5 Asides

Sheeptastic

Never played 5s but was in the same Dons S form team as Russel Anderson, Dennis wyness, the Buchan guy, Tommy Wilson, David Craig, Malcolm Kadepo and a few others.

Was the keeper and the dons signed the other guy instead of me. Cant remember his name now but think he went to Huntly eventually.

Wyness was an awesome finisher at that level.

David was a great player too, surprised he never went on to a higher level. So him play for (I think) Montrose in a pre-season friendly - he was the best player on the park - including The Dons players. I think he had a point to prove after getting binned.

Never played 5s but was in the same Dons S form team as Russel Anderson, Dennis wyness, the Buchan guy, Tommy Wilson, David Craig, Malcolm Kadepo and a few others.

Was the keeper and the dons signed the other guy instead of me. Cant remember his name now but think he went to Huntly eventually.

Kev Morgan. A good Stockethill loon.

David was a great player too, surprised he never went on to a higher level. So him play for (I think) Montrose in a pre-season friendly - he was the best player on the park - including The Dons players. I think he had a point to prove after getting binned.

He had a handful of games with us at the Glens. Pish, contributed nothing.

Is he nae a DJ now?

11 vs 11 is better.

More of a physical ele.t to the full game.

5 aside is only for spanigh tiki taka faggots who don't like playing against old school bruisers

Cheers for the insight, there was me believing that the only physical activity you partake in is crawling from the bathroom to the bed at 7pm after a couple of premium lagers.

I've nae played fitba for ages, but was never really in to 5's. The pitch at the sports village is good though - spacious and you can still stick in a good sliding challenge without ripping off a few layers of skin.

I was never that great but could hold my own - just used to be really fit and had pretty good pace which probably made me look a lot better than I actually was. Could put in a decent cross and tackle/foul reasonably well, also got the height to win balls in the air. Tended not to pass the ball much as that involved looking up, but instead I'd just knock the ball into space and run as fast as I could up the wing in the hope of being able to get into a crossing position or win a throw or a corner...this is probably why I didn't like 5's, didn't suit my Ricky Foster A-game. I'm no longer fit or fast so probably pretty shit now, would love a kick about though! Played with and against Highland league/3rd division players and you could see the difference between them and the rest of us. They could just ease past people effortlessly and could read the game better than the rest of us.

• Upvote 1

I've played a fair amount of 5s over the years, played in a few of the leagues at Goals and Strikers. The lower divisions are usually more fun but once you're in the top league half the teams are just looking for a fight - usually the tinks from Tilly, Woodside, Middlefield etc. Can never understand folk getting so wound up over a game of 5s

Wyness was an awesome finisher at that level.

Similar list to me mate. Played school and club football with and / or against Wyness, Michael Craig, Tommy Wilson, David Craig, Pdepko (whatever), Gav Rae, Jamie Watt, Martin Bavidge. Name dropping of the z-list variety I know haha.

Trained with Lewis Utd for a bit when Deek Young was there, played Junior level for East End, played against Ollie1903 as well in fact. He was pish. ;)

Recently played against Micky Evans at 5s - former Plymouth Argyle player - and in his 40s with a massive belly he was still quality despite barely being able to move.

An utterly un-illustrious career. I also played amateurs when I lived in Hamilton, and in one game, an opposition player got sent off, so went back to his car, and drove the car on to the pitch chasing the referee. Fucking brilliant. And played inside Barlinnie Prison cos they were in our league. Fucking Glasgow eh.

• Upvote 1

Used to play 3 times a week in the gym, I relied heavily on my stamina and pace (yes I did have both of those) so would play at the back, one of the guys I played with was fucking ace for talking you through the games which helped turn me in to a slightly better player, due to injuries (feet are fucked) and working I now can't manage any of those games

Yeah we've heard this all before. German style midfielder pinging Hollywood passes to everyone etc etc.

But going by form I reckon you'd be like Dale Winton with a pair of high heels on scared to get dirty.

No.

I was saying the 11 aside game is better than the 5 aside game

No.

I was saying the 11 aside game is better than the 5 aside game

Totally different games played for different reasons.

Other than professional obviously, outside amateur and junior football, there aren't really opportunities to play 11s. So for people that don't have the time for whatever reasons, aren't good/fit enough, then 5s is a good outlet for them to play football. 5 asides is brilliant for what it is.

Fortunate enough to have a group of 10 of us that are good mates and play to a good standard on a weekly basis to keep the cardio ticking and give us something to look forward to during the working week. I enjoy it.

Kev Morgan. A good Stockethill loon.

He had a handful of games with us at the Glens. Pish, contributed nothing.

Is he nae a DJ now?

Shocked to hear David Craig wasn't competitive at that level. I suppose the wind was taken from his sails after rejection at a senior level. I believe he was DJing while at Aberdeen, which may well have been the distraction?

Similar list to me mate. Played school and club football with and / or against Wyness, Michael Craig, Tommy Wilson, David Craig, Pdepko (whatever), Gav Rae, Jamie Watt, Martin Bavidge. Name dropping of the z-list variety I know haha.

Trained with Lewis Utd for a bit when Deek Young was there, played Junior level for East End, played against Ollie1903 as well in fact. He was pish. ;)

:laughing: