The Mckenna Dilemma

Simple math, if the pro deal pays well and is long term it defintely is better. But a 4 year ride to select schools does have value here in the states. I've see Euro kids pass up pro basketball deals to play college basketball.

But that sidetracks from what Trusty did in the USL and now MLS at just 20 years old. And if his deal really is up this winter that's even better for a team like Aberdeen who could benefit today and profit tomorrow.

Pro players pass up a European contract to spend a few months in a Basketball factory college programme, to then get an NBA contract, is entirely different.

I'll be honest I can't really think of any off the top of my head...

The best young US 'soccer' players, are eschewing College for the paid ranks of Europe in far greater numbers than the circumstance you put forth. 

If Aberdeen truly wants Americans to buy the stream, merch, and the stock I advise signing an American prospect. And if they are looking for talent on a budget they should be watching teenagers on lower level clubs in Latin America. Surely there is some 17/18 year old killing it in the segunda or tercera division in Mexico. Or colombia, ecuador, paraguay etc

If Aberdeen truly wants Americans to buy the stream, merch, and the stock I advise signing an American prospect. And if they are looking for talent on a budget they should be watching teenagers on lower level clubs in Latin America. Surely there is some 17/18 year old killing it in the segunda or tercera division in Mexico. Or colombia, ecuador, paraguay etc

It's not as simple as that. There's work permits to consider for a start. Also good prospects would need a sizeable salary to jump ship and move to Scotland and would be coveted by bigger clubs if they were that talented. On top of that there are uncertainties whether they would settle etc etc

Seems other clubs in Scotland even with smaller budgets have done it. Trusty as an example is making maybe 100k usd tops a season. Aberdeen could be a launch point for his career. Even if it is for a championship side or some other place in Europe. Sporting KC just lost a young center back to man city. He's out on loan.

Yes but the point it we just don't do that.

Hence why I say pie in the sky.

Not because we shouldn't, because it's pure fantasy to think we suddenly will.

Seems other clubs in Scotland even with smaller budgets have done it. Trusty as an example is making maybe 100k usd tops a season. Aberdeen could be a launch point for his career. Even if it is for a championship side or some other place in Europe. Sporting KC just lost a young center back to man city. He's out on loan.

If he's on 100k usd now and he's a known prospect he'd want a pay rise to move. Let's say even 150k pa. That's 3k per week minimum which is immediately a significant salary for Aberdeen. Even then there's no guarantee of getting a work permit.

Comparing Aberdeen to Manchester City is also stretching things a bit.

I agree with your general point though. Aberdeen need to spread the scouting network a bit further than loaning left backs from clubs where McInnes' mate is assistant manager but I think a more realistic market for a number of reasons would be Northern Europe and Scandinavia

If he's on 100k usd now and he's a known prospect he'd want a pay rise to move. Let's say even 150k pa. That's 3k per week minimum which is immediately a significant salary for Aberdeen. Even then there's no guarantee of getting a work permit.

I agree with your general point though. Aberdeen need to spread the scouting network a bit further than loaning left backs from clubs where McInnes' mate is assistant manager but I think a more realistic market for a number of reasons would be Northern Europe and Scandinavia

Why would Northern Europe and Scandanavia be more realistic?

The amount of absolute codswallop that gets spoken about scouting and which markets we should be in is incredible

I'm not sure the Erik Palmer Brown Man City free transfer from Sporting KC is playing out that well. He did well on loan from KC at Porto B. Maybe he should have went back. But now he's buried at Man City out on loan and not playing much. Same with Arzani. If he'd come to Aberdeen he'd be starting in mid field.

Aberdeen has a good reputation and minutes to give these young prospects. I think they could make a lot of money flipping... i mean developing them.

I'm not sure the Erik Palmer Brown Man City free transfer from Sporting KC is playing out that well. He did well on loan from KC at Porto B. Maybe he should have went back. But now he's buried at Man City out on loan and not playing much. Same with Arzani. If he'd come to Aberdeen he'd be starting in mid field.

Aberdeen has a good reputation and minutes to give these young prospects. I think they could make a lot of money flipping... i mean developing them.

How much are these guys Brown and Arzani getting paid do you think?

Why would Northern Europe and Scandanavia be more realistic?

The amount of absolute codswallop that gets spoken about scouting and which markets we should be in is incredible

Because they're closer and therefore easier and cheaper to scout properly. And when I say property I mean at first hand

There are no work permit restrictions

There is a deeper talent pool of professional footballers to scout in these countries

I think there's less risk involved overall but that's just my opinion

Because they're closer and therefore easier and cheaper to scout properly. And when I say property I mean at first hand

There is a deeper talent pool of professional footballers to scout in these countries

65k usd at sporting kc is what he was making. Im not aware what he signed for.

Because they're closer and therefore easier and cheaper to (for everyone) scout properly (and with greater resource than us) And when I say property I mean at first hand

Genuine question, do you have any idea how much scouting costs?

Genuine question, do you have any idea how much scouting costs?

Paying the wage of a scout and sending them all over latin america definitely has a cost. But not as much as you might think. Especially if it is a scout from that area. Once in latin america travel isnt that expensive. In colombia flying is dirt cheap in country. My hotel in DF runs about $50 usd a night and when in Bogota I spend $60. Those are the fun countries. A lot of the places you'd scout would be poor. A great prospect on some 2nd div club in ecuador might make $500 usd a month... maybe.

We did have an American centre half and nae idea why I remember this but he was called John Milne. Massive but awfa slow I recall.

That's the boy, good memory min. I think there was a big write up about him in the Green Final if I remember rightly

Not a big deal, but I think UNC is ranked 3rd nationwide right now. Pros go through there is all. If nothing else some merch would be sold and more would buy a redtv membership. The league made a mistake with the bleacher report deal. The league needs to sell a league pass type membership with more dollars going to top of table finishers. The app should be available for direct download at google play and itunes. Probably also xbox and playstation plus the online streaming services like the new Youtube TV which is replacing cable TV. Sling TV would be great too.

Pondy could be onto something. A massive shake up in the Scottish game as we tap the Americas and take on the league structure of American Sports, make a competitive league with wealth distribution and fairness.........if only we had the balls to do it, best just to stick to pandering to the two Glasgow clubs, that's all that matters

Paying the wage of a scout and sending them all over latin america definitely has a cost. But not as much as you might think. Especially if it is a scout from that area. Once in latin america travel isnt that expensive. In colombia flying is dirt cheap in country. My hotel in DF runs about $50 usd a night and when in Bogota I spend $60. Those are the fun countries. A lot of the places you'd scout would be poor. A great prospect on some 2nd div club in ecuador might make $500 usd a month... maybe.

A second division Ecuadorian youth! Zero chance of getting a work permit, so every penny or cent spent is wasted. I take it this is some elaborate hoax you're doing to pass the time at work.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

:laughing:  FFS!

:fishing:  Shirley?