Scotland V Albania And Israel

I dunno if it's because we are looking for something but it was odd be asked about results to someone else...something isn't right. His formation comments were weird

Well, I thought it was all just football forum nonsense till last weekend when my old man told me he'd heard the rumour. He doesn't go near forums or social media and I haven't seen anything like that in the mainstream press. He knows a few guys who would know if it was true. I didn't dig any further.

I've got to be honest, i think it's a big improvement. We're getting real competitive games in place of friendlies. Plus, conventional qualifying being condensed gives us a better chance if we can hit form at the right time. Very often we've played well in half a campaign and fucked up the other half, this allows us the chance to get on a run and for it to really benefit us.

I like it too.

Interest in national team had waned to the point of actively not being arsed watching.

Cue a few dandies being involved, a curiosity about this Nations League and a team with an apparent flair and youthful exuberance...

Hey presto, I'm in the pub last night with some ex-pats actively YAAASSS-ing when the goals went in.

Fair turnaround.

Scotland would be against Finland, Serbia/Romania and Norway as it stands.

°°°°°°°°°°

Finns are flying , Serbia/Romania would hump us . Winning this group only gets us a play off place against 3 other teams and not qualification for a major finals. Conventional Euro qualifying will be hard because of our seeding . Only positive thing is UEFA really want us there because of our colourful support and doing everything to help us , even inventing new tournaments . Still we will not qualify as far as I can see. Not with Eck in charge , change needed.

If those teams are too good for us to beat, then surely they will qualify for Euros by traditional route.

Leaving Scotland to shuffle through the back door.

Why is McGregor 6 yards off his line? That goal hit the back of the net in the bottom corner.

Ken.

Horrific positioning by the hun prick.

Not sure about Phillips on for Armstrong really.

This is definitely a  :banghead:  :wtf:  :angry11: to temper the upbeat feeling from last night.

The boy is a fucking horrendous player.

Again, came on, and made a complete cunt of everything he touched.

Ball comes near him he's like, "ooh, fit's that thing".

Frustrating.

Despite this, it was a very enjoyable game to watch, with some cracking goals.

Great to see each and every Don and ex-Don contributing hugely to the victory.

This is pasted from the BBC:

If Scotland do not finish in the top two of their qualifying group, there is now a safety net.

Scotland have now secured a one-legged Nations League play-off semi-final against Finland at Hampden in March 2020, with the winners potentially facing either Norway or Serbia in the final.

A ballot or toss of a coin before the League C semis are played will decide who's at home for the final.

:laughing:  Wot a pile o shite international fitba is. 

• Upvote 1

Great to finally have something positive to discuss with our National team and pleasing that some of our own contributed to the success. Nice to see Big Eck prove the doubters wrong albeit we’re still a long way off being a good side yet. His post-match interviews have been a bit garbled which is a bit concerning given the rumours.

Hopefully we won’t need the safety net of the play-offs but it’s a winnable tie given Finland only won 1 of their 3 away ties in qualifying (v Estonia) so I fancy us to make the finals but Serbia are a tough side and Norway are a bit like ourselves having been out of sorts for a while but on the way up again. In a one off game at a neutral venue anything’s possible but we need to build on this in the Euro’s.  We want a favourable draw and what we did achieve was a place in pot 3 that might prove hugely beneficial to our chances.

Didn’t realise the nations league playoff games aren’t until 2020. Bit strange having such a gap between the league games then the playoff games.

I think this is a decent enough little format / tournament. Much better than the ridiculous friendlies in Mexico and Peru anyway, and now that we’ve been promoted we’ll be up against some more exciting teams than Albania and Israel who are both pretty shite if we’re being honest.

Didn’t realise the nations league playoff games aren’t until 2020. Bit strange having such a gap between the league games then the playoff games.

I think this is a decent enough little format / tournament. Much better than the ridiculous friendlies in Mexico and Peru anyway, and now that we’ve been promoted we’ll be up against some more exciting teams than Albania and Israel who are both pretty shite if we’re being honest.

Would make qualifying fairly null and void if you had already got in for a few teams.

It's a fall back as opposed to a primary method. A mulligan as it were. 

Whats the score here

What do we need to do to not need this Norway/Serbia game?

I've only heard the Euro 2020 qualifying process through the press and radio so I'm not claiming that this is correct.

We now go into the qualifiers, I believe that the top 2 teams qualify from 10 groups (no hosts in this tournament) and 4 teams qualify through the Nations League play offs.

If we qualify through the groups, I think that Israel will take our place in the Nations League play offs.

Also, if you look at group A teams in the Nations League, there's a fair chance that the majority of top teams will have qualified through the groups and the Nations League  play offs places will drop down. So in Hollands Nations League group, although Germany finished bottom, if Holland and France qualify through the groups and Germany struggle, they'll take the play off place.

I said earlier and FnD mentioned it, it is a parachute tournament that will help the likes of Holland and Italy qualify if they screw up the qualifiers.