Music

eeps

4 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

What definition are you putting on genius?

He certainly was one of very many genius artists from the UK. 

The man had a terrific voice-he wasn’t Mozart, or Stevie Wonder, or Prince.

Elton John can apparently play anything on the piano (but sucks on the organ) after hearing it once-he’s a genius on the piano.

Who are your very many British musical geniuses? 

5 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I think you need to start by looking at the definition of genius. Only then can there be any fruitful dialogue. Too many wrongfully think that genius applies only to the uber-exceptional e.g. Mozart or Prince. 

So what’s your definition of genius, if not as you put it “uber-exceptional”?

1 minute ago, rocket_scientist said:

There is no "my definition" nor "your definition". It is a word. It has a meaning. Any dictionary can enlighten us as to its meaning. Then we would have no option but agree that George Michael was a genius, one of hundreds in the UK music scene over history. 

I don’t want to get into some back and forth with you like you usually get into, so we’ll agree to disagree that George Michael was a genius.

He was a terrific artist with a terrific voice indeed.

Who else do you consider a UK music scene genius?

21 hours ago, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

Flung on Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction this fine evening to see how it sounded in the future.

Funnily enough ive been listening to that recently and I agree it still stands up - its timeless.  They were a great band.

I also hated that 80s "nancy boy rocker" look that came out of LA.  Motley Crue were another good band who were severe offenders at that.

Look at Angus Young, 66 now and his enduring stage appearance has been the same the whole time, it has lasted the distance and is set apart from his own age.  But lets see G&R try to look so slim and pretty now ?

12 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

?

How can we agree or disagree if you haven't bothered to understand what the word actually means?

And here we go....

I’m well aware what the word means.I’m also well aware, and as quite a few people say these days, it’s a word that’s often wrongly used, usually in the context of a recently deceased famous person who had been very good at something.

We disagree on your assertion that George Michael was a genius.He wasn’t.He had a terrific voice, but so does Tom Jones etc etc etc, and he isn’t a musical genius either.

I would really like to hear about the other British artists you consider to be geniuses though, however, as I’ve observed in your inane ramblings with other posters, you’ll bullheaded continue rambling to try and ram your point home without addressing anything anyone asks you.

Like the other British artists that are geniuses for example.

Someone has unearthed a few live gems this week on YouTube. I've seen Pete 80+ times, more than half of that was with Babyshambles. Here was the best line up - Pat Walden playing that wild scruffy punk riffs, some oasis fans may recognise the bass player from LGs band now.

This was the best days of that band, only worked seeing them live. Didn't translate to the studio (mick Jones recognised that for the first album and just hit record at the sessions). Just needed a small venue, everyone fucked up and have a right carry on. Around 4.50 it starts.

There's a few Libertines videos appeared from 2003 aswell in great quality. 

I can see theres chat about British geniuses. I'm not Pete is one of them. But you can't deny for a couple of years he could write a song and put on a show. Can't now.

On 1/20/2021 at 2:33 AM, rocket_scientist said:

I put money in Sylian's pocket back in the day. Bought a couple of albums - Tin Drum was one -  but haven't heard a full album for years. Will re-explore to see how the test of time treated them. 6 Music played a track a couple of months ago. Me like.

Brilliant album, Karn is one of my top 10 bassists of all time. I had Tin Drum and Gentlemen Take Polaroids...well I still have somewhere in the back of a cupboard. Was really too young to appreciate their earlier stuff. 

Karn's death was at a tragically young age. He sent up a fundraiser mid 2010 to try to help pay for a miracle cure for his cancer, I bunged in £20 but he never found it. Died about 6 months later

On 2/8/2021 at 3:37 AM, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Funnily enough ive been listening to that recently and I agree it still stands up - its timeless.  They were a great band.

I also hated that 80s "nancy boy rocker" look that came out of LA.  Motley Crue were another good band who were severe offenders at that.

Look at Angus Young, 66 now and his enduring stage appearance has been the same the whole time, it has lasted the distance and is set apart from his own age.  But lets see G&R try to look so slim and pretty now ?

88-A75533-C22-D-44-BF-954-D-5-AE4945-AEC

You’d ride that into next week @Clydeside_Sheep

7 hours ago, Bad_Mobby said:

A highlight of a great album.

I see Ry Cooder was mentioned by R_S (rip). Was told yesterday that a little known Scottish outfit called Texas were named after his song Paris, Texas and they nicked the song for IDWAL. 

I was angry for about an hour that I didn't know that already. Must have missed that class