Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

In the month of September alone, SNP info about a 2nd referendum has been:

- we were going have a referendum in March, but didnt because of Coronavirus

- we wont hold a vote soon (stated in court)

- we will hold a vote soon (announced to the public)

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18689062.indyref2-not-imminent-snp-government-tells-court/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/scotlands-sturgeon-planning-to-hold-second-referendum-on-independence/ar-BB18EOFb

Well, there's something there for everyone, eh?

And Lille are going to buy alfredo morelos.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
Guest the shepherd
1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

In the month of September alone, SNP info about a 2nd referendum has been:

- we were going have a referendum in March, but didnt because of Coronavirus

- we wont hold a vote soon (stated in court)

- we will hold a vote soon (announced to the public)

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18689062.indyref2-not-imminent-snp-government-tells-court/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/scotlands-sturgeon-planning-to-hold-second-referendum-on-independence/ar-BB18EOFb

Well, there's something there for everyone, eh?

And Lille are going to buy alfredo morelos.

??

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Fridge said:

I do find it a bit bizarre though as Nicola has hardly handled this  shambles well, suppose folk must just think Boris has handled it worse.

Nicola has done a great job during this pandemic.

Johnson cares nothing for his citizens.

In Nicola we trust.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You had a vote, stop whinging because you lost, tedious now. In boris we trust, one would hope he'd never allow a vote.

What would even happen if yes won, could we have a best of three a few years later and rejoin the union when it turns into a shambles.

They've actually put a 29 year in charge of finance, a lassie not that long out of university studying history, had a summer job in a bank, how long do you think before the money runs out.

16 minutes ago, daytripping said:

You had a vote, stop whinging because you lost, tedious now. In boris we trust, one would hope he'd never allow a vote.

What would even happen if yes won, could we have a best of three a few years later and rejoin the union when it turns into a shambles.

They've actually put a 29 year in charge of finance, a lassie not that long out of university studying history, had a summer job in a bank, how long do you think before the money runs out.

"The Scotch – what a verminous race!"; "It’s time Hadrian’s Wall was refortified, to pen them in a ghetto on the other side"; "The nation deserves not merely isolation, but comprehensive extermination".

Any Scotsman reading the above statement from Tory boy and still supports him needs help.

I rest my case.

#indyref2

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Can't mind but it was published by the prime minister of the UK. 

According to Business Insider, a satirical poem published in The Spectator when Johnson was editor described Scottish people as "a verminous race" who should be exterminated.

The poem, which has since been removed from the magazine's archive, was written by its then staffer James Michie. It described Scots as "tartan dwarves" who were "polluting our stock" and suggested that the country should be turned into a "ghetto" with the inhabitants submitted for "extermination."

Obviously Johnson didn’t write this himself, but at the time the poem was described by Maureen Fraser, director of the Commission for Racial Equality in Scotland, as "very offensive and the language is deeply inflammatory..."

Tory boy Johnson may not have said it but he certainly condoned the article.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully the fallout from the FM's impending downfall won't impact the growing momentum, but while I feel the public support will hold, we are still (legally speaking) no further forward to a referendum than we were in 2016. Of course, this could all have been clarified by now, if Krankie MacMerkel hadn't squandered three and a half years trying to "stop Brexit!" at a UK level and got on with the task of renewing the case for independence.

As a side note, I see she and the SNP happy clappers continue to ignore the 35-40% of their supporters who backed Leave, mostly for very democratic reasons (i.e. the EEA/EFTA alternatives are pragmatic, given rUK will be our biggest trading partner post-indy). Take them for granted and/or tie independence directly to EU membership, when they should be separate issues, and we'll lose again. Persist with MacWoke nonsense like the GRA and Hate Crime Bill, and we'll likely lose again. 

5 minutes ago, Lencarl said:

According to Business Insider, a satirical poem published in The Spectator when Johnson was editor described Scottish people as "a verminous race" who should be exterminated.

The poem, which has since been removed from the magazine's archive, was written by its then staffer James Michie. It described Scots as "tartan dwarves" who were "polluting our stock" and suggested that the country should be turned into a "ghetto" with the inhabitants submitted for "extermination."

Obviously Johnson didn’t write this himself, but at the time the poem was described by Maureen Fraser, director of the Commission for Racial Equality in Scotland, as "very offensive and the language is deeply inflammatory..."

Tory boy Johnson may not have said it but he certainly condoned the article.

Come away who's getting upset by that

we say things like that about Glasgow all the time.

Looking at it more generally, I accept the "material change in circumstances" mooted in the 2016 manifesto gives Scotland a democratic mandate for Indyref2, but I am not sure we can claim the moral high ground, especially when many Remainers (both YES and NO) claim faux surprise and/or outrage over Brexit. They were well warned in the run-up to 2014 that Miliband would not be PM and that Cameron, as the price to pay for being propped up by tactical UKIP voters, would concede an EU referendum... which, given the mood in England, would likely only be going one way. 

I'm sorry, but those who voted NO believing it was the only way Scotland could "Remain" simply weren't paying attention. Poll after poll showed UKIP on 17-20% and it was obvious that, in the event of a possible hung parliament and faced with a FPTP system that could only see one of two parties winning, they would always plump for the one most likely to deliver their ultimate goal and that was Cameron. They were warned.

Nicola Sturgeon: “I’d trade away approval ratings to get rid of Covid .. nothing else matters to me right now than taking the hard, necessary decisions that I need to take to get the country through this challenging period as well as I possibly can.”

What a star Nicola really is.

What a leader.

6 minutes ago, Lencarl said:

Nicola Sturgeon: “I’d trade away approval ratings to get rid of Covid .. nothing else matters to me right now than taking the hard, necessary decisions that I need to take to get the country through this challenging period as well as I possibly can.”

What a star Nicola really is.

What a leader.

Top :caught:

Independence will happen in my opinion, and i hope it leads to a step change in political parties in Scotland thereafter.  But remember the public will still moan like fuck, complain about lack of services, levels of taxes etc while politicians will still continue to either lie, evade answering a question and make promises they cannot keep and be involved with scandals etc.

While it will indeed give us our "Freedom", it will probably also leave a fair amount of folk disillusioned as fundamentally not much will change for the average person on the street.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

FFS, good point. 

Personally, I'm concerned at the increasingly authoritarian streak of the SNP leadership and their more vehement followers. While I suspect there will be an inevitable realignment of political lines after independence, party and ideological, a lot of independence supporters are very, for want of a better word, forgiving of the party's nasty side. This is no better than Unionists who are only too happy to see Scotland governed by a party that hasn't won an election here since 1955 and never will again, and/or condone the dog whistle sectarian tripe of the hard Tory right, UKIP and DUP elements. 

11 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Independence will happen in my opinion, and i hope it leads to a step change in political parties in Scotland thereafter.  But remember the public will still moan like fuck, complain about lack of services, levels of taxes etc while politicians will still continue to either lie, evade answering a question and make promises they cannot keep and be involved with scandals etc.

While it will indeed give us our "Freedom", it will probably also leave a fair amount of folk disillusioned as fundamentally not much will change for the average person on the street.

Aye it'll just mean swapping a set of posh cockney cunts for a set of weegie cunts.  The north east will still get shafted

18 minutes ago, NEM said:

Aye it'll just mean swapping a set of posh cockney cunts for a set of weegie cunts.  The north east will still get shafted

Aberdeen is a wealthier city than Glasgow,  in what way is it being shafted?   Seems to be the conservative NIMBY attitude of a lot of it's inhabitants and elected officials that holds it back,  according to a lot of folk on here anyway.