Nk Siroki Brijeg 0 - 2 Aberdeen (1 - 3 On Agg)

Took us a while to get going for sure.

Stockley was nowhere all game. Massive change when Maynard came on. Created so much space instantly. Obv got a good football brain on him.

Christie class.

And a real pleasure not to shit yourself every time a cross or weak shot goes near our keeper. Lewis is a rock.

GMS will be good once he gets sharper and more confidence. We still need more width. Nothing came down the right hand side.

Solid effort though. We tried our arses off. Glad it wasn't "one of those nights".

Two great goals.

Happy days.

Great result, makes a huge difference to our build up to the start of the domestic campaign. New players have time to bed in without negative atmosphere, more cash for any new signings, the possibility of a massive last qualifying tie, and two fingers up to the hun media who will be fizzing. COYR

How did yon cunt nae get sent off for his clothesline from hell on Logan?

I too thought it was blatant...

Think Stockley is getting a raw deal tonight. A few times was able to draw fouls/be an outball for us to hit in first half and get up the pitch. Regardless of what striker we had on the pitch for first 60 mins the game plan was clear and it would have been a frustrating evening for any of the strikers. Think McInnes timed his subs spot on and took Maynard on as the game started to open up, allowing more movement. By all means I think Stockley is limited, but he is a pain in the arse to defend against at times.

I agree the striker who started was pretty much in for a thankless task.

Up until exactly the point Stocko came off it was a dire performance and game of football in general.

How anyone can defend Stockley is beyond me. He has absolutely nothing about him which marks him out as a professional footballer. A 6ft+ spice boy. Slow, zero movement and lazy as fuck. He has nothing going for him and that surely has to be his last meaningful game. As others have posted, an affront.

Reynolds and o'Connor are widely known to be hopeless and tonight didn't do much to change that perception. Cumbersome on the ball and a pair of proven mental weaklings.

Discarding the first 60 mins altogether, then you'd have to say that all the new signings delivered.

Stewart has a bit of a habit of over elaborating but he's tricky enough despite not being the fastest. He'll surely improve.

GMS always wants to move forward, positive player, energy, and seems to be happy he's playing for us. He'll improve, for sure.

Christie is by far and away our most talented player and a pleasure to watch. Heaps of energy and craft and Celtic would be mad not to use him after the loan is up.

Don't understand the people slating Maynard who is a far, far superior footballer to any of the other strikers. Excellent movement, bending his runs, understanding how best to open up space for his teammates, he didn't need to touch the ball to be any use. Stockley didn't touch the ball for sixty odd minutes due to a combination of him being fucking horse and a lazy, disinterested waste of a jersey. Genuinely like we were playing with ten men and I cannot think of a worse football performance.

Surprised that no one has picked up on how fast Maynard is, he was closing down at breakneck speeds and it seemed to rub off on all his teammates which is little wonder given they'd just spent sixty minutes with boy wonder strolling about in front of them haplessly.

Good win in the end and hopefully the last time Stocko is given the honour of masquerading as a professional footballer for Aberdeen football club. He'd be perfect for Hibs or Hearts, tho.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Stayed up till the small hours to watch the match. Christie is immense. Wonder if Strachan will break the mould and select him for a Scotland squad if he keeps up this form for Aberdeen. I'm sure he can still class him as a Celtic player if he feels it goes against his agenda.

Up until exactly the point Stocko came off it was a dire performance and game of football in general.

How anyone can defend Stockley is beyond me. He has absolutely nothing about him which marks him out as a professional footballer. A 6ft+ spice boy. Slow, zero movement and lazy as fuck. He has nothing going for him and that surely has to be his last meaningful game. As others have posted, an affront.

Reynolds and o'Connor are widely known to be hopeless and tonight didn't do much to change that perception. Cumbersome on the ball and a pair of proven mental weaklings.

Discarding the first 60 mins altogether, then you'd have to say that all the new signings delivered.

Stewart has a bit of a habit of over elaborating but he's tricky enough despite not being the fastest. He'll surely improve.

GMS always wants to move forward, positive player, energy, and seems to be happy he's playing for us. He'll improve, for sure.

Christie is by far and away our most talented player and a pleasure to watch. Heaps of energy and craft and Celtic would be mad not to use him after the loan is up.

Don't understand the people slating Maynard who is a far, far superior footballer to any of the other strikers. Excellent movement, bending his runs, understanding how best to open up space for his teammates, he didn't need to touch the ball to be any use. Stockley didn't touch the ball for sixty odd minutes due to a combination of him being fucking horse and a lazy, disinterested waste of a jersey. Genuinely like we were playing with ten men and I cannot think of a worse football performance.

Surprised that no one has picked up on how fast Maynard is, he was closing down at breakneck speeds and it seemed to rub off on all his teammates which is little wonder given they'd just spent sixty minutes with boy wonder strolling about in front of them haplessly.

Good win in the end and hopefully the last time Stocko is given the honour of masquerading as a professional footballer for Aberdeen football club. He'd be perfect for Hibs or Hearts, tho.

So.....the jury's out on Stockley then?

:sherlock:

Extremely well written post even though you are wrong about Stockley. I agree he did not have a great game, but he gives the Dons the option of going direct which worked well enough against Celtic. It is fair to say that no Aberdeen player had a great game in the first sixty minutes, but they did not concede a goal and provided the platform for the change of tactics which were so successful in the last twenty minutes. Stockley did his job and I think he will be used in this role quite a lot this season. Fantastic result and hats off to all the players including Stockley.

• Upvote 2

Just watched the goals back and noticed instead of running to GMS, Christie ran straight to Deek after the second goal went in for a massive bosie. Not exactly sure why I love that but I do. The players really play for him it's great.

Aye yon was fucking adorable

Great result, pleased to see Christie celebrate with Deek - but regardless if he continues to play that well he'll never be a long term Don. GMS looks promising, good feet and largely direct, good to see him tracking back as well, needs to have folk believing in him. Solid team performance, good substitutions, well done - on to the next game. Not surprised despite winning 2-0 away from home in Europe in 30 degree heat in our second competitive game that some folk are complaining - welcome to the North East for anyone not aware of our support.

• Downvote 1

Yep I'm as guilty as anyone

If mcinnes plan was to bed in for 60 mins, lull them into false sense if security then turn the screw... then he is a tactical fucking genius

Seems that was his plan.

In his post match interview he stated that the plan was essentially to contain them and quieten the boisterous home crowd.

Worked, but took a bit longer than anticipated.

Well in lads, great result. Although if i'm being honest, I'd have been very disappointed not to go through, as they aren't a very good team. Dire first half by both teams followed by a much better second half from us.

Didn't agree with Stockley starting. We saw in the home leg that moving the ball on the ground and harrying their defence was what caused them problems, yet we started the game with the game plan of lumping it forward to Stockley. Wasn't at all surprised that once Maynard came on and we had a bit more movement up top, the gaps appeared and we got 2 goals.

Christie was immense. I was sceptical at first about only getting him back on loan rather than a permanent deal, but he's the reason we are through this round so it's been a good bit of business already. I can see why Celtic won't sell him.

Special mention for Lewis as well. Great save at 0-0 which could have killed the game for us.

Bring on the Cypriots!

Good coverage by Premier Sports. Michael Stewart must surely be the most unbiased commentator in Scotland. He is always 100% spot on. I think he's a closet Dandy ;)

I was really nervous both ahead and during the match for some reason.... more than any other match of late (even cup finals). That was a big big win for us. Go out and it would have cast questions on our 'end of cycle' statement and the signings made to date. But we were fitter and sharper this week and even though the 1st half was cagey, we bided our time, tired them out (which Stockley was surely on the pitch to do) and then unleashed both barrels in the 2nd half.

Very early days for us, and GMS/Stewart/Tansey/Maynard will all improve with game time and as the team get to know them/they get to know their team mates.

Big chance of making play offs.... let's not blow it!