Kenny Mclean

I am really surprised and really impressed by this signing. Having seen him twice this season and being a keen Sportscene enthusiast I think he is going to be a huge player for us. I never even considered the possibility of him coming in this month. And 300k?? Jesus.

We have to kick on and at least finish comfortably in 2nd place with a cushion from 3rd. Then win the league by 30 points next season with Shindogg.

Of all the areas we needed strengthening, it's been this. A dynamic central midfielder. I stated yesterday or the day before, that the experiment of having Hayes in the middle, just isn't working. Jack and Flood/Robson was always too defensive. We relied too much on our width last season, and with Pawlett off the boil, we have nothing going forward through the middle now.
So, Hayes back to left wing, McGinn right (where he has a pretty good record of setting up goals for Rooney this season). Jack and McLean in middle... Rooney up front and potentially Pawlett in behind, or Goodwillie at a push. Either way, it allows us to drop one of our under-performing attacking players, of which we have no shortage of lately.

Disappointed that we never captured Shinnie as I think his signing may have pushed us on. Considine will cope, but not in the same league as Shinnie.

Of all the areas we needed strengthening, it's been this. A dynamic central midfielder. I stated yesterday or the day before, that the experiment of having Hayes in the middle, just isn't working. Jack and Flood/Robson was always too defensive. We relied too much on our width last season, and with Pawlett off the boil, we have nothing going forward through the middle now.

So, Hayes back to left wing, McGinn right (where he has a pretty good record of setting up goals for Rooney this season). Jack and McLean in middle... Rooney up front and potentially Pawlett in behind, or Goodwillie at a push. Either way, it allows us to drop one of our under-performing attacking players, of which we have no shortage of lately.

Disappointed that we never captured Shinnie as I think his signing may have pushed us on. Considine will cope, but not in the same league as Shinnie.

Disagree, wasn't an experiment but more of a necessity given the our centre mid situation. Glad we've moved to rectify this and hopefully it will mean wingers on the wing and not one of Rooney or Goodwillie, but to say Hayes in the middle was an experiment that didn't work is unfair. He's been put there to do a job and done it pretty well IMO.

• Upvote 1

I remember him scoring a goal against us a few years ago (think it was the game where Fatty Broon misjudged a free kick and sort of ducked away from it). He looked decent and I thought he was one of those journeymen who seem to have a decent game against us. Kept an eye out for him since then and have always been very impressed. When I saw the rumour last week that we were after him I didn't think there was ny hope in hell.

Glad to be wrong.

I remember him scoring a goal against us a few years ago (think it was the game where Fatty Broon misjudged a free kick and sort of ducked away from it). He looked decent and I thought he was one of those journeymen who seem to have a decent game against us. Kept an eye out for him since then and have always been very impressed. When I saw the rumour last week that we were after him I didn't think there was ny hope in hell.

Glad to be wrong.

This?

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=6584&season=2011-12&squad=Senior

He was excellent that night. They should have hammered us.

I think him & Jack as a centre midfield pair will be fkn fantastic for us & really hope Jack commits to a longer contract (if for nothing else than to see us get max value for him).

Would like to see them playing together for longer than just this season but do think Jack is certainly away in Summer unfortunately.

They 'SHOULD' compliment each other a hell of a lot.

Jack rarely misplaces a pass & loses us posession & McLean creates lots of chances for forward players by slipping thorough some great balls to run onto (& also scores good goals himself).

Would be tempted to play flood in behind them both as a back up in the event that we do lose possession, or to pressure the opposition into losing the ball but not sure if it would work.

Think Pawlett, or McGinn may have to work pretty hard to stay in the first team every week now cos once McLean gets in, he'll be hard to shift.

That point moved us up to joint tenth or joint bottom in other words.

So although Saturday was bloody awful things have been a lot worse.

Re McLean guy in my work is a buddies fan and says he's gutted he's left and joined us.

Now let's go for the Hamilton goalie offering them both of ours as a sweetener.

I think him & Jack as a centre midfield pair will be fkn fantastic for us & really hope Jack commits to a longer contract (if for nothing else than to see us get max value for him).

Would like to see them playing together for longer than just this season but do think Jack is certainly away in Summer unfortunately.

They 'SHOULD' compliment each other a hell of a lot.

Jack rarely misplaces a pass & loses us posession & McLean creates lots of chances for forward players by slipping thorough some great balls to run onto (& also scores good goals himself).

Would be tempted to play flood in behind them both as a back up in the event that we do lose possession, or to pressure the opposition into losing the ball but not sure if it would work.

Think Pawlett, or McGinn may have to work pretty hard to stay in the first team every week now cos once McLean gets in, he'll be hard to shift.

Yeah think jack will go for £1m in the summer and Del Boy got our replacement in early so clubs can't try and bleed us dry when we have the jack cash burning a hole in our pocket.

Robson retiring so I would keep low on.