Callum Morris

A keeper can only organise a defense from close range. Most of Reynold's and Taylor's fckups have came from either not picking up players outside of the box, or giving the ball away. Neither of which a keeper can have any influence over. If we need a keeper so much to organise our defenders, then quite obviously we have the wrong defenders. Do you think Miller and McLeish relied on Leighton to tell them how to play? Stop spouting pish.

Ehm, did you not miss the season before the one just passed? Reynolds has been utter gash ever since Anderson picked up his career ending injury against St Johnstone. 2 seasons of a shadow of his former self. If you're trying to say he's been pish since Jan only, then you've not watched a lot of our games.

What, Utd didn't want to keep Flood? He was one of their best players at the time. His performance against us in the last game before the split was a thing of beauty. He may have fallen out of form of late, but I put that down to having issues playing with Jack, in similar roles, rather than when he played alongside Robson in his 1st season and was immense.

The keeper is allowed to shout. Should always be watching what's in front of him. If Taylor is not close enough to his man on the half way line, the keeper should be letting him know.

Uninspiring, but as others have said he is clearly there to provide depth and cover at both CB and RB (if Logan gets injured who plays RB at the moment - Captain Jack? So no bad thing having additional cover for that position).

I'll only get concerned about this signing if no other new defenders are brought in, and/or the defenders we sign are of similar quality i.e. it's not immediately clear that they've been brought in with a view to challenging the incumbents for starting places.

Looks like I'm alone in thinking this is a good signing.

No your not. I think this is a sensible signing. We need a bigger squad and he provides back up. He is a very good defender who will provide a greater physical presence. He is tall, good in the air and relatively quick. Dundee United fans only negative regarding him is that he is always injured - hence why a one year deal to prove himself is a good deal for both parties.

What, Utd didn't want to keep Flood? He was one of their best players at the time. His performance against us in the last game before the split was a thing of beauty. He may have fallen out of form of late, but I put that down to having issues playing with Jack, in similar roles, rather than when he played alongside Robson in his 1st season and was immense.

What the fuck! Can you not read?

We used to sign Dundee United rejects.

Then with Willo Flood, I thought we had stopped that, and actually got one of the players they genuinely wanted to keep, and was useful.

Now we are back to signing people who they are delighted to see the back of, as he wasn't good enough (for a tilt at Div 1).

A keeper can only organise a defense from close range. Most of Reynold's and Taylor's fckups have came from either not picking up players outside of the box, or giving the ball away. Neither of which a keeper can have any influence over. If we need a keeper so much to organise our defenders, then quite obviously we have the wrong defenders. Do you think Miller and McLeish relied on Leighton to tell them how to play? Stop spouting pish.

What a load of shite

Are keepers the only players on the pitch not allowed to shout?

Time you went back to bitching about your seat, at least thats something you actually have some knowledge about.

Idiot.

No your not. I think this is a sensible signing. We need a bigger squad and he proves back up. He is a very good defender who will provide a greater physical presence. He is tall, good in the air and relatively quick. Dundee United fans only negative regarding him is that he is always injured - hence why a one year deal to prove himself is a good deal for both parties.

And the fact that he is a complete liability. That is their words, many of them, not mine.

It doesn't bode well. Reynolds and Taylor at their best will be a fine centre back pairing but last season they were nowhere near their best.

Uninspiring, but as others have said he is clearly there to provide depth and cover at both CB and RB (if Logan gets injured who plays RB at the moment - Captain Jack? So no bad thing having additional cover for that position).

I'll only get concerned about this signing if no other new defenders are brought in, and/or the defenders we sign are of similar quality i.e. it's not immediately clear that they've been brought in with a view to challenging the incumbents for starting places.

No bad thing - he's a better RB than CM for us.

The keeper is allowed to shout. Should always be watching what's in front of him. If Taylor is not close enough to his man on the half way line, the keeper should be letting him know.

Half way line? Are you having a laugh?

What a load of shite

Are keepers the only players on the pitch not allowed to shout?

Time you went back to bitching about your seat, at least thats something you actually have some knowledge about.

Quite obviously the answer to that is no, but that wasn't the lad's point. He said we needed a good keeper to sort our players out. That works fine when there's set pieces, corners etc or the play is in and around the box, but when you're closest defender is some 30/40 yards away, in front of a noisy crowd and the play is fast a flowing, the responsibility for the actions lie with the defender. To suggest that a keeper can dictate play from the 6 yard box, when play is raging half way up the field, is ludicrous at best, a sign of a madman at worse.

Yes, keep the good old reference to my seat in the RDS going. It only died of death about 3 years ago and is being painfully kept alive by the likes of your sad self. Unfortunately, there's been oodles of seating faux pas by the club since that debacle, including the recent, let's make the RDL the family stand, oh wait, let's not, charade.

Quite obviously the answer to that is no, but that wasn't the lad's point. He said we needed a good keeper to sort our players out. That works fine when there's set pieces, corners etc or the play is in and around the box, but when you're closest defender is some 30/40 yards away, in front of a noisy crowd and the play is fast a flowing, the responsibility for the actions lie with the defender. To suggest that a keeper can dictate play from the 6 yard box, when play is raging half way up the field, is ludicrous at best, a sign of a madman at worse.

Yes, keep the good old reference to my seat in the RDS going. It only died of death about 3 years ago and is being painfully kept alive by the likes of your sad self. Unfortunately, there's been oodles of seating faux pas by the club since that debacle, including the recent, let's make the RDL the family stand, oh wait, let's not, charade.

No, I'm not having a laugh. Have you ever raised your voice before? It's not hard to hear a grown man's raised voice from 50 yards away. Noisy crowd? Have you been to Pittodrie since you lost your RDU seat?

The keeper can see everything from his goal.

Callum Morris!? WTF He's just been released by a relegated team with the worst defensive record in the league! Therefore Utd dont deem him good enough for the Championship. I dont understand, seems like a waste of a wage that shouldve went towards signing someone better than we currently have. Doesnt bode well. :-(

Utd fans are saying he's shite because they've just been relegated.

Half of our support are saying Taylor is shite because he had a complete loss of confidence at the end of the season. Taylor / Reynolds and Taylor / Considine have both been record breaking defensive pairings over the last couple of seasons.

If there's nothing better than those on the market just now then it's a sensible decision to sign a guy who can add some depth to the squad.

Chill the fuck out, you're menstruating all over the place.

• Upvote 1

Callum Morris!? WTF He's just been released by a relegated team with the worst defensive record in the league! Therefore Utd dont deem him good enough for the Championship. I dont understand, seems like a waste of a wage that shouldve went towards signing someone better than we currently have. Doesnt bode well. :-(

or too expensive. Relegated teams move on players in order to reduce the wage bill

Last season in the 2nd round Europa we lost reynolds due to injury (argueably he never really recovered from the loss of pre season the injury caused) Who would you play at right back if we lost Logan?

How many goals are scored from the halfway line?

Its the keepers job to tell the defenders whats happening behind their backs. They have a view of the whole pitch, its part of being a good keeper.

Even with all their fuck ups I'm sure they know a lot more about organising their seating than you know about goalkeepers.

The arabs at work were glad to see the back of him. If you're being singled out in the worst Dundee Utd team in living memory I think you must be pretty shite.

[Millertime] The footballing opinions of the caravan dwellers deserve none of my respect [/Millertime]

But yeah, an uninspiring signing.

Hopefully this means a marquee signing is being pegged for another position.

How many goals are scored from the halfway line?

Its the keepers job to tell the defenders whats happening behind their backs. They have a view of the whole pitch, its part of being a good keeper.

Even with all their fuck ups I'm sure they know a lot more about organising their seating than you know about goalkeepers.

See, now your just being obtuse.

Not many goals conceded from the half way line. That's not the frigging point. The point is, that we do not need a decent keeper for our 'capable' defenders to play to their 'capabilities'. A car doesn't need an V8 engine to stay on the road when it goes round corners. Just like we could have Brown, Langfield, Buffon or David Murray in goals for us, and it shouldn't stop them defending. The biggest influence a keeper will have on the defence, is crosses and when the ball is there for him either claim, or leave for defenders to clear. They aren't the reason for defenders cockups. They may be the reason for some guidance like "clear it" or "keeper's ball". But if you look at the calamitous moments from both Taylor and Reynolds last season, they were mostly lapses in concentration, bad tackles or poor judgement.

See, now your just being obtuse.

Not many goals conceded from the half way line. That's not the frigging point. The point is, that we do not need a decent keeper for our 'capable' defenders to play to their 'capabilities'. A car doesn't need an V8 engine to stay on the road when it goes round corners. Just like we could have Brown, Langfield, Buffon or David Murray in goals for us, and it shouldn't stop them defending. The biggest influence a keeper will have on the defence, is crosses and when the ball is there for him either claim, or leave for defenders to clear. They aren't the reason for defenders cockups. They may be the reason for some guidance like "clear it" or "keeper's ball". But if you look at the calamitous moments from both Taylor and Reynolds last season, they were mostly lapses in concentration, bad tackles or poor judgement.

Average defenders worried about keeper fuck up, not getting good communication from behind them and not having trust in the last line of defense - the keeper - will make a lot more mistakes than average defenders that feel they can pass back, get good communication from the man behind them, that are told who is where and trust that that person isnt going to chuck the ball into the back of their own net and will be able to deal with a pass back will look and perform a lot better.

When clangers was our keeper and the defense didnt feel they could pass back to him they were under a lot more pressure to deal with things themselves. When Ward came in and could handle a back pass the defense performed better and werent under so much pressure.

Defenders will always make bad decisions and mistakes but having a good keeper behind them and someone that assists them cuts down the amount of mistakes they make. Its simple, if you paid more attention to the pitch instead of bitching about your view for 90 minutes you might've picked that up over the last couple of decades.

Average defenders worried about keeper fuck up, not getting good communication from behind them and not having trust in the last line of defense - the keeper - will make a lot more mistakes than average defenders that feel they can pass back, get good communication from the man behind them, that are told who is where and trust that that person isnt going to chuck the ball into the back of their own net and will be able to deal with a pass back will look and perform a lot better.

When clangers was our keeper and the defense didnt feel they could pass back to him they were under a lot more pressure to deal with things themselves. When Ward came in and could handle a back pass the defense performed better and werent under so much pressure.

Defenders will always make bad decisions and mistakes but having a good keeper behind them and someone that assists them cuts down the amount of mistakes they make. Its simple, if you paid more attention to the pitch instead of bitching about your view for 90 minutes you might've picked that up over the last couple of decades.

That post is embarrassing. For you, not me. In fact, it's almost cringe worthy.

Anyways, Callum Morris Welcome to AFC. You didn't ask to be signed. Get yer heed doon and stick in.

What the fuck! Can you not read?

We used to sign Dundee United rejects.

Then with Willo Flood, I thought we had stopped that, and actually got one of the players they genuinely wanted to keep, and was useful.

Now we are back to signing people who they are delighted to see the back of, as he wasn't good enough (for a tilt at Div 1).

The Evening Express is claiming Dundee Utd are looking at bringing Willo Flood back. Derek has told them to piss off apparently

I think folk are reading far too much into this.

He's been signed on a 1 year deal, McInnes must think he can maybe see something in him and is giving him a chance to prove it, like Goodwillie.

He wont be one of our main defenders, he'll be on the bench unless he shows something.

Taylor and Reynolds are a good pairing when they have someone that can organise them in goal. We get a good keeper, it will sort our defence.

Spending less on this position means more available for the keeper we need.

Saved me posting it

I'd add that the size of the squad needed addressing- that's 3 more in than what we had before and a new keeper signed

We've filled a few of the holes already and it's only mid-June.

Long time left in the window yet- but the positives are there- McInnes has recognised the holes needing filled and is on them quick. I doubt he's used most of the budget yet.

It almost always takes more time to get the better players in as they generally have more options to play with

McGovern for example will have no intention of signing a contract or negotiating while NI are still at the Euros. If he's still a target