Scotland V Peru & Mexico

I think you might be right however if he can continue to run all over McGinn next season (if he is still there) like he normally does then there might be a chance of him playing more games for Scotland.

Personally I think that like Shinnie, McGinn is probably good off the bench or as backup. He's not a starter in my mind. Definitely squad regular though.

Armstrong, McGregor, McGeoch, McLean all ahead of McGinn for me. Probably McTominay too.

Pleased for Shinnie, friendly or not. Just reward for extending his season after not being taken on in the friendly at Pittodrie. There are plenty of players who would have sulked after that.

I think there's a place in the squad for Shinnie, but he'll definitely be on the fringes, both in midfield but especially for left back. Robertson is our best player by a country mile and Tierney gets in ahead of him too. Barry Douglas might also be ahead of him there.

Getting into the midfield will also be tough but there's more places in there to fill and probably more chances to get on as a sub. I think the centre midfield will be built around McGinn, McTominay and Armstrong backed up by the likes of McGregor and McLean.

Great to see McKenna get another 90 minutes. He's definitely being prepared to be a regular at centre back.

Generally speaking it's good to see a new generation taking shape and to see Scottish based players being selected. The acid test of whether he is serious about that philosophy will be when he picks his first competitive squad.

Watched it.

So... Atmosphere was great and will be a good experience for the players.

4 at the back this time - not sure if that's to stay or not

Shinnie is more mobile than McGeoch but McGeoch better suited to the holding role really.

Sorry to say I see no point whatsoever in capping Stevenson at 30. This is something I've moaned about before - a lot of players need 10-15 caps under their belt before they really perform at international level absolute zero point starting that process with a 30 year old.

Archer really was crap and shouldn't be back anytime soon.

Otherwise we were solid enough against a decent team if a bit stuffy and not really in possession much.

If we are playing a defensive 4-5-1 we need to work out how hr fuck to get the ball up the park and make it stick, no idea how this would work with Griffiths who is our best striker by a mile. Maybe a 4-4-1-1 type of thing with Griffiths in behind so someone.

Oh and Peru looked good but not anything like 11th in the world imo.

Does Jordan archer not get 10-15 games to really start performing at international level?!

Players need 10 to 16 caps before they perform

Where was that plucked from?

Utter tosh

Steve Tosh

Aye it's nae necessarily true but what we don't do in Scotland is give young players caps soon enough.

Look at Northern Ireland. They have players on 50-100 caps and are experienced in international football. We have the likes of Stuart Armstrong who is 25 and only has 6 caps. I do realise this is because N.I have a smaller pool to pick from but it clearly benefits them.

• Upvote 1

Did he nae win the Scottish Cup at RB?

Again though. I think Callum Paterson is the better of the two.

I think you and I had this convo before.

From what I recall (i was at the game with Falkirk mates) he started at RB, wasn't particularly involved (by his standards at the tome) and was then moved into midfield I think - at which point he had much more impact.

So if anything, seems like evidence he's a bit wasted at RB.

I think it'll be another 6-11 starts

McKenna walked straight into it and was great. He's something of an exception though and many players do have a settling in period when stepping up a level.

Why do you think so much was made of Peru having 500 caps between the starting line up and our team only having 50ish? Is it because all our players can just play international football quality football on their debut or is it because experience is important at international level?

My problem with Scotland is we wait too long to give players a chance and too often start handing caps out to players when they are 28/29 - instead of trying them out/bedding them in when they are 24/25.

A 28/29 will likely only feature for 1 or 2 campaigns at most.

Get the right players in earlier, help them develop international players and then you might have someone who can be part of 3 or 4 campaigns instead. That's how you get a team with 500+ caps on the park.

McKenna walked straight into it and was great. He's something of an exception though and many players do have a settling in period when stepping up a level.

Why do you think so much was made of Peru having 500 caps between the starting line up and our team only having 50ish? Is it because all our players can just play international football quality football on their debut or is it because experience is important at international level?

My problem with Scotland is we wait too long to give players a chance and too often start handing caps out to players when they are 28/29 - instead of trying them out/bedding them in when they are 24/25.

Get the right players in earlier, help them develop international players and then you might have someone who can be part of 3 or 4 campaigns instead. That's how you get a team with 500+ caps on the park.

Go back and read what you said again. I was pulling you up for your contradictions. Players need 10-15 games to settle. archer shouldn't be back in again. Which is it?

Go back and read what you said again. I was pulling you up for your contradictions. Players need 10-15 games to settle. archer shouldn't be back in again. Which is it?

"Pulling me up" - like some kind of blog police? Cool.

I don't need to read what I wrote, it's not really that complicated.

The answer is: both. (Life's not black and white like a chat forum)

I'd have given Archer the benefit of the doubt but having watched it his performance was so bad I don't think we can afford to have him back in too soon. Maybe in time.

This is basically what Wales did about 8-10 year ago by playing a load of young players and getting them experience. Granted they got pumped quite a bit if I mind correctly but come the last Euros it benefited them didn't it. Not having a Scottish Gareth Bale might make it harder though...

This is basically what Wales did about 8-10 year ago by playing a load of young players and getting them experience. Granted they got pumped quite a bit if I mind correctly but come the last Euros it benefited them didn't it. Not having a Scottish Gareth Bale might make it harder though...

Exactly.

It's not black and white for every player clearly but we should plan to give potential some exposure to inter action football a bit quicker.

Too often our national managers are safety first, short term.

Wales also used friendly matches intelligently to improve their ranking which helped improve their chances of qualifying.

Playing against beatable teams with high rankings or high ranking confederations, and treating the games as competitive must win games, helped their ranking considerably.