Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

47 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Yep thought Marshall, Hamilton, Boyd and Bavidge did well, as did one or two others.

Would be content to allow them to develop in first team squad next season. 

If we beat St Johnstone this Saturday even give them a run out in the final 3 games.

A wee bit more experience plus, hopefully, the associated confidence will do them and the team going forwards no harm at all.

Hamilton and Marshall may be ready to be part of the squad but they are knowhere near the first 11 imo. I thought Carroll and Boyd were the picks for their age they stood out as they took boys on. I think since Boyd and Carroll have committed we may see them on bench in last game for first team. 

I only seen second half and was pretty disappointed in Hamilton. Zero point in having them in squad and doing a Duncan and wasting an entire season. They have to be playing. My gut feeling is that Bavidge should be loaned out too as I assume we will spend a big amount (in our terms) on a bojan replacement, even if he dosnt hit the ground running due to investment he will be given a lot of minutes. Even if it was a 6 month loan to a champ side then revaluate. I don’t see any of above benefiting from being part of first team next season as I don’t see them playing enough. Bavidge getting 5 mins at end of a game is complete waste of time. 

4 minutes ago, slippers said:

Hamilton and Marshall may be ready to be part of the squad but they are knowhere near the first 11 imo. I only seen second half and was pretty disappointed in Hamilton. I thought Carroll and Boyd were the picks for their age they stood out as they took boys on. I think since Boyd and Carroll have committed we may see them on bench in last game for first team. 

Yeah I thought Hamilton looked miles off it last night. He’s been decent before though. 

6 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

If it was the clip I saw on Twitter then it was of the stonewall variety IMO. I'd be looking for it at the other end for sure.

It wouldn’t be given at the other end though would it!

4 hours ago, RAZOR said:

Unlucky with the OG. Solid enough though. Big loon. Boxy stock @daytripping

Marshall and Hamilton imo are ready for first team. Head and shoulders above the likes of Morris and Richardson. 

See him in Lidl now and again after his training, likes his food. Good to see he shops in a proper place, unlike Roos.

4 hours ago, slippers said:

Hamilton and Marshall may be ready to be part of the squad but they are knowhere near the first 11 imo. I thought Carroll and Boyd were the picks for their age they stood out as they took boys on. I think since Boyd and Carroll have committed we may see them on bench in last game for first team. 

I only seen second half and was pretty disappointed in Hamilton. Zero point in having them in squad and doing a Duncan and wasting an entire season. They have to be playing. My gut feeling is that Bavidge should be loaned out too as I assume we will spend a big amount (in our terms) on a bojan replacement, even if he dosnt hit the ground running due to investment he will be given a lot of minutes. Even if it was a 6 month loan to a champ side then revaluate. I don’t see any of above benefiting from being part of first team next season as I don’t see them playing enough. Bavidge getting 5 mins at end of a game is complete waste of time. 

Agree Bavidge needs to keep playing.  Next season I'd look at a championship club loan.

Completely agree that restricting our youths to brief cameos, is a complete waste of time.  Young lads need to play football to develop.

24 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Agree Bavidge needs to keep playing.  Next season I'd look at a championship club loan.

Completely agree that restricting our youths to brief cameos, is a complete waste of time.  Young lads need to play football to develop.

Agree.

We’ve just wasted a year of Milne and Duncan’s career. 

5 hours ago, RAZOR said:

Unlucky with the OG. Solid enough though. Big loon. Boxy stock @daytripping

Marshall and Hamilton imo are ready for first team. Head and shoulders above the likes of Morris and Richardson. 

Regarding Akindelini, you get the impression (cos he said it himself in his RedTV interview) that he got taken into the AFC Youth Academy 12 months ago cos he’s a tall and left sided central defender, which is rare.

• Upvote 1

I liked the look of Carrol and Boyd - looked the most comfortable on the ball in our team and probably two of the youngest on the pitch. Can't see them getting near the first team for another couple of seasons though as both too lightweight at the moment.

Bavidge looked decent but you'd expect him to, given that he's had a season of mens football under his belt now. Loan him out at a higher level for the first half of next season then bring him back in for the second half to boost our squad. I also thought Hamilton looked confident and decent on the ball - seems to have good technique about him although not everything came off for him last night. He might be in with more of a shout of involvement in the first team squad simply based on the position he plays, although I guess Mackenzie has nailed down LB at the moment, and we do still have Jensen and McGarry sitting around.

5 hours ago, Broken_Glass said:

I would suggest that it's imperative that we utilise the loan system wisely in the development of a few of these guys. 

Or enter the reserve league.....

• Upvote 3
Just now, elephantstone78 said:

Was there a reason why we didn’t do this ?

Surely not a matter of cash, given the amount we have splurged on utter dross the past couple of years. 

Not sure tbh - club maybe felt the loan system was a better route to go down?!

2 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

Which is wrong of course. Especially if you have no control over how often and in what position they play.

You can stipulate that at the beginning of the loan and every 3 months issue a reminder to the loaning manager if they aren't adhering to it 

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, RUL said:

I think we’ve played 26 so should have 4 games although the coach said in his interview “3 or 4 whatever it is”.

seems mad but Celtic are poor at u18s so we have a great chance.

Is there a table published somewhere? Had a Google but couldn't find it.

3 hours ago, daytripping said:

See him in Lidl now and again after his training, likes his food. Good to see he shops in a proper place, unlike Roos.

Saw Roos takin his wee daughter into Asda Dundee a few days ago. He was in for ages! She must of been for a shit!! 

5 minutes ago, pocrawred said:

Saw Roos takin his wee daughter into Asda Dundee a few days ago. He was in for ages! She must of been for a shit!! 

Another reason he should never play for the club ever again

4 hours ago, NEM said:

Or enter the reserve league.....

This. 

The upside of being in the reserve league far outweighs the downside. 

Better for our squad players to keep match fit. 

We can play our younger players alongside our fringe players and still have them available to play for us at the weekend if required.  

We can have them playing in the same style as the first team week in week out. 

You can keep one or two late developers for a bit longer rather than being under pressure to move them out once they reach 21.

Nothing to stop you loaning a few of the younger lads out if they get the right opportunity. 

Probably costs less per year than buying a Richardson or a McGarry. 

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Medw1311 said:

We've still got the league to go for. It's a two horse race between us and Killie.

We've got either 3 or 4 games left (Nae actually sure what the total number of games is as there is a weird top 6/bottom 5 split) and currently sit 2 points behind Killie with a game in hand.

The club website lists 3 games to be played, all at home to Queens Park and Celtic twice.

4 games left. 3 as listed by Medw above plus Rangers away.

Next game is one of home fixtures at 12 noon on Saturday and then have Rangers away next Friday

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

Anyone know who Killie play in their remaining U18 games?

The AFC website is terrible for keeping up to date with the U18 league. 

Celtic are bottom of the top 6 split set up and Queens Park second in bottom split. They play QP at Cormack at 12 on Saturday.

Rangers version only one I could find available and only know they play Rangers (they're 3rd) next Friday 10th through one of the lads Dads.

That would leave two games v Celtic

Can't see who Killie have to play yet but still looking

https://rfcyouths.wordpress.com/under-18-league-2023-24/

19 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

Anyone know who Killie play in their remaining U18 games?

The AFC website is terrible for keeping up to date with the U18 league. 

Not only that, but a few years back, REDTV would show highlights of the matches.

Can’t be difficult to at least film home matches at Cormack Park, surely?