Callum Morris

What's to say that's not the case though? Like I said in my post, chances are that a lot of the players McInnes is keen on who would improve the starting XI are under contract and will have offers from other clubs to consider. Oh, and will probably still be on holiday too.

Signing squad players may well have been a favourite move of JC's, but we've moved beyond that. We've seen the value in focusing investment on a core group of players. But that has also been our undoing at times, the latter part of the season just past a prime example of that. The priority should not be one or the other in order to sustain a league challenge or win silverware, it needs to be both.

signing a player to improve the starting 11 means that a player is demoted to squad player. If you sign a starting player you increase the squad size. No need to sign players who are more than likely not going to start every week. I hope I am wrong but this signing doesn't fill me with confidence. MCLean and Shinnie were "inspiring" signings.................well as inspiring as we can get nowadays. They were an improvement on what we had, are these players better than what we have? Time will obviously tell but I have my doubts.

Fuck me. How many people were saying that we needed a bigger squad last season? Now we sign squad players and it's the end of the world?

I know you've witnessed Morris several times, and it was pretty clear he's shite, no? I get your point but this is a worrying piece of business.

I know you've witnessed Morris several times, and it was pretty clear he's shite, no? I get your point but this is a worrying piece of business.

Aint seen enough of him to say how good or bad he is.

The other option McInnes had would've been to keep and promote one of the released kids. If Morris is better than the 3 central defenders we released then its an improvement on the squad.

Taylor and Reynolds are a good pairing when they have someone that can organise them in goal. We get a good keeper, it will sort our defence.

Spending less on this position means more available for the keeper we need.

Not a chance. Both Taylor and Reynolds, when in form, played with both Langfield and Ward behind him, so it's got nothing at all to do with having a decent keeper. A keeper doesn't tell you where to mark players, how to match their run, when to jump for the ball, where to head it. Utter nonsense. Reynolds (and Taylor to that degree) have lost form due to either not concentrating, or not giving a toss. Inconsistency is what will hold them back.

I thought after Willo Flood, we had finally consigned to history our penchant for signing average players from Dundee United. But seems we were just taking a hiatus while Dundee United built one of their worst teams ever, before starting it up again.

I'll give him a chance like anyone else signed, but his pedigree leaves a lot to be desired. 4 years in Scottish football, 2 relegations (one div one, one premier) and 93 appearances in league, therefore averaging 23 appearances a season, mainly due to being very injury prone. I feel that he is a cheap back-up signing, which raises a bit of concern that the issues our centreback pairing had towards the end of last season will not be addressed.

Hope he proves me (and the majority it seems) wrong.

Who, Willo Flood, who was arguably Utd's best player in their side that year and marshalled their midfield? A player signed by both Celtic and 'Boro and when signed for us, bossed the midfield in his first season with Robson? Yes, an insipid player if ever there was one.

I am willing to give him a chance, end of the day its a squad game and you need a bigger squad with competent replacements to help out when needed....The biggest issue as always will be whether the manager actually has the balls to use his squad next season as opposed to using his favoured 13 players every game with the 14th token final sub for last 3 minutes being on a rotational basis.......

So sign dross to warm the bench and have zero impact when called upon (a la Cammy Ross, Nicky Low etc). We need 17 players who are 1st picks. The manager's job is then to pick the players who are in either the best form, or whom suit the tactics and formation needed for any particular game. Quality over quantity was how McInnes put it wasn't it?

Fuck me. How many people were saying that we needed a bigger squad last season? Now we sign squad players and it's the end of the world?

We have zero impact from the bench and relied too much on Hayes, McGinn and Rooney. We haven't adequately replaced Anderson either, nor Ward for that matter. You don't need a squad of 40... you just need circa 20 players that you would struggle to choose apart in terms of ability. Supplement that with U20's who can come in on the bench in the event we have a major injury crisis.

Aint seen enough of him to say how good or bad he is.

The other option McInnes had would've been to keep and promote one of the released kids. If Morris is better than the 3 central defenders we released then its an improvement on the squad.

To be honest this shows the lack of faith mcinnes has in his younger players. It reeks of signing someone for the sake of it. Reynolds and Taylor will probably welcome this, can't see them looking over their shoulders here. Irrelevant now that he's signed, good luck to the boy.

Could not be any more underwhelmed about this signing Actually shouted "for fucks sake" when the twitter update came through.

He's a Dandy now though, so has my full support. Welcome aboard min.

Same here Bobo, but agree he's joined now so will give him the backing he needs

Mcinnes spent too long sunbathing in florida, woke up with sunstroke and shouted I need cooling lotion Bob the builder thought he said I need callum so that was how the deal was made.

:hysterical:

We have 5 centre halfs that are all either pish, better at full back or unproven.

Excellent work, Del Boy.

Just checked oot his wiki page.

Nae bad like.

Morris started his career as a youth player with Premier League side Newcastle United....was released by the club in 2010, having never featured in the first team.

Following his release from Newcastle, Morris had an unsuccessful trial with Gateshead

joining Blyth Spartans on 13 August 2010....making five appearances for Blyth,

In November 2011, Morris joined Hayes & Yeading United] making three appearance for the club before being released in January 2012.

He then played for Morpeth Town

Not a chance. Both Taylor and Reynolds, when in form, played with both Langfield and Ward behind him, so it's got nothing at all to do with having a decent keeper. A keeper doesn't tell you where to mark players, how to match their run, when to jump for the ball, where to head it. Utter nonsense. Reynolds (and Taylor to that degree) have lost form due to either not concentrating, or not giving a toss. Inconsistency is what will hold them back.

Clangers wasnt shite at organising his defense, he was a bomb scare. For all his faults he could organise and stop shots. THats why we kept so may clean sheets even with him in goals.

A keeper does tell them who to pick up, whos coming in that needs picked up, where to go. Keepers have the best view of the pitch. Its part of their role, its part of what separates average from good.

A keeper that the defense trusts and that helps organise the defense will make all the difference to our back line. To claim otherwise is pure fucking ignorance.

He's a player who will only stifle the progress of the youngsters. We already have a backup to the back 4 in Considine, why not have a youngster as the 2nd choice back up, and put the money we've spent on Morris towards signing a player who will improve the first team?

I still think that with a decent keeper behind them Taylor and Reynolds are solid enough, they started the season well last season and only really went downhill after Ward left.

I'm not overly impressed with this transfer window so far to be honest

Just checked oot his wiki page.

Nae bad like.

Morris started his career as a youth player with Premier League side Newcastle United....was released by the club in 2010, having never featured in the first team.

Following his release from Newcastle, Morris had an unsuccessful trial with Gateshead

joining Blyth Spartans on 13 August 2010....making five appearances for Blyth,

In November 2011, Morris joined Hayes & Yeading United] making three appearance for the club before being released in January 2012.

He then played for Morpeth Town

Are you saying that he has an impressive CV?

Who, Willo Flood, who was arguably Utd's best player in their side that year and marshalled their midfield? A player signed by both Celtic and 'Boro and when signed for us, bossed the midfield in his first season with Robson? Yes, an insipid player if ever there was one.

I actually named Willo Flood. And to a degree, although he is ultimately quite average at playing, my point was that with him I thought we'd stopped signing folk that they didn't want to keep who were shite. Think that was clear, is to me reading it. But before that with Miller, Duff, Mair, Kerr.

Dundee United fans are struggling to see the reason behind this. I guess on the season they've had, they are probably happy to see the back of any players, but still don't really understand it. If he is a starter, then I don't think he is of a good enough standard. If he is a back-up, then I worry as the loss of form of the players he is behind at the tail end of last season suggests that they need a rocket up their arse. And if he is back-up, does this mean yet again we don't have anyone good enough coming through to step up to be a squad player at least. Given McKenna didn't look any worse than any of our other centrebacks at the end of the season, then is he not a decent enough option there?

I was obviously hoping for this already, but on the back of this, I am really hoping for a return to form of Taylor and even moreso, Reynolds.

signing a player to improve the starting 11 means that a player is demoted to squad player. If you sign a starting player you increase the squad size. No need to sign players who are more than likely not going to start every week. I hope I am wrong but this signing doesn't fill me with confidence. MCLean and Shinnie were "inspiring" signings.................well as inspiring as we can get nowadays. They were an improvement on what we had, are these players better than what we have? Time will obviously tell but I have my doubts.

But not every signing we make will be "inspiring" and of the calibre of Shinnie and McLean. We have to be realistic. I'd be shocked if we don't see at least two "inspiring" signings arrive before the beginning of the domestic season.

He's a player who will only stifle the progress of the youngsters. We already have a backup to the back 4 in Considine, why not have a youngster as the 2nd choice back up, and put the money we've spent on Morris towards signing a player who will improve the first team?

I still think that with a decent keeper behind them Taylor and Reynolds are solid enough, they started the season well last season and only really went downhill after Ward left.

I'm not overly impressed with this transfer window so far to be honest

Good job it's still to properly open then!

• Downvote 1

Calum Morris turned the SC semi final in Dundee United's favour the season before last with a superb performance.

I don't think McInnes has forgotten that.

Some of the comments on this thread are staggering. Folk who dinna ken too much about football.

Signing good players is never a bad idea.

• Upvote 1

Calum Morris turned the SC semi final in Dundee United's favour the season before last with a superb performance.

I don't think McInnes has forgotten that.

Some of the comments on this thread are staggering. Folk who dinna ken too much about football.

Signing good players is never a bad idea.

Darren Mackie had the occasional good game.

Overall he was still shite.

Clangers wasnt shite at organising his defense, he was a bomb scare. For all his faults he could organise and stop shots. THats why we kept so may clean sheets even with him in goals.

A keeper does tell them who to pick up, whos coming in that needs picked up, where to go. Keepers have the best view of the pitch. Its part of their role, its part of what separates average from good.

A keeper that the defense trusts and that helps organise the defense will make all the difference to our back line. To claim otherwise is pure fucking ignorance.

A keeper can only organise a defense from close range. Most of Reynold's and Taylor's fckups have came from either not picking up players outside of the box, or giving the ball away. Neither of which a keeper can have any influence over. If we need a keeper so much to organise our defenders, then quite obviously we have the wrong defenders. Do you think Miller and McLeish relied on Leighton to tell them how to play? Stop spouting pish.

Ehm, did you not miss the season before the one just passed? Reynolds has been utter gash ever since Anderson picked up his career ending injury against St Johnstone. 2 seasons of a shadow of his former self. If you're trying to say he's been pish since Jan only, then you've not watched a lot of our games.

I actually named Willo Flood. And to a degree, although he is ultimately quite average at playing, my point was that with him I thought we'd stopped signing folk that they didn't want to keep who were shite. Think that was clear, is to me reading it. But before that with Miller, Duff, Mair, Kerr.

What, Utd didn't want to keep Flood? He was one of their best players at the time. His performance against us in the last game before the split was a thing of beauty. He may have fallen out of form of late, but I put that down to having issues playing with Jack, in similar roles, rather than when he played alongside Robson in his 1st season and was immense.