New Goalkeeper

Guest RosemountRed

Bain has improved enormously over the past 18 months. He's kept Dundee in a number of matches this season. A united fan I know, was recently trying to tell me that Bain and Hemmings were the only reasons that Dundee weren't joining them in a relegation fight :hysterical: Having said that, not sure 250K couldn't be spent better elsewhere?

Did someone honestly suggest Samson as goalie for next season?

Jesus.

I'm not particularly banging a drum for Samson, I simply pointed out that in my opinion he's as good as Bain and available for nothing (as is McGovern, perhaps a better option), and I don't think Bain, nor any other GK in Scotland bar Craig Gordon, is worth any kind of money to us if we're going to limit our market to an average keeper with decent SPL form. The context further being that it is very very difficult to get a good goalkeeper in the limited market of the Scottish league without paying a fee and it's debatable whether or not that money could be better spent elsewhere. OK keeper though he may be, there's not a hope in hell that Scott Bain is good enough for AFC to spend £250k on him. I'd be very surprised if this happened given our poor form with GKs over the past 10 years although for obvious reasons I'd be delighted if proved wrong.

I only suggest Samson, or any other free GK, due to simple economics. He wouldn't make us worse, because he's better than our current first choice keeper, and on the basis we finish second, only a keeper who'd command a big fee or another good loan keeper, would be good enough to push us further.

The other thing worth considering here is that our current GK coach wanted Samson at Motherwell to replace Randolph a few years back so it's perhaps not such a fanciful notion...

There is no doubt in my mind that there are better keepers out there than Samson, and hopefully we will get one of those, and most likely they will be a risk especially if they are loan GKs, but in the context of freely available in Scotland, not so much. The signing of a foreign GK brings with it so many variables with the contract position etc that you want to be sure that whoever you sign is going to be here for the duration, ie pay the big bucks, take the risk.

Jamie McDonald is still a fantastic shot stopper but much like Clangers is still very weak at coming off his line.

Killie would be in Utd's position (possibly even less points) if not for him.

Still think that Accies keeper is about the only SPFL keeper i'd be happy with us going for. Other than that I hope we pick up a nice surprise from abroad.

Edit a lot of talk of Liverpool looking for a replacement for Mingolet, if that happens (& they keep Mingolet as No.2) would be nice to get Ward back FOR WHOLE SEASON but I fear that there would a lot more clubs interested in taking him on loan now.