Kairat Almaty V Aberdeen (2 - 1)

Guest RosemountRed

Kairat are very dangerous going forward, but they don't look too comfortable at the back and we dominated the midfield in the second half so we need to approach the game in a similar vain in the second leg.

I thought their keeper looked dodge. Hopefully get abit of pressure onto him.

Very happy with how we reacted to going 2-0 down, for me we started slowly but didn't do much wrong to find ourselves 2-0 down and looking a little lost but each and everyone one of those players pulled together to get back in to it, for me it's great to see we have players with such strong resolve, a few years ago we'd have came back from there 4-0 down, easily.

Mclean is really starting to look the part, finds himself in some great positions, also finds lots of space and always looks up to see what's on.

We did plenty wrong to find ourselves 2 down.

Failed to track the runner in the pass and move for the 1st. Too slow to react.

2nd goal we again sat off too much in midfield allowing the guy to get a shot off and score a screamer.

Thon Tymoschuk laddie strolled the game, barely broke sweat the whole game.

As you say we reacted well to going behind.

Almaty punished us for our poor start, which Rijeka didn't but should have.

We'll go through the tie after playing at Pittodrie.

2-1 was a fair result I thought. They had a few very good chances, but as did we.

Roll on next Thursday!!! It might be a good thing having the United game between the two ties as it gives us more game time to really tune our game, you could tell they are already up and running in their league, where as we struggle to get going at times.

As many have already said, difference between Rijeka away and last night was that they did manage to score the two early goals that the Croatians didn't. Mind you, Tomasov's chances in Rijeka were easier to score than the two Kairat did...

Don't think much more could have been done to prevent either to be honest. First was a sublime passing move that we're unlikely to see in our own league. Even though a runner is dropped, it's football of a great standard from them. Second goal: easy to say the boy should have been closed down, but I think a bit of cautiousness had set in about the players from the nature of the first goal conceded, meaning nobody was keen to drop and close him down. I was quite happy with that before he took the shot because there's absolutely no way I was expecting them to score from there. It's an insane strike. Incredible how it curves right away from Ward to get above him and in. Again, we're not going to concede goals like that domestically.

On the general approach to the game, I'd say we perhaps over complicated things. Our set up against Rijeka was perfect. We knew they could work very well as a unit. I'm not that convinced Kairat can operate all that well as an XI, just that they have some fantastic individuals. Would say there's maybe four or five players in that team last night that are a good couple of steps up from anyone we have. The rest are quite similar in ability to ourselves, imo. In the second half in particular, our shape was a bit simpler, and seemed to be more effective. The confidence our goal gave us, and how much it seemed to take out of Kairat (for around 10 mins or so anyway), is encouraging ahead of the return leg.

Next week will be interesting. We need at least a goal no matter what, so I think we could see a pretty attacking looking formation starting the game.

We did plenty wrong to find ourselves 2 down.

Failed to track the runner in the pass and move for the 1st. Too slow to react.

2nd goal we again sat off too much in midfield allowing the guy to get a shot off and score a screamer.

Thon Tymoschuk laddie strolled the game, barely broke sweat the whole game.

As you say we reacted well to going behind.

Almaty punished us for our poor start, which Rijeka didn't but should have.

We'll go through the tie after playing at Pittodrie.

For me you want to be sitting off allowing them to shoot from there, it was a great hit, could argue that Ward was a touch too far off his line but that's nit picking to the extreme.

Mutant,

Goodwillie is undoubtedly better with ball to feet, no arguement there. He can also take a ball down and draw a foul also. My point is simply that with a decent, clever and usually over protected centre half like VVD coupled with our usual long ball tactic being 2feet too high then it's a waste of time playing Goodwillie in THAT situation. Ironically, once we got the goal last night Goodwillie was exactly what we needed to receive the ball upfield and keep it there. But was its rooneys robustness that provided the stimulus for the goal? Or mcleans ability to find space.

May and Goodwillie would be low, fast and deadly. No question. But you can punt high balls all season to them if you want. It's the midfield triangle of jack shinnie and x that is the work in progress just now. But who is x? Hayes (of early last season) Goodwillie, Maclean, even flood for the pish teams? All good shouts. When that clicks, we'll click.

Their first goal we should have defended much better, but they'll no doubt be saying the same about our goal.

Their second was outrageous. If i'm defending and I see a guy away to shoot from 40 yards, i'm thinking on you go mate that's fine by me. Far more often than not shots like that end up nowhere near the goal, sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say well done.

Think it'll be a close game at Pittodrie, can see it going to extra time. Hopefully it's pissing down with rain and seagulls are shitting all over them. They won't have experienced such conditions before and we'll have the advantage.

Hopefully the Dundee Utd game doesn't take too much out of us