• 1 month later...

What if a keeper hadn't made a save, what if we hadn't scored a goal, what if an opponent hadn't taken advantage of an early lead?

You could make those statements about any game

We could be playing better- yes - but equally we've been missing key players and struggled to field a consistent team

But the table doesn't lie as they say and we've some of the weaker teams on paper to come from the first 11 fixtures and a chance to build on a solid if uninspiring start

• Downvote 1

Great result yesterday but can't help but feel slightly bemused at the approach we took. Here's some thoughts:

https://statsandminiskirts.wordpress.com/2016/09/26/does-the-result-validate-the-means/

Good blog.

I think now that the euphoria of the result has died down now that a good portion of the support feel the same.

Perhaps McInnes feels the same. But he knows confidence within the squad perhaps isn't what it should be and he's nursing the squad out of it's funk and the result is his pragmatism.

For all of their possession, I'm struggling to think of someone that had a good game for them. They never looked threatening and as bad as we were they only once made use of their possession to create a chance from open play which "Waggy" blootered over the bar after an apparent handball by Garner. Hayes' bad defending and probably an error of judgement thinking he was still outside the box was what cost us a goal. Not a fragile back 4, not a defensive approach, not a lack of quality, just bad defending from a winger (sorry Johnny).

We could well have went out and dominated if we were playing Football Manager. In real life, where we were pushed until the 90th minute against Premiership opposition 2 days after they strolled it against a Championship side, we needed to take it easy. There was a blatant lack of respect for them and their "quality squad" and it (eventually) paid off.

For all of their possession, I'm struggling to think of someone that had a good game for them. They never looked threatening and as bad as we were they only once made use of their possession to create a chance from open play which "Waggy" blootered over the bar after an apparent handball by Garner. Hayes' bad defending and probably an error of judgement thinking he was still outside the box was what cost us a goal. Not a fragile back 4, not a defensive approach, not a lack of quality, just bad defending from a winger (sorry Johnny).

We could well have went out and dominated if we were playing Football Manager. In real life, where we were pushed until the 90th minute against Premiership opposition 2 days after they strolled it against a Championship side, we needed to take it easy. There was a blatant lack of respect for them and their "quality squad" and it (eventually) paid off.

The only player of theirs who I thought looked decent (and I don't think much of him) was Jason Holt. Looked good on the ball. He did have as much time as he wanted though.

The only player of theirs who I thought looked decent (and I don't think much of him) was Jason Holt. Looked good on the ball. He did have as much time as he wanted though.

Him over Jack? Not a chance! I'd take him as part of a midfield 2 though. McKay on previous experience in place of the on loan Burns but not based on Sunday and only because it's a permanent move.

Him over Jack? Not a chance! I'd take him as part of a midfield 2 though. McKay on previous experience in place of the on loan Burns but not based on Sunday and only because it's a permanent move.

Jack wasn't playing on Sunday though.

EDIT: McKay is an Old Firm hype job. He wasn't good enough for them when they reached the Championship, then scored a screamer against Celtic. Suddenly he is in Scotland squads and valued at £10m.

Jack wasn't playing on Sunday though.

EDIT: McKay is an Old Firm hype job. He wasn't good enough for them when they reached the Championship, then scored a screamer against Celtic. Suddenly he is in Scotland squads and valued at £10m.

I'd mixed up my arguments. Was debating with workpals how many we'd take from them.

McKay I'd take, but not in place of Hayes and McGinn. He's looked ok against the shite in the league when I've seen him. If he gets space he's valuable which would be wasted in a Scotland team unless we're playing Malta etc.

Great result yesterday but can't help but feel slightly bemused at the approach we took. Here's some thoughts:

https://statsandminiskirts.wordpress.com/2016/09/26/does-the-result-validate-the-means/

Good read, lots of ifs and buts which you can get during any 90 minutes though but definitely a feeling I have myself in that we were set very negative throughout the first half in particular.

Our wide guys were so deep, I don't know why this was the case, was it to draw the two very attack minded full backs of Rangers forward and look for Pawlett to spring into the gaps against slow ponderous Centre- half's. That's what I felt watching it, but it did not work in the slightest during the first 45. The poor standard of our passing saw to that.

Rangers were neat and tidy and I thought they were better than I expected as I have no previous experience of watching any of their games on TV. Hallidays, Holts, Waghorns, although Id heard of them, were all new to me on Sunday.

Would I take any of their players, I suppose its a bit controversial to say, but I would have Lee Wallace and that's only because we are not playing our best full back in his best position.

Good read, but did you really think McKay was a threat? He didn't bother me once, until he megged Logan. After that he was anonymous again.

I think him making a mockery of Logan influenced my perspective on that one yeah.

Certainly also take the points on board regarding ifs and buts. It's hard not to think counterfactually in football but I think it was specifically on my mind this past week because of the comments on Sportscene etc about how great a week it was for Aberdeen when in another world it could have been quite the opposite.

Appreciate the feedback guys as always.

The if & buts are important.

If Maddison hadn't scored that free kick then it would have been if only he'd scored that but as he didn't we were pish & showed them far too much respect

If Lewis hadn't made the save v St's & Rooney hadn't taken his header it would have been exactly the same (we stood off & showed St's far too much respect & played THEIR game)

Same even regarding Dundee, as it was in all the draws with St's, Hearts & Caley.

Bottom line is for me that McInnes is too negative a lot of the time (especially given the choice of attacking players he has at his disposal). He shows worse teams than us far too much respect sometimes & as a result ends up playing in their hands mostly & resorting to counter attacking football.

A couple of last minute winners have saved him lately but they do not hide the bigger picture for me. We could/should be so much better than our results (because of how he sets us out to play) thus far.

That's not belittling/taking away from the last three great results. We still need to kick on from them in a more positive fashion though.