Lewis Ferguson

4 minutes ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

It's great to see a Scottish player move to a top league and do so well. Lewis was a very decent player for us but unfortunately the family connections meant that he was often targeted by a section of our support when things weren't going so well.

Disgusting behaviour by our 'fans', and an embarrassment.

Don’t remember ever hearing him get abuse at a game. Just on here really. Nobody was going to be chuffed at him going to Seville though 

1 minute ago, Dons79 said:

Yep, cannot do that, he should have known, silly silly boy, cut his dons career short.

There is absolutely no chance he regrets that whatsoever. If I played for a rival team and the dons got to a European final - I am straight there. 

Fuck probably even for a Scottish cup final. Huns and hunco have been to more European finals than we have Scottish cup finals the last 20 years 🤮

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Helmet said:

I look forward to you saying we sold Ramadani too low in a few years time.

That will never happen I think Steven Gunn did a very good job getting what we did for him. 

18 hours ago, Helmet said:

Thurso insisted Ramadani was dog shit.

I don’t want to get into another endless argument about this mythical saviour but he was and I’ll stand by that as no one has ever given me any evidence to prove he wasn’t but I give you exhibit A 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001tyt3/sportscene-sportscene-revisited-darvel-v-aberdeen

watch the postie skin him for the goal. That happened all to often last season. 

• Haha 1
On 9/20/2022 at 10:58 AM, Betty Swallicks said:

Doubt it! I think about 20% of the population are Scottish or Northern Irish born plus loads of 2nd and 3rd generation weegies.

Fuck that!

Nuke the cunts!

Edit: The link with Scotland is a strong feature of the area: according to the 2001 Census, there were 10,063 Scottish-born in the Corby Urban Area – 18.9% of the population. A further 1.3 per cent were born in Northern Ireland. It has been estimated that a further third of the population are Scottish or of Scottish descent.

The Scottish heritage is cherished by many inhabitants. There are Scottish social and sporting clubs and there are many fervent supporters of the Rangers and Celtic football clubs (indeed, Corby was home to the largest Rangers Supporters' Club outside Glasgow and Northern Ireland.

As I said.... nuke it!

I know pal, I was one of that 18.9%, I moved away later that year.  Naturally it’s a much smaller number now, the auld yins are dying off, but the “Scottish as Morris Dancing” comment was more to do with how different they are in character and attitude these days. I’d characterise the town as West of Scotland in the 1980s, not the Scotland of today. 

I lived in Corby from birth until I was 31My dad moved there as a teenager, and my brother and sister were born thereThe only reason I have the privilege of being Scottish born, I strongly suspect despite his denials, is that Dad insisted, because back then you could only play football for the country of your birth. The rules changed in 1970, when I was a baby. 

As a measure of how Scottish the place used to be, at school we didn’t have to waste time picking sides at playtime, it was just Scotland v England, but it only took a couple of English kids to be off school, and they didn’t have enough for a sideAt Corby Town FC (one below the Conference, level 6, in those days), during the half-time break the tannoy announcer would start the half-time scores with the SPL, very few people were bothered about the old English First Division. 

You mention the biggest “Rangers” Supporters Club outside Scotland and Northern Ireland.  They had a huge venue and quite a nice function suite until, wait for it...…..it went bust!  Not long after the actual football club, as it happens.   

It’s far from only Weegies thoughThere were a substantial number of North-East families who migrated, and the Grampian Club, formerly Aberdeen and North-East Counties Association, is still the biggest social club in townWord to the wise, though, don’t bother going in if you happen to visit the town, I would only ever go in there if I was guest at a party or functionUnless you like Billy Brits that is, and standing for a rendition of Good Save the King at last orders, then you’ll fit right in. 

Once I was old enough to go to football by myself and got a car, I rarely had a problem filling it with other Dons fans for an away game in the Central Belt, doing what we called an “up and downer”.  Plenty of folk with North-East ancestry in the town, then and still now.   

I have issues with the place and no longer call it my hometown, but I would respectfully disagree with idea of nuking it!

p.s.  I am embarrassed by the tardiness of this reply!

• Upvote 4

Believe it or not it is in the right thread!  I'm over a year late responding mind, and it was the arrival of the new poster from Corby which prompted me to fire off a long overdue reply to Betty Swallicks.  The post from him I've quoted here was a response by him to an earlier comment by myself, in which I had said that Corby is perhaps somewhat less Scottish than in the days when it was known as "Little Scotland".  Although I didn't quite put it as diplomatically as that at the time (around about page 44 or 45, if you can be bothered).

10 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I know pal, I was one of that 18.9%, I moved away later that year.  Naturally it’s a much smaller number now, the auld yins are dying off, but the “Scottish as Morris Dancing” comment was more to do with how different they are in character and attitude these days. I’d characterise the town as West of Scotland in the 1980s, not the Scotland of today. 

I lived in Corby from birth until I was 31My dad moved there as a teenager, and my brother and sister were born thereThe only reason I have the privilege of being Scottish born, I strongly suspect despite his denials, is that Dad insisted, because back then you could only play football for the country of your birth. The rules changed in 1970, when I was a baby. 

As a measure of how Scottish the place used to be, at school we didn’t have to waste time picking sides at playtime, it was just Scotland v England, but it only took a couple of English kids to be off school, and they didn’t have enough for a sideAt Corby Town FC (one below the Conference, level 6, in those days), during the half-time break the tannoy announcer would start the half-time scores with the SPL, very few people were bothered about the old English First Division. 

You mention the biggest “Rangers” Supporters Club outside Scotland and Northern Ireland.  They had a huge venue and quite a nice function suite until, wait for it...…..it went bust!  Not long after the actual football club, as it happens.   

It’s far from only Weegies thoughThere were a substantial number of North-East families who migrated, and the Grampian Club, formerly Aberdeen and North-East Counties Association, is still the biggest social club in townWord to the wise, though, don’t bother going in if you happen to visit the town, I would only ever go in there if I was guest at a party or functionUnless you like Billy Brits that is, and standing for a rendition of Good Save the King at last orders, then you’ll fit right in. 

Once I was old enough to go to football by myself and got a car, I rarely had a problem filling it with other Dons fans for an away game in the Central Belt, doing what we called an “up and downer”.  Plenty of folk with North-East ancestry in the town, then and still now.   

I have issues with the place and no longer call it my hometown, but I would respectfully disagree with idea of nuking it!

p.s.  I am embarrassed by the tardiness of this reply!

I went to Corby once.

Bird i went out with for 7 years was from there.

Was nae a good idea, as was in my slightly feel stage and ended up scrapping wi every cunt in the pub, including her dad who she did not like.

While watching a Dons game on Sky Sports. At Hearts, I think.

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 2
On 1/2/2024 at 9:25 AM, muttonhumper said:

I went to Corby once.

Bird i went out with for 7 years was from there.

Was nae a good idea, as was in my slightly feel stage and ended up scrapping wi every cunt in the pub, including her dad who she did not like.

While watching a Dons game on Sky Sports. At Hearts, I think.

Had the shame of living in Corby as a kid briefly and have some family there. Can comfortably say it has to be the biggest shitehole in the UK by a distance, with anyone over the age of 16 mostly into drugs or already breeding further to scrimp on the social.

Even worse, the "little Scotland" element from the 70s and 80s (weegies moving down there for the steelworks) means it has a manky old firm presence. It even has a "Rangers club" pub and a whole lot of guffies walking about in Celtic and Rangers tops, from having Weegie parents.

All in all, avoid like the plague.

• Haha 1