Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

9 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Who are the 7/11 who will be too old next season? Any idea which ones will be kept on and which released?

I'd hoped to see more from Marshall today but I wonder if sending him on loan to Edinburgh City was a bad choice.  Playing in a team losing every week can't have been good for his confidence.

I really hope Bavidge can step up.  His record at Kelty is decent and he looked one of the best players on the pitch today and looked like he wanted to win, whereas some looked happy to be there.

I wonder if the best thing for Marshall's and Bavidge's development would be to send them out on loan to Championship teams for the first half of next season.

guesswork but Kai Watson will be released imo. Brendan Hamilton got another year although thought he was poor tonight. Marshall in contract. Cammy Wilson been offered a new contract. Alfie Bavidge in contract. Alfie Stewart the other in contract. Akindilent miles off it imo. 

I dunno what’s going to happen. You see it with Dylan lobban went out on loan to Forfar barely played. What’s he going to do next season? 

the club has high hopes for Carroll and Boyd. Think everyone else is just in the way in their eyes bar Bavidge. 

• Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Did many impress you and make you think they shouldn't be culled?

I'm no expert in youth football and all its nuances so I'm not going to attempt a critique of all the various players and whether or not their performance was good for this level.

I also don't know their ages and where they are/should be in their professional development by this stage and whether their individual performance was good or bad in relation to what is expected of them on a night like tonight.

From your comments above you don't seem too impressed by Bavidge, but I think he was definitely one of the best players on the pitch but was denied by a goalkeeper who put in a (in my opinion) MOTM performance.  

In general I thought our forward line was pretty decent and would have scored more goals if they'd had a keeper of the expected standard.

4 minutes ago, RUL said:

guesswork but Kai Watson will be released imo. Brendan Hamilton got another year although thought he was poor tonight. Marshall in contract. Cammy Wilson been offered a new contract. Alfie Bavidge in contract. Alfie Stewart the other in contract. Akindilent miles off it imo. 

I dunno what’s going to happen. You see it with Dylan lobban went out on loan to Forfar barely played. What’s he going to do next season? 

the club has high hopes for Carroll and Boyd. Think everyone else is just in the way in their eyes bar Bavidge. 

Carroll was excellent tonight and Boyd showed his talent in glimpses. He’s only 15 though. Boyd is excellent technically and at his age group, which I’ve seen him play a couple of games, he’s the standout. Thought the lad in the middle of the park, who took the corners, was decent tonight too. Certainly has potential. 

Bavidge needs some 1st team game time, which I hope he get this season, assuming we beat the fairmers on Saturday. At some point we need to put out cock in the lock and assess if he’s genuinely good enough. Fingers crossed for him. 

2 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

Carroll was excellent tonight and Boyd showed his talent in glimpses. He’s only 15 though. Boyd is excellent technically and at his age group, which I’ve seen him play a couple of games, he’s the standout. Thought the lad in the middle of the park, who took the corners, was decent tonight too. Certainly has potential. 

Bavidge needs some 1st team game time, which I hope he get this season, assuming we beat the fairmers on Saturday. At some point we need to put out cock in the lock and assess if he’s genuinely good enough. Fingers crossed for him. 

I don't think he's allowed to play for the 1st team until next season 

11 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

I'm no expert in youth football and all its nuances so I'm not going to attempt a critique of all the various players and whether or not their performance was good for this level.

I also don't know their ages and where they are/should be in their professional development by this stage and whether their individual performance was good or bad in relation to what is expected of them on a night like tonight.

From your comments above you don't seem too impressed by Bavidge, but I think he was definitely one of the best players on the pitch but was denied by a goalkeeper who put in a (in my opinion) MOTM performance.  

In general I thought our forward line was pretty decent and would have scored more goals if they'd had a keeper of the expected standard.

He should have given their keeper no chance with either of those chances 

It wasn't good enough 

4 minutes ago, Millertime said:

He should have given their keeper no chance with either of those chances 

It wasn't good enough 

I felt his opportunities weren't that clear cut.  He had to dig them out from under his feet but still got a shot on target.  

22 players started the game and for the majority tonight will be the pinnacle of their career.  They'll be telling their mates down the pub in 20 years time that they "coulda been a contender".

I think your expectations for young players at this level are too high.  The majority won't succeed but I think Bavidge has a chance.

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Exactly, it's a final

It's the pinnacle of players of that age groups season

Bavidge had 2 superb chances and fluffed them both - it's a fact

The fact you're defending him would be startling if it wasn't for the defence of Bojan Misski the last few months - you're consistent at least

I’d say playing first team football for Kelty would be a better judge of the player. 

I’m not defending him, the two times I’ve seen him this season I’ve been totally unimpressed.

Unlike you however, I don’t write him off. Also unlike you, I don’t say things on here for constant attention. 

35 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

I felt his opportunities weren't that clear cut.  He had to dig them out from under his feet but still got a shot on target.  

22 players started the game and for the majority tonight will be the pinnacle of their career.  They'll be telling their mates down the pub in 20 years time that they "coulda been a contender".

I think your expectations for young players at this level are too high.  The majority won't succeed but I think Bavidge has a chance.

Of course they weren’t that clear cut. The first especially.

This is the same idiot who said Miovski should have scored despite the keeper standing less than a yard infront of him. 

Any Aberdeen fan watches that an is encouraged by the two newly turned 16 year olds who look special. Not MT though, desperate to slate the player who is most known for reactions.

Tedious shite and needs to be called out regularly.

We've still got the league to go for. It's a two horse race between us and Killie.

We've got either 3 or 4 games left (Nae actually sure what the total number of games is as there is a weird top 6/bottom 5 split) and currently sit 2 points behind Killie with a game in hand.

The club website lists 3 games to be played, all at home to Queens Park and Celtic twice.

8 hours ago, elephantstone78 said:

Correct. 
Looked like we scored direct from a corner too. 
Novel experience watching rangers play and not hearing all the mutants singing gstq and rule Britannia etc. 

Although the SFA kindly played simply the best at full time so the wee Huns could feel like they were at their beloved Ibrox 

7 hours ago, DelMonte said:

I’d say playing first team football for Kelty would be a better judge of the player. 

I’m not defending him, the two times I’ve seen him this season I’ve been totally unimpressed.

Unlike you however, I don’t write him off. Also unlike you, I don’t say things on here for constant attention. 

How am I writing him off!?

I'm just saying he was really poor

Quite common at that age.  When they’ve been a level above and probably scoring for fun by simply putting the laces through it that wee bit of composure and guile takes a minute.  Liam Harvey was the same (haven’t seen him recently tbf).

I thought we lacked width (sounds familiar).  Crosses were typically deep from the full backs.  Hun CBs dealt very well with them but, typical throughout Scottish football you felt we kept playing to those strengths and hoping.

Does Peter Weir not have any grandkids?

9 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Haha firstly, well played 

Secondly was it actually?

Foster was convinced it was in too

Nope he wanted a red card which personally I thought would have been harsh.  That’s how they’re taught to block these days.

Put it this way.  I thought the greased up assassins tackle on their left winger was a lot worse.  Outstanding effort.

4 hours ago, Medw1311 said:

We've still got the league to go for. It's a two horse race between us and Killie.

We've got either 3 or 4 games left (Nae actually sure what the total number of games is as there is a weird top 6/bottom 5 split) and currently sit 2 points behind Killie with a game in hand.

The club website lists 3 games to be played, all at home to Queens Park and Celtic twice.

I think we’ve played 26 so should have 4 games although the coach said in his interview “3 or 4 whatever it is”.

seems mad but Celtic are poor at u18s so we have a great chance.

8 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

This is a great post. If you look at previous Aberdeen teams it tends to be 2/3 players who come through. Some to limited success. I’d say with our current recruitment strategy that’ll be even harder. Will also find players we do bring through are sold relatively quickly. But for majority that’s as good as it’ll get.

8 minutes ago, RUL said:

This is a great post. If you look at previous Aberdeen teams it tends to be 2/3 players who come through. Some to limited success. I’d say with our current recruitment strategy that’ll be even harder. Will also find players we do bring through are sold relatively quickly. But for majority that’s as good as it’ll get.

I’ve no evidence for this, but anecdotally it feels that’s the same for most clubs at our level though?

Every now & again, we’ll produce & sell a Ramsay, McKenna for millions. 

31 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Timi Akindileni

Unlucky with the OG. Solid enough though. Big loon. Boxy stock @daytripping

Marshall and Hamilton imo are ready for first team. Head and shoulders above the likes of Morris and Richardson. 

17 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

Unlucky with the OG. Solid enough though. Big loon. Boxy stock @daytripping

Marshall and Hamilton imo are ready for first team. Head and shoulders above the likes of Morris and Richardson. 

Yep thought Marshall, Hamilton, Boyd and Bavidge did well, as did one or two others.

Would be content to allow them to develop in first team squad next season. 

If we beat St Johnstone this Saturday even give them a run out in the final 3 games.

A wee bit more experience plus, hopefully, the associated confidence will do them and the team going forwards no harm at all.

11 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’ve only seen the youths once so it’s hard to say who’s “got it” & who hasn’t.

The keeper looks decent, if not a bit rash. Better distribution than Roos already. 

Carroll in defence. Calm & reads the game well. 

Stewart has great set piece delivery, but a bit slow? 

Boyd looks a clever & skilful player & (I think?) only 16. 

Bavidge is a possible too obviously, but he’s not ready for a regular game in the first team yet IMO.

Massive jump for these boys but hopefully two or three make it in the next year or two. 

I would suggest that it's imperative that we utilise the loan system wisely in the development of a few of these guys. 

9 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

You are communicating with one of the biggest attention seeking trolls on here. I have him on block and by quoting him you're reminding me if how much incoherent, illogical, attention seeking pish he spouts. 

Please make it stop.