Dismal Deadline Day (January 2019)

Interesting.

I know McInnes likes to keep deals quiet, but if they are agreed it would be nice to let the fans know.

Any idea why they would be keeping it quiet until the end of the season?

Probably because they're shite.

Nah. My guess that one of them is Shaughnessy. Would explain the wish (from one side or other) to keep that quiet.

I've no problem with the business we did. My main issue is the business we didn't do. Would have been nice to show a wee bit of ambition and add one or two quality players to try and push on.

I'm not convinced any of the deals we've done is enough to take us from 4th in the league to anything above that. Add in the likelihood of having to beat at least one of Celtic/Huns to win the Cup then it looks like another trophyless season and scrambling around to build a team for the euro qualifiers as 6+ members of the team are gone at the end of this season. 

• Upvote 1

Possibly to avoid a situation like Jordan Jones playing out in the media?  I know McInnes doesn't really enjoy airing his dirty laundry in public...

I was hoping we'd be in for Jason Kerr personally... think we've signed the wrong Saints centre half.

I know we are interested in Joe Shaughnessy on a pre-contract but don't think he has committed yet?

Not counting the young lad mcGregor even McInnes is trying to paint it like FIVE out & TWO in.

That is bs. It's either FIVE out ONE in, or SIX out TWO in regarding Lowe. Ye canny try & bs it any other way. We lost a player in January & got him back. We didn't KEEP said player & also get in his doppelgänger on top of that.

Always think it looks weird when you have a player posing with their new team's shirt and/or scarf when they still playing for another team for the next 4/5 months.

Would still expect announcements to be made. It's essentially impossible to keep a secret. Everyone at the old club and the new club would know, no one does that not leak.

A very active transfer window doesn't mean the club is improving, nor does a barren one mean the club is stagnating.  There are clubs that use the transfer window simply to appease fans and sate their appetite for new developments (I'd put sevco in this basket and hearts in this category).

Anyway, Transfer windows condense the market into a short timespace and creates an urgency (or panic) that was never their before.  The huge turnover in playing staff that is common across clubs these days was never as severe in the past.

I've pulled togther a list of transfers from seasons past.  Early years, it was slow evolution.

Got my info from https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/aberdeen-fc/2019/6/ . I almost lost a day there.

78/79:

IN:  (1) M.McGhee

OUT: (2) I.Fleming, J.Smith

79/80:

IN:  (1) D.Bell

OUT: (3) D.Sullivan, N.Cooper (Neil, not Neale), C.McLelland

80/81:

IN:  (2) W.McCall, M.DeClerck

OUT: (2) D.Davidson, S.Archibald

81/82:

IN:  (1) P.Weir

OUT: (4) D.Considine, M.DeClerck, W.Garner, I.Scanlon

82/83:

IN:  (0)

OUT: (3) B.Clark, A.Dornan, D.Jarvie

83/84:

IN:  (2) S.McKimmie, B.Stark

OUT: (2) W.McCall, A.Watson

84/85:

IN:  (3) B.Grant, F.MgDougall, T.McQueen

OUT: (3) M.McGhee, D.Rougvie, G.Strachan

85/86:

IN:  (2) J.Bett, B.Irvine

OUT: (2) D.Bell, S.Cowan

86/87:

IN:  (3) D.Dodds, B.Connor, N.Hammond (a goalie???)

OUT: (8) J.McMaster, T.McQueen, B.Mitchell, I.Angus, E.Black, N.Cooper, B.Gunn, T.McIntyre

87/88:

IN:  (5) C.Nicholas, P.Nicholas, G.Hackett, K.Edwards, T.Jones

OUT: (4) G.Hackett, P.Weir, J.Miller, B.Stark

88/89:

IN:  (5) A.Gibsom, C.Robertson, W.VanderArk, P.Mason, T.Snelders

OUT: (6) I.Porteous, T.Jones, K.Edwards, W.Falconer, J.Leighton, P.Nicholas

89/90:

IN:  (3) B.Mimms, H.Gillhaus, I.Cameron

OUT: (3) D.Dodds, J.Hewitt, P.Wright

90/91:

IN:  (3) A.Dibble, N,Cooper, P.VandeVen

OUT: (6) A.Dibble, L.Gardner, S.Gray, B.Mimms, C.Nicholas, N.Simpson

""

""

13/14:

IN:  (10) too many for me to list

OUT: (14) too many for me to list

14/15:

IN:  (12) too many for me to list

OUT: ( 9) too many for me to list

15/16:

IN:  (15) too many for me to list

OUT: (19) too many for me to list

• Upvote 3

Always think it looks weird when you have a player posing with their new team's shirt and/or scarf when they still playing for another team for the next 4/5 months.

Would still expect announcements to be made. It's essentially impossible to keep a secret. Everyone at the old club and the new club would know, no one does that not leak.

Agree father... See Ryan Jack.  Probably the worst kept secret in Scottish football during his last 6 months.

• Upvote 1

A guy on P&B who got most of the transfer window stuff correct said we have a couple of things agreed but the club are not releasing until the end of the season.

Probably complete BS from this poster but the Wright to Dundee shout was a good one a week or so before it happened.

It's hard to believe we have anyone signed but not announced but could plausibly be correct and either

A) the request of the player wants to pretend he is staying at his current club - same situation as Shinnie

B) we don't want to give the game away that Shinnie is leaving which would be fairly clear if we've scooped an obvious first pick central midfielder

In reality DM has signed nobody. 

What a laugh that Tommy Wright said we have backed off the Shaughnessy contract negotiations until we got the window out of the way. 

The squad size we have is fine as including Frank Ross it's 20 outfield players. Hopefully Ross is close to a return. Wright desperately needed a loan move to a lower PL side McInnes should have punted him on loan at the start of the season and brought Stewart back at that point but better late than never I suppose. Anderson hasn't featured much and after the signing of Stewart was unlikely to.

Reynolds I would have kept for emergencies as I don't see the value of loaning him out as he's at the end of his career and is out of contract at the end of the season. But barring major injuries he was unlikely to feature and McInnes must be sure that Devlin is just about ready to return and that Hoban is now properly fit. Reynolds gave me the fear every time he played in the last few seasons he was unlikely to feature even Ball would be called upon to play in defence before him.

Lowe and Stewart in with Forrester and Tansey permanently punted and 3 players who barely feature put out on loan is hardly a tragedy.

In agreement with you. However, I don't think people are calling it catastrophic, or a tragedy.

I think it's just disappointing.

We could've done with some real quality to aid some sort of title challenge, that DNA was supposed to provide, Stewart is a good signing though. With people buying into the membership scheme, you'd have thought we'd be reaping the benefits by now. Chris Harvey on twitter saying the budget is blown, which is interesting, if true. Considering the amount we've had go this window in comparison to what's came in.

I don't think it's disastrous but it's hard to place judgement on it until May.

Anything outwith the top 3 and another cup final would be a huge disappointment and it would definitely result in people wondering whether or not they've been swindled out their dosh. Interesting times ahead, hopefully the squad doesn't fall away and we don't have any more inner turmoil with the support.

Possibly to avoid a situation like Jordan Jones playing out in the media? I know McInnes doesn't really enjoy airing his dirty laundry in public...

I was hoping we'd be in for Jason Kerr personally... think we've signed the wrong Saints centre half.

Every post you make makes it more apparent that you know fuck all about football.

Jesus.

A guy on P&B who got most of the transfer window stuff correct said we have a couple of things agreed but the club are not releasing until the end of the season.

That would address my biggest concern that we did not do enough pre-contracts for next season.  Considering all the question marks with out of contracts (Shinnie , GMS), loans ending (too many to name)  and players gone for good (Forrester, Tansey and I guess Reynolds)  Liked that we were in for Turnbull, but you got to respect his loyalty to his side considering he left money on the table by turning down a "bigger or more lucrative club" to resign.

Not sure, if Shinnie, McKenna and lesser extent GMS status complicated pre-contract matters. So guess the intrigue will remain till the summer about Shaughnessy, Cadden and Halkett final landing places etc.  I was surprised none of them publicly signed pre-contracts during the window but considering the flak taken by Jones and Kamara...maybe not so much.  Any or all  would be good additions to build around our current youth movement. 

We could've done with some real quality to aid some sort of title challenge, that DNA was supposed to provide, Stewart is a good signing though. With people buying into the membership scheme, you'd have thought we'd be reaping the benefits by now. Chris Harvey on twitter saying the budget is blown, which is interesting, if true. Considering the amount we've had go this window in comparison to what's came in.

I think it has been mentioned on the forum that Wilson allocated portion of wages took a significant portion of the DNA budget.  However, thought we were getting some wage relief from Tansey and Forrester deals plus loan deals for Reynolds, Wright and Anderson. Forrester transfer writeoff should be offset by our Exeter City gain. How much weaker is attendance this year, I know it is constantly being mentioned with respect to the improvement at the capital clubs. The wage budget has to have fallen from last season with no Rooney or McLean on the books and  with all the academy players and Gleason.

Or stay the same?

That's pretty much the 3 options, isn't it?

He was knocking in the goals for Kilmarnock. He's much fitter but this is Aberdeen run by mcinnes. Will he give Stewart the same freedom to play as he did with Kilmarnock. ??? Plus when is MAY going to start putting the ball in the net. Tomorrow against a hibs manager less, I can't see Aberdeen winning this one another draw.

I think it has been mentioned on the forum that Wilson allocated portion of wages took a significant portion of the DNA budget.  However, thought we were getting some wage relief from Tansey and Forrester deals plus loan deals for Reynolds, Wright and Anderson. Forrester transfer writeoff should be offset by our Exeter City gain. How much weaker is attendance this year, I know it is constantly being mentioned with respect to the improvement at the capital clubs. The wage budget has to have fallen from last season with no Rooney or McLean on the books and  with all the academy players and Gleason.

Pretty sure we will have had to pay Tansey & Forrester some form of pay off to fk off early,at least the remainder of this seasons wages. So their moving on has had ZERO benefit to THIS seasons wage budget.

I think it has been mentioned on the forum that Wilson allocated portion of wages took a significant portion of the DNA budget.

What does this mean though? Yes, Wilson's wages have to be paid for and yes, DNA brought in some money but there's no 'allocated portion of wages' or a 'DNA budget'.

Or is there? I dunno.

Pretty sure we will have had to pay Tansey & Forrester some form of pay off to fk off early,at least the remainder of this seasons wages. So their moving on has had ZERO benefit to THIS seasons wage budget.

Did have a benefit in general though. The team won't need to look at the ugly bastard Forrester every morning at training.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Coming from one of the most clueless posters on AFC Chat, I'll take that as a compliment.

Coming from one of the most clueless posters on AFC Chat, I'll take that as a compliment.

You just keep posting the usual nonsense, but I'm the clueless one.

There isn't a post you make that isn't full of shite, you're fairly obviously not a bright chap, in the fnd millertime shooftah mode.

You just keep posting the usual nonsense, but I'm the clueless one.

There isn't a post you make that isn't full of shite, you're fairly obviously not a bright chap, in the fnd millertime shooftah mode.

Go on then, indulge me.  You obviously think that signing Shaughnessy represents a better option.  I don't doubt Shaughnessy will do a job, however IMO Jason Kerr is the better footballer, with a far higher ceiling.  Injury permitting he'll go on to have a much better career than Shaughnessy.

Jason Kerr has excellent re-sale value, if we'd be able to get him on a 3 or 4 year contract and I think his style would better compliment Devlin next season.  Shaughnessy being much more agricultural in style!

A very active transfer window doesn't mean the club is improving, nor does a barren one mean the club is stagnating. There are clubs that use the transfer window simply to appease fans and sate their appetite for new developments (I'd put sevco in this basket and hearts in this category).

Anyway, Transfer windows condense the market into a short timespace and creates an urgency (or panic) that was never their before. The huge turnover in playing staff that is common across clubs these days was never as severe in the past.

I've pulled togther a list of transfers from seasons past. Early years, it was slow evolution.

Got my info from https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/aberdeen-fc/2019/6/ . I almost lost a day there.

78/79:

IN: (1) M.McGhee

OUT: (2) I.Fleming, J.Smith

79/80:

IN: (1) D.Bell

OUT: (3) D.Sullivan, N.Cooper (Neil, not Neale), C.McLelland

80/81:

IN: (2) W.McCall, M.DeClerck

OUT: (2) D.Davidson, S.Archibald

81/82:

IN: (1) P.Weir

OUT: (4) D.Considine, M.DeClerck, W.Garner, I.Scanlon

82/83:

IN: (0)

OUT: (3) B.Clark, A.Dornan, D.Jarvie

83/84:

IN: (2) S.McKimmie, B.Stark

OUT: (2) W.McCall, A.Watson

84/85:

IN: (3) B.Grant, F.MgDougall, T.McQueen

OUT: (3) M.McGhee, D.Rougvie, G.Strachan

85/86:

IN: (2) J.Bett, B.Irvine

OUT: (2) D.Bell, S.Cowan

86/87:

IN: (3) D.Dodds, B.Connor, N.Hammond (a goalie???)

OUT: (8) J.McMaster, T.McQueen, B.Mitchell, I.Angus, E.Black, N.Cooper, B.Gunn, T.McIntyre

87/88:

IN: (5) C.Nicholas, P.Nicholas, G.Hackett, K.Edwards, T.Jones

OUT: (4) G.Hackett, P.Weir, J.Miller, B.Stark

88/89:

IN: (5) A.Gibsom, C.Robertson, W.VanderArk, P.Mason, T.Snelders

OUT: (6) I.Porteous, T.Jones, K.Edwards, W.Falconer, J.Leighton, P.Nicholas

89/90:

IN: (3) B.Mimms, H.Gillhaus, I.Cameron

OUT: (3) D.Dodds, J.Hewitt, P.Wright

90/91:

IN: (3) A.Dibble, N,Cooper, P.VandeVen

OUT: (6) A.Dibble, L.Gardner, S.Gray, B.Mimms, C.Nicholas, N.Simpson

""

""

13/14:

IN: (10) too many for me to list

OUT: (14) too many for me to list

14/15:

IN: (12) too many for me to list

OUT: ( 9) too many for me to list

15/16:

IN: (15) too many for me to list

OUT: (19) too many for me to list

87/88 in makes for some reading.

• Upvote 1

What does this mean though? Yes, Wilson's wages have to be paid for and yes, DNA brought in some money but there's no 'allocated portion of wages' or a 'DNA budget'.

Or is there? I dunno.

I thought the gaffer mentioned at the time of Wilson transfer deal that DNA monies raised helped to make the loan deal happen. Not sure if that meant wages and/or a loan fee. Someone rumoured on the forum we could be paying up to 7k of his 30k weekly wages.  What I meant by budget is that the gaffer must be assuming a portion of the DNA raised and designated for first team is included as part of his wage budget each year. Personally, I rather it be used for transfers so where the money goes is more transparent. Sorry, maybe I am thinking more like a banker than as a fan. 

I think the last quote was (net) 600k raised for first team or 1 million less VAT and expenses in July 18