Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

34 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Findlay marshall training with the first team instead of the youth team?

No sign of Ngwenya training with first team? Maybe lined up for a transfer or loan to a full time side?

Think Marshall will end up back with 18s when it comes to seasons he’s definitely not ready for first team. Ngwenya miles off it 

13 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Can’t blame him, but it’s a pisser for all Scottish clubs when they invest in youth development & players leave at 16 for relatively small fees.

There’s been a load of examples in the last year or two, including the Glasgow 2

You actually wonder, what is the point of a youth policy? I mean, we could just do a Leeds and pick up Lewis Fergusons etc etc at age 16 and not  bother developing our own?
You could counter that by saying Calvin Ramsay etc but in terms of staff wages, Cormack Park etc, how much does it cost to run our youth academy per year?

What reason is there for ANY 16 yr to remain at their club?

1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

You actually wonder, what is the point of a youth policy? I mean, we could just do a Leeds and pick up Lewis Fergusons etc etc at age 16. What reason is there for ANY 16 yr to remain at their club?

It's swings and roundabouts though.  We lose some (Pirie) but gain some (Ferguson). 

There's also Calvin Ramsay and Scott McKenna to consider. 

If every club disbanded their youth policy how would young players develop? 

6 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

You actually wonder, what is the point of a youth policy? I mean, we could just do a Leeds and pick up Lewis Fergusons etc etc at age 16. What reason is there for ANY 16 yr to remain at their club?

Aberdeen were quick to bin him off as a teenager which in turn allowed him to sign for Dundee. We then did to Dundee what Leeds are doing to us. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Can’t blame him, but it’s a pisser for all Scottish clubs when they invest in youth development & players leave at 16 for relatively small fees.

There’s been a load of examples in the last year or two, including the Glasgow 2

I think Hamilton just sold 3 of their u16s/u18s to Leeds, Brighton and Norwich.  It’s how the club survive I would imagine.  

10 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Could argue that it shows we are doing somethings right, granted we'd ideally want to get a few seasons out of the players before they are pinched.  Also didn't we release Pirie then pinch him back off of Dundee? 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Aye, when he wasn’t good enough. Probably shouldn’t have rejoined if he wasn’t over it. Fucking Leeds though. Pounds I suppose.

Much better chance of developing at Leeds I would say.  For me our pathway seems to be a little blocked at the minute with a few players totally mismanaged. 

If we look at Bavidge, yeah he got on the bench a lot and got a few minutes here and there but probably not enough to bring on his development, if you're a similar age and see that it's probably worth going elsewhere.

1 minute ago, minijc said:

Much better chance of developing at Leeds I would say.  For me our pathway seems to be a little blocked at the minute with a few players totally mismanaged. 

If we look at Bavidge, yeah he got on the bench a lot and got a few minutes here and there but probably not enough to bring on his development, if you're a similar age and see that it's probably worth going elsewhere.

How many 16 year olds do you think should be starting in our first team on a regular basis, minijc? 

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

How many 16 year olds do you think should be starting in our first team on a regular basis, minijc? 

It's not about starting, it's about getting valuable minutes, having the likes of Myslovic and Markanday on the bench when our own lads could have got that experience and some minutes here and there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
2 minutes ago, minijc said:

Yeah, 16 year old kids are still developing no matter how good they think they are. We’ve a proven track record with ‘pathways’. Be a different story on here if folk didn’t know his family. 
Leeds though. They’re basically Stoke with a nicer town.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, NEM said:

Bavidge certainly should have gotten alot of Marley Watkins minutes last season 

Maybe, aye. 

It was a tough situation though. Folk were describing just about every game as a must win for about 6 months.  If Robson had played a few 16 year olds and it backfired and we'd missed out on 3rd to Hearts by a couple of points folk would have been wanting him hanged. 

Robson still gave more game time to Bavidge and Duncan than his predecessor did even though Robson inherited a situation where every point was a prisoner.  

It's not about starting, it's about getting valuable minutes, having the likes of Myslovic and Markanday on the bench when our own lads could have got that experience and some minutes here and there.

Bringing in shite loans to warm the bench is a bug bear of mine too. 

See reply to NEM above 

18 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Yeah, 16 year old kids are still developing no matter how good they think they are. We’ve a proven track record with ‘pathways’. Be a different story on here if folk didn’t know his family. 
Leeds though. They’re basically Stoke with a nicer town.

I don't think the pathway is as proven as some say it is, the youth player turnover is very high with quite a few players that were highly thought of not progressing then getting released.

Also don't think Leeds are a yoyo club but hey ho. 

It’s a shame. I watched him a lot as I’ve mentioned, also recall him at Dundee. Personally I can’t believe we didn’t sign him before Dundee but going there helped him develop further so it’s not held him back. His pace and power is something else but he’s really pushed on technically. He’s the best 2007 born striker I’ve seen for finishing. 

The stuff about money is nonsense too. Celtic wanted him and paid up his compensation fee but he refused to go there when he would have made a fortune. This is absolutely about where he thinks he can develop as a footballer.

Bit like when we picked off Ferguson from Hamilton, it’s shit when it’s your club. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't think the pathway is as proven as some say it is, the youth player turnover is very high with quite a few players that were highly thought of not progressing then getting released.

1/100 is about industry for youths who make it to pro first team football. Players not progressing need to look at themselves instead of blaming the clubs. Remember it’s about results at first team level, the rest is fluff and compliance bullcrap.

4 minutes ago, minijc said:

Also don't think Leeds are a yoyo club but hey ho. 

Probably fair enough.

Theyre on a downward trajectory after a two season purple patch fighting relegation in the top division. They’re a nothing club.