Pre Season

I reckon this might not be too far away:

Cosgrove

McLennan Hedges> <Wilson

Ferguson Bryson

Leigh McKenna Considine Logan

Lewis

Gallagher, Main, Devlin, Taylor will all feature heavily also.  Looking at Gallagher in particular, early days obviously but his directness and work-rate kind of showed us what we've been missing since Hayes.  The squad has options for sure but the starting line-up last night was certainly with an eye how we'll shape up in the RoPS game; it didn't have an air of an experimental early pre-season game - ie if McLennan doesn't make it then a straight shoot-out between E Ross & Gallagher for LW

Interesting strategy going with Cosgrove in goals @@The Hulk

but a little trimmer.

Took me a minute :clangers2:

Interesting to hear as we've barely played any football since Hayes left so sounds promising that we may see a return to some decent wing play.

Thought the same. Promising start last night.

I think things are pointing to Deano starting next week (in absence of a marquee midfielder joining before Monday or so). Campbell, Bryson and Ferguson all in there with Hedges wide and one of McLennan/McGinn managing the first 55 mins on other side

I get that, due to experience etc, but I think Deano has done his chances no harm so far in pre season, especially last night where (in my totally shameless and biased opinion) I thought he was arguably our best player.

I'd have no issue with Deano starting a lot of games in beside Ferguson and Bryson.

I do think it'd be a bit unfair to put so much pressure on him to perform as a first pick every week though.

I get that, due to experience etc, but I think Deano has done his chances no harm so far in pre season, especially last night where (in my totally shameless and biased opinion) I thought he was arguably our best player.

And in similarly shameless fashion I’m happy to admit I missed said performance last night. I’m purely going on Dereks previous tendency for the tried and tested which would ordinarily be two big DMs (whilst he works out how to replace Shinnie) in front of the CHs, two wide players (promising reports in that respect also) and a kind of a mash up 2 up front as he (and they) decide what his best attacking options are. Having not seen the lad since Kilmarnock days, doubt he’ll see Bryson up there. Which means....

Love to be proved wrong not just for Deano but to watch something different develop. Luv it, just luv it, keegan stylee.

Looking forward to seeing the younger loons tonight as well.

I reckon Deano will be heavily involved in all the European games for a couple of reasons, McInnes said last year that he trusts him in the games against the likes of Celtic / huns where there's a bit of football played and it's less of a physical battle. And, he's going to be fit and have games under his belt unlike Bryson.

His ability and calmness on the ball is what we've been lacking and I think he'll get a chance to show it in Europe, unless the Finns are a bunch of hammer throwers of course, which is a possibility!

I reckon Deano will be heavily involved in all the European games for a couple of reasons, McInnes said last year that he trusts him in the games against the likes of Celtic / huns where there's a bit of football played and it's less of a physical battle. And, he's going to be fit and have games under his belt unlike Bryson.

His ability and calmness on the ball is what we've been lacking and I think he'll get a chance to show it in Europe, unless the Finns are a bunch of hammer throwers of course, which is a possibility!

He’d probably excel if football was allowed and encouraged in these big games.

I'd have no issue with Deano starting a lot of games in beside Ferguson and Bryson.

I do think it'd be a bit unfair to put so much pressure on him to perform as a first pick every week though.

I don't agree with the pressure comment - if the loon is ready to play week in week out he's ready - and to me he looks more than capable of being a starter. 

Plenty players play every week at 18, so why can't Deano.

Edit: Just to add, by not playing players who are ready for first team football you just hold them back in progressing. Best way for him to progress his game is playing at the top level he can every game.

Deano got to be looking at Ferguson from last season. Similar age to what he is now and came in and made a first 11 spot his own.

I agree although very difficult as Bryson will start most weeks and so will Ferguson. Doesn't leave much space in there but I have a feeling Campbell will start next week as McInnes does have a lot of trust in him, based on previous games he's been given. It is a big season for Dean though.

Did Hedges play outwide?  I've read elsewhere he played at Number 10?

He played most of the game at no10. Like I say quite often dropping deeper with Ferguson interchanging with him (see below).  May came on to play his customary defensive forward role but again quite often he and Hedges (went to wide right) interchanged; Hedges had more joy in the wide areas than May.  Hedges is similar to a young Kenny McLean; technically very good with great feet and probably more likely to hurt opposition teams from central areas.

I’m purely going on Dereks previous tendency for the tried and tested which would ordinarily be two big DMs (whilst he works out how to replace Shinnie) in front of the CHs

Certainly seemed that when we had the ball, two of our 3 midfielders pushed forward with one dropping deep to collect from the centre-backs (esp when playing out); most often this was Dean Campbell though Ferguson did it alot too.  The shape lended itself to looking for one or two box-to-box midfielders, like I say either Hedges or Ferguson, or both, with one of them ususally dropping in when defending to have the two sitting players. To be fair we saw alot of this last season; Shinnie and/or Ferguson often popping up in advanced positions.

From the comments above we can have no worries if Dean plays against RoPS at all, the midfield shape was really good and it is definitely the kind of game you want to pitch him in at and especially if Bryson is not 100% fit (or whatever %age that needs to be at this stage of "pre-season") there's no point throwing him in unless later on to get minutes.  Similarly if Hedges plays out wide, Dean could still play even if Bryson plays, with a simple tweak to push Ferguson (or Bryson) forward.  Like I said in my earlier post, lots of options with the squad right now; I could imagine we have the option to rotate the midfield personnel quite alot depending upon the type of game we want to play.

I've got a dilemma.

This Saturday I've got Auld Mrs McPlop, who has dementia to look after as I couldn't get respite. Do I A, take her to the game and put up with the moaning when she realises it's football and not a Rural tea dance, B prop her up at a table in Wetherspoons and order drinks and food for her throughout the afternoon via the Wetherspoons app, C Ask the Dons to make her mascot for the day, D, lock her in the shed which she doesn't like because of the rodents, she eats that many it puts her off her tea.E let her roam free for the afternoon then find her later using her tracker?

I've got a dilemma.

This Saturday I've got Auld Mrs McPlop, who has dementia to look after as I couldn't get respite. Do I A, take her to the game and put up with the moaning when she realises it's football and not a Rural tea dance, B prop her up at a table in Wetherspoons and order drinks and food for her throughout the afternoon via the Wetherspoons app, C Ask the Dons to make her mascot for the day, D, lock her in the shed which she doesn't like because of the rodents, she eats that many it puts her off her tea.E let her roam free for the afternoon then find her later using her tracker?

A, she will soon forget where she is.