Scotland V Peru & Mexico

The reality is McKenna is an Aberdeen player.

That, in itself, precludes him going for an inflated price. The fact he's neither at Celtic or Sevco nor playing English Football likely doesn't even factor into his evaluation.

We MIGHT get a couple of million for him.

That's rubbish Hearts sold Craig Gordon for £9m over ten years ago.

Clubs like ourselves need to stop bending over and just accepting the first half decent offer we get for our best players. Look at Andy Robertson he's probably now worth at least £35m in today's inflated English market. As someone else mentioned if an uncapped Ryan Gauld went for £3m then McKenna could easily fetch £5m. We just need to dig our heels in and if a cash rich English club want him badly enough they'll pay the money.

What is a lot of money to Aberdeen is peanuts to a lot of English teams.

That's rubbish Hearts sold Craig Gordon for £9m over ten years ago.

Clubs like ourselves need to stop bending over and just accepting the first half decent offer we get for our best players. Look at Andy Robertson he's probably now worth at least £35m in today's inflated English market. As someone else mentioned if an uncapped Ryan Gauld went for £3m then McKenna could easily fetch £5m. We just need to dig our heels in and if a cash rich English club want him badly enough they'll pay the money.

What is a lot of money to Aberdeen is peanuts to a lot of English teams.

Yeah, I stand corrected, for sure.

Looking forward to getting 10 million for him.

• Downvote 1

Yeah, I stand corrected, for sure.

Looking forward to getting 10 million for him.

You should certainly look forward to the club receiving significantly more than the couple of million max you seem to think he is worth. Hull apparently offered £1m in January well before he was capped or captained his country in front of 70,000 away fans.

It may just have been Hull that were interested in January but you can bet that list of interested clubs has now risen significantly.

You should certainly look forward to the club receiving significantly more than the couple of million max you seem to think he is worth. Hull apparently offered £1m in January well before he was capped or captained his country in front of 70,000 away fans.

It may just have been Hull that were interested in January but you can bet that list of interested clubs has now risen significantly.

I definitely am looking forward to it.

I'm now convinced that if a couple of clubs declare an interest then we could EASILY get 5 million, more than double the club record, and if the club decides to play hardball then we're probably looking at 10 million quid the club can put towards the new stadium, that will definitely be started this month, and completed for moving in 19/20 season.

Now that he's captained Scotland in a meaningless friendly in a team full of fringe players, most of whom won't be picked again going forward, his value has likely increased to levels beyond my wildest dreams.

• Downvote 2

I'm now convinced that if a couple of clubs declare an interest then we could EASILY get 5 million, more than double the club record, and if the club decides to play hardball then we're probably looking at 10 million quid the club can put towards the new stadium, that will definitely be started this month, and completed for moving in 19/20 season.

Now that he's captained Scotland in a meaningless friendly in a team full of fringe players, most of whom won't be picked again going forward, his value has likely increased to levels beyond my wildest dreams.

The club record fee has absolutely nothing to do with what McKenna might eventually be sold for. Aberdeen up until the last few years were ran very poorly and in millions of pounds of debt so the first half decent offers for the likes of Fraser and Fyvie were gratefully accepted. Not the case now as the club demonstrated in January.

You have already been given examples of non old firm players playing in the SPFL that have transferred for more than a couple of million max at a time when the market was less crazy than it is now so it is possible especially now that he is on a long contract. Another is Hibs getting £4.4m for a young and relatively unproven Scott Brown when they sold him over a decade ago.

Meaningless friendly or not scouts watching McKenna will have noticed how composed and unfazed he was for a 21 year old charged with the responsibility of captaining his country in front of 70k fans.

I seriously hope the club don't take your attitude if they are offered £1.5m plus by saying "we better accept it as we're only little old Aberdeen". When it was the Craig Brown and Mark McGhee era's I'd agree with you that no way would we turn down that type of offer. But I have a lot more faith that the current board and management team would hold out for a lot more now that we are a debt free club.

If a club like Hearts can hold out for 9 mil for a GK then we can do similar for a CH with serious potential & that already has the build & power to compete in his position

Say what we like about the playing legend that was McLeish since he left us but the hat's doffed to the fkr for helping to raise one of our serious assets profile & potential price tag.

If a former defender like McLeish sees enough in him to give him so much game time whilst only giving other newbies bit parts for Scotland, then that should be enough for some to take serious notice.

Some fans are still happier to talk down our player values but that is just their choice, whilst others are happier to talk them up. The more we talk them up. the more pressure we put on our club not to bend over & take lesser offers.

Couple of bigger clubs show an interest (& start a wee bidding war) & that's all it takes to bump up a players price tag. Whether that tag is justified or not is pretty irrelevant. Especially in todays market.

The club record fee has absolutely nothing to do with what McKenna might eventually be sold for. Aberdeen up until the last few years were ran very poorly and in millions of pounds of debt so the first half decent offers for the likes of Fraser and Fyvie were gratefully accepted. Not the case now as the club demonstrated in January.

You have already been given examples of non old firm players playing in the SPFL that have transferred for more than a couple of million max at a time when the market was less crazy than it is now so it is possible especially now that he is on a long contract. Another is Hibs getting £4.4m for a young and relatively unproven Scott Brown when they sold him over a decade ago.

Meaningless friendly or not scouts watching McKenna will have noticed how composed and unfazed he was for a 21 year old charged with the responsibility of captaining his country in front of 70k fans.

I seriously hope the club don't take your attitude if they are offered £1.5m plus by saying "we better accept it as we're only little old Aberdeen". When it was the Craig Brown and Mark McGhee era's I'd agree with you that no way would we turn down that type of offer. But I have a lot more faith that the current board and management team would hold out for a lot more now that we are a debt free club.

Exactly!!!!

Hearts had a club record fee prior to selling Gordon.

It's a stupid argument & means fk all.

Putting aside the sarcasm, snide and condescension for a second, are you actually saying that you don't think competition and market values have any influence on the price.

1 The club record fee has absolutely nothing to do with what McKenna might eventually be sold for. Aberdeen up until the last few years were ran very poorly and in millions of pounds of debt so the first half decent offers for the likes of Fraser and Fyvie were gratefully accepted. Not the case now as the club demonstrated in January.

2 You have already been given examples of non old firm players playing in the SPFL that have transferred for more than a couple of million max at a time when the market was less crazy than it is now so it is possible especially now that he is on a long contract. Another is Hibs getting £4.4m for a young and relatively unproven Scott Brown when they sold him over a decade ago.

3 Meaningless friendly or not scouts watching McKenna will have noticed how composed and unfazed he was for a 21 year old charged with the responsibility of captaining his country in front of 70k fans.

1 To address the Jess, thing. He was a full international, the club was largely debt free, he was considered one of the most significant talents in the country, there were at least a couple of clubs looking to sign him, and he went for maybe 2 million. To say there is no parallel with the Jess situation is odd to say the least. If anything, Jess was a more valuable asset than McKenna, when you consider he broke into a team featuring Scottish and Dutch Internationalists in a team that was VERY capable of winning the league title.

2 Now THIS I do consider irrelevant. I know what OTHER clubs have managed to get for their players.

3 He played quite well, yes. In friendly games against teams who weren't exactly busting a gut to beat us. They didn't have to. If his performances in those games were the catalyst, or even particularly a salient reason, for my scout saying "Spend 10 million on this guy, he was quite good in a couple of low key friendlies" I'd sack that scout on the spot.

4 The club has a stadium to fund/build. They promised it would start construction THIS month. we're at 27 days left of June and counting. The club needs money like yesterday... how much is currently in the kitty?

Now, I'm not trying to be a dick here... I appreciate that people are excited about McKenna... I am too. I think he's a fantastic prospect. He also reminds me of my Action Man from when I was a kid, but that's neither here nor there. But the reality with Aberdeen has been an inability to translate the potential of a prospect into anything more than the bare minimum transfer fee. OTHER clubs, yes, have been able to get a buzz around their players when looking to sell them, that's not something we've ever been able to exploit to our advantage.

Why would this be different?

The reasons I've seen so far "we could EASILY get 5 million if more than one club is interested." Well, more than one club was interested in Jess, in England and Italy... where money for players seem to grow on trees. I doubt anyone who saw Jess play would say that Jess went for anything like an inflated price.

I base my OPINION of the situation on more that "McKenna's magic and check what other clubs get for their players and the English can afford to pay 10 million easy"

That's an emotional reaction, not one based on club history or the current situation.

I could well be wrong, I hope I am because 10 million would be fucking brilliant.

I'm not going to criticize those who think 10 million is realistic, because we're all allowed an opinion. I just very much disagree with that opinion based on everything that has gone before.

Putting aside the sarcasm, snide and condescension for a second, are you actually saying that you don't think competition and market values have any influence on the price.

No, I'm not.

Edit: Can I point out that snide isn't a noun, it's an adjective. You can't set that aside, given it's not a real thing or object.

So, yes on the sarcasm and condescension, but unfortunately no on the snide.

• Downvote 1

1 To address the Jess, thing. He was a full international, the club was largely debt free, he was considered one of the most significant talents in the country, there were at least a couple of clubs looking to sign him, and he went for maybe 2 million. To say there is no parallel with the Jess situation is odd to say the least. If anything, Jess was a more valuable asset than McKenna, when you consider he broke into a team featuring Scottish and Dutch Internationalists in a team that was VERY capable of winning the league title.

2 Now THIS I do consider irrelevant. I know what OTHER clubs have managed to get for their players.

3 He played quite well, yes. In friendly games against teams who weren't exactly busting a gut to beat us. They didn't have to. If his performances in those games were the catalyst, or even particularly a salient reason, for my scout saying "Spend 10 million on this guy, he was quite good in a couple of low key friendlies" I'd sack that scout on the spot.

4 The club has a stadium to fund/build. They promised it would start construction THIS month. we're at 27 days left of June and counting. The club needs money like yesterday... how much is currently in the kitty?

Now, I'm not trying to be a dick here... I appreciate that people are excited about McKenna... I am too. I think he's a fantastic prospect. He also reminds me of my Action Man from when I was a kid, but that's neither here nor there. But the reality with Aberdeen has been an inability to translate the potential of a prospect into anything more than the bare minimum transfer fee. OTHER clubs, yes, have been able to get a buzz around their players when looking to sell them, that's not something we've ever been able to exploit to our advantage.

Why would this be different?

The reasons I've seen so far "we could EASILY get 5 million if more than one club is interested." Well, more than one club was interested in Jess, in England and Italy... where money for players seem to grow on trees. I doubt anyone who saw Jess play would say that Jess went for anything like an inflated price.

I base my OPINION of the situation on more that "McKenna's magic and check what other clubs get for their players and the English can afford to pay 10 million easy"

That's an emotional reaction, not one based on club history or the current situation.

I could well be wrong, I hope I am because 10 million would be fucking brilliant.

I'm not going to criticize those who think 10 million is realistic, because we're all allowed an opinion. I just very much disagree with that opinion based on everything that has gone before.

You seem to be going to a lot off effort to desperately talk down one of our players values.

You are entitled to your opinion on it (as are we all) but your main argument "What has gone before" is basically irrelevant in todays market because we haven't had a player of any decent potential value to sell for so long

Times have changed big time since we last sold a player like this & that was under such a long contract.

Basically what i'm saying is stop living in the past lol

• Upvote 2

No.

Your signature sums you up then...

You mention Jess and his eventual value in a previous post.

He was 25 when he left.

There was no potential in him just what he was.

His fee of 2m was also 23.5% of the British transfer record at the time.

(Since that's a transfer between British clubs I'll remove coutinho)

And go with the British to British van dijk (also a cb hmmmm) fee of 75m and say I'd happily accept 17.63m for McKenna.

As you were.

Your signature sums you up then...

You mention Jess and his eventual value in a previous post.

1 He was 25 when he left. There was no potential in him just what he was.

2 His fee of 2m was also 23.5% of the British transfer record at the time.

+Since that's a transfer between British clubs I'll remove coutinho)

3 And go with the British to British van dijk (also a cab hmmmm) fee of 75m and say I'd happily accept 17.63m for McKenna.

As you were.

1 I said talents, not prospects. So you're arguing a point I never made.

2 So, less than a quarter of the record, which would be pretty much a standard price for guys like less talented than Jess in the top flight down south. And again, for no more than he was worth at the very least.

3 So we're up to nearly 18 million.

As you were.

• Downvote 2

Listen , if McKenna has another great season with us , continues to rack up the Scotland caps as Captain and why not and man of the match awards . Then fuck your 10 million . Signed until 2023 , 40 million please mister Man city

Straight swap for their stadium. They pay transportation costs & we cover the painting costs ourselves

21 year old full international. Clearly earmarked to be part of the international team moving forwards. Under contract for 5 years and a first pick for his club side. 2018 transfer market rates. If it's a premiership team then 8-10M isn't unrealistic under those circumstances. Even the smaller English premiership clubs think nothing of spending 8 figures on players these days under the new TV deals.

If it was a decent sized English Championship club then 4-5M plus add ons would be realistic.

The caveat though is that transfer values for a player can fluctuate pretty quickly. A bad run of form would see that valuation slashed pretty quickly at which point Celtic would try and pick him up for 1.2 million plus Christie or Hendry on loan or Rangers would try and get him for 500k with zero up front paid in instalments over the next 5 summers.

I can see where Kelt is coming from (apart from the stuff about not being a 'full' international!)... we've not been great in the past, in terms of negotiating transfers.

However, McKenna is 21 y/o, contracted until 2023... and doesn't seem like the sort of lad who's going to be demanding a transfer, when the clubs come calling. It's impossible for even Aberdeen to fuck this one up...

Bear in mind the prices that the Edinburgh clubs got for Craig Gordon and Scott Brown... GBP 5M, which is nothing for an English club, should be the starting price. I honestly believe Ron Petrie would be capable of getting a few million on top of that...

I didn't say prospects, but potential, it's as if you don't think teams factor that into their decision making when buying and assessing valuation in a fee.(Resale value in addition)

Don't forget that the EPL is a league where, 8 figure fees are paid, offered and turned down for CBs in their 30s (maybe since you are in the backwoods of MI you are unaware of this.) Who unlike a 21 year old are only going to depreciate as both a player and an asset.

2 So, less than a quarter of the record, which would be pretty much a standard price for guys like less talented than Jess in the top flight down south. And again, for no more than he was worth at the very least.

i) Jess was a flop in his Coventry tenure in England, ii) Cantona cost less than Jess, Ginola was 2.5m, Stefan Schwartz was 2m etc.

I'm not really sure the point you are making here, are you saying that we should have got more for Jess or that getting 23.5% of a British transfer fee would be bad business for us?

Yeah cos that was I said we'd get

As you were.

I didn't say prospects, but potential, it's as if you don't think teams factor that into their decision making when buying and assessing valuation in a fee.(Resale value in addition)

Don't forget that the EPL is a league where, 8 figure fees are paid, offered and turned down for CBs in their 30s (maybe since you are in the backwoods of MI you are unaware of this.) Who unlike a 21 year old are only going to depreciate as both a player and an asset.

i) Jess was a flop in his Coventry tenure in England, ii) Cantona cost less than Jess, Ginola was 2.5m, Stefan Schwartz was 2m etc.

I'm not really sure the point you are making here, are you saying that we should have got more for Jess or that getting 23.5% of a British transfer fee would be bad business for us?

Yeah cos that was I said we'd get

As you were.

1 I said talent, not potential.

2. So there are anomalies in the transfer market. Quelle surprise.

3. That was a citation.

...don't forget to -1 me :laughing:

• Downvote 4

Kelt is right.

I don't know what planet those are on that think the board would hold out for 10M.

It simply won't get offered, it doesn't need to be. Of course the English market is mental. But they will still do their homework and put in a bid that will cover what's required and no more, knowing that we have to consider it.

We will take buttons for him. I have absolutely no doubt. Or faith, in Stewie