this league. They obviously have a plan to develop McCrorie there and on the whole, he’s dom’e pretty well there so far.

I think you misunderstood me. 

I'm not suggesting that a strong 'spine' isn't important. 

I'm challenging the theory that they all have to be experienced players. 

23 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think you misunderstood me. 

I'm not suggesting that a strong 'spine' isn't important. 

I'm challenging the theory that they all have to be experienced players. 

What are you expecting to be achieved with Glass just in the door and his first window of opportunity to reshape the team.

He’s expected to hit the ground running and I think we have a good blend of experience and youth in the side right now.

In time, the experienced will move on and the team will be developed . Our back 4 could end up Ramsay, Bates, McCrorie and McKenzie, so already pretty youthful and younger than we have been.

Remember, we are transitioning away from a McInnes team and it will take time, whilst at the same time, there is so much reward for having relative success this season as well as a target to be achieved.

7 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

What are you expecting to be achieved with Glass just in the door and his first window of opportunity to reshape the team.

He’s expected to hit the ground running and I think we have a good blend of experience and youth in the side right now.

In time, the experienced will move on and the team will be developed . Our back 4 could end up Ramsay, Bates, McCrorie and McKenzie, so already pretty youthful and younger than we have been.

Remember, we are transitioning away from a McInnes team and it will take time, whilst at the same time, there is so much reward for having relative success this season as well as a target to be achieved.

You've missed the point again.  I'm not criticising Glass or even talking about Aberdeen. 

8 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Myth ?

No he hasn’t. Barring hearts away he’s been shite 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

You've missed the point again.  I'm not criticising Glass or even talking about Aberdeen. 

Aberdeen1970, I like having a discussion but I have not missed the point.

I simply have a different opinion and a different level of expectation than maybe yourself.

This is an Aberdeen forum and the discussion had followed on from talking directly about Aberdeen and Glass's recruitment. I therefore was talking about Aberdeen and Glass's recruitment in my posts 

1 hour ago, NEM said:

No he hasn’t. Barring hearts away he’s been shite 

38 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Is the correct answer

We all see things differently. I think he added much needed pace in the back which helps facilitate the full backs to push on.

Is he the finished article, no, but I think he does a lot of good work which is unappreciated by many

3 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Aberdeen1970, I like having a discussion but I have not missed the point.

I simply have a different opinion and a different level of expectation than maybe yourself

You have missed the point. 

I was making a general observation that having a spine of players 30 or over isn't a necessary requirement. 

I made no reference to Glass' performance whatsoever. 

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

You have missed the point. 

? I haven't. I think you have

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I was making a general observation that having a spine of players 30 or over isn't a necessary requirement. 

I made no reference to Glass' performance whatsoever. 

You maybe made no reference to Glass in your posts, but the baseline of the "experienced spine" discussion of the team stemmed from FND's criticising Glass's recruitment.

36 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

? I haven't. I think you have

You maybe made no reference to Glass in your posts, but the baseline of the "experienced spine" discussion of the team stemmed from FND's criticising Glass's recruitment.

I was making a general point.  Threads are allowed to veer slightly from a linear path. 

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I was making a general point.  Threads are allowed to veer slightly from a linear path. 

not a problem, understood.

We were all talking about Aberdeen and Glass's recruitment, you was making a general point and distancing from Aberdeen's recruitment and Glass's performance without being clear you had veered to a more general point. 

I take it were all on point now ;)

6 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

not a problem, understood.

We were all talking about Aberdeen and Glass's recruitment, you was making a general point and distancing from Aberdeen's recruitment and Glass's performance without being clear you had veered to a more general point. 

I take it were all on point now ;)

Nae probs min. 

F and d does have a point though which he obviously repeats over and over again! 

The jury is still out on a fair few of the summer signings. 

And the Glass era is similarly balanced.  Could go either way at this point. 

All will be revealed over the next few months....