Steve Clarke's First Squad

Scotland fans are mental.

McKenna shite. Killie players shite. McLean shite. McGregor shite. Burke shite.

Look at the players they are up against. I don't think one player let the team down last night. Several blips in concentration but we put up a great showing considering they've been under this regime for what, a week and a half?

Yeah, I was pretty happy with last night over all.  Belgium were the best team in the last world cup IMO.  They are the number one ranked team in the world and it's on merit.  They're as good as it gets.  We were playing them in their own back yard too!  If McLeish was in a charge and we'd played like we did against Kazakhstan (who are a woeful team), Belgium would have taken 10 off us...they might well have beaten the US ladies score of 13 goals!

I don't know if Clarke is going to be the man to, one day, lead us to qualification, but I do know that under him we wont get stuffed 3-0 by the likes of Kazakhstan.  Lets see what he's got next season.  

Twitter was unreal. The amount of Hearts fans complaining that Souttar should be ahead of McKenna. Souttar can pass the ball better, that's about it. Lukaku would have retired him last night.

Totally agree.  Souttar is a player that will be found out immediately if he steps up a level - he still gets regularly embarrassed in the SPFL! Given we were on a hiding to nothing last night, I kinda wish that we'd just thrown him to the lions. Just to shut those Jambos up!

With McKenna, I was pretty happy again.. against an absolutely formidable attack, he was always going to be up against it.  However, as usual, I thought he took it in his stride.  His mentality is probably one of his best assets - walking out there at Heysel, as part of our back 4, you'd have felt like a condemned man.  He'll learn a lot from last night.

Twitter was unreal. The amount of Hearts fans complaining that Souttar should be ahead of McKenna. Souttar can pass the ball better, that's about it. Lukaku would have retired him last night.

As bad as Aberdeen fans are in general, Hearts fans are a national embarrassment.

Last night was about par. Considering Clarke has had about 4 sessions with the squad, it's little wonder that we were unable to keep the best side in the world out.

Anyone blaming McKenna principally for that first goal is a moron. McTominay stopped playing and allowed Hazard to get a free cross in.

I'm optimistic about the future. I fancy us to take 4 points from the next two games at Hampden.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with last night over all. Belgium were the best team in the last world cup IMO. They are the number one ranked team in the world and it's on merit. They're as good as it gets. We were playing them in their own back yard too! If McLeish was in a charge and we'd played like we did against Kazakhstan (who are a woeful team), Belgium would have taken 10 off us...they might well have beaten the US ladies score of 13 goals!

I don't know if Clarke is going to be the man to, one day, lead us to qualification, but I do know that under him we wont get stuffed 3-0 by the likes of Kazakhstan. Lets see what he's got next season.

Totally agree. Souttar is a player that will be found out immediately if he steps up a level - he still gets regularly embarrassed in the SPFL! Given we were on a hiding to nothing last night, I kinda wish that we'd just thrown him to the lions. Just to shut those Jambos up!

With McKenna, I was pretty happy again.. up against an absolutely formidable attack, he was always going to be up against it. However, as usual, I thought he took it in his stride. His mentality is probably one of his best assets - walking out there at Heysel, as part of our back 4, you'd have felt like a condemned man. He'll learn a lot from last night.

Souttar was already found out a couple of times in one game for Scotland.

Not that I am slating him. He is still young & relatively inexperienced also but some fans have short memories & are extremely biased.

Might actually have been in the 0-4 Belgium game if I remember correctly.

He has been at fault (posted completely missing for one) for two goals in his three Scotland games.

Hearts fans are just bitter & jealous that McKenna is getting more games & press.

Celtic fans similar in regards Jack Hendry. Think they know they signed a dud in him. They are also bitter because we had the cheek to refuse their derogatory offer for him when another club was offering us double.

Hun fans just hate us/him in general.

Hibs fans haven’t yet reached the jealousy stage between Porteous (their version of McKenna) & mckenna but I am sure we will hear it from them also soon enough.

Souttar was already found out a couple of times in one game for Scotland.

Not that I am slating him. He is still young & relatively inexperienced also but some fans have short memories & are extremely biased.

Might actually have been in the 0-4 Belgium game if I remember correctly.

He has been at fault (posted completely missing for one) for two goals in his three Scotland games.

Hearts fans are just bitter & jealous that McKenna is getting more games & press.

Celtic fans similar in regards Jack Hendry. Think they know they signed a dud in him. They are also bitter because we had the cheek to refuse their derogatory offer for him when another club was offering us double.

Hun fans just hate us/him in general.

Hibs fans haven’t yet reached the jealousy stage between Porteous (their version of McKenna) & mckenna but I am sure we will hear it from them also soon enough.

Gads, find myself completely agreeing with this.

I thought McKenna was really poor but I thought the Killie players were by far the worst. Definitely not capable of playing at international level. That should be an end to that experiment. Forrest and Burke (severely overhyped) were abysmal. McLean was dreadful too. I like Clarke as a manager but fear his stock will suffer for taking this job. The players he has available to choose from are simply not good enough.

Talking shite.

Porteous is 10 times the man already that Willie Miller was at the same age. Has the added benefit of not looking like a bewildered Kazakh pickpocket. A fine blonde specimen from Leiths purest gene pool.

Unlucky with injury last year or he'd already be at Barcelona.

A future Scotland captain and thoroughly bloody nice chap.

You need to up your game, that's horrendous.

• Upvote 2

Porteous is 10 times the man already that Willie Miller was at the same age. Has the added benefit of not looking like a bewildered Kazakh pickpocket. A fine blonde specimen from Leiths purest gene pool.

He looks like a Colin Hendry type defender from what I've seen... Hard as nails, and willing to throw himself at anything, buy very much lacking in composure and technical ability.  Very rough around the edges.

He looks like a Colin Hendry type defender from what I've seen... Hard as nails, and willing to throw himself at anything, buy very much lacking in composure and technical ability.  Very rough around the edges.

I like the look of him. Old fashion CH that loves to tackle.

I think he will be better than Souttar & possibly McKenna also but not yet.

In all honesty I think we are in good shape for Scotland for CH’s in future

Noticed that also , Lukaku moved out then back in quickly , the cross was inch perfect . What was McKenna supposed to do

The goal was given away by the 2 or 3 (4?) players just watching Hazard think about where he wants to cross hit then pick his spot.

To blame McKenna before those guys is like blaming the keeper - it's too fucking late by that point.

• Site Sponsor

Who the fuck is Porteous?

Nae hard, the hibbees Willie Miller was fucking shite.

• Upvote 2

The more I watch it the more I think its ridiculous McKenna is being blamed. That is a great piece of movement from Lukaku to get the space.

Spot on. I even hit the rewind button to show my boy the movement from Lukaku. (He's 13 and fancies himself as a striker)

Without that movement he doesn't score. Subtle bit of class that sometimes goes unnoticed.

I think McKenna could have done a bit better.

He took a look behind and knew Lukaku was there then turned to watch the ball come in and ended up underneath the ball and not knowing where Lukaku had moved to.

I think he should have kept his eye on his man. Though the others are also far from blameless giving their most creative player loads of time and space to pick out his cross.

In the main though, I think Scott had a good game. That's a difficult front three to play against and Lukaku is a handful. All part of the learning experience.

The score wasn't beyond what most of us expected, but we need perspective here; Clarke has barely got his feet under the desk, yet has already made us look far, far better organised as a unit (until the first goal, we had exceeded all reasonable expectations. Conversely, if McLeish had been in charge it'd likely have been 6-0 or worse).

I'm confident that, if we give him time and if the up-and-coming players develop their game, we can at least have a fighting chance in the Nations League playoffs - which will get us to the Euros.

I think by the time we get the second crack at the whip for qualifying via the play off games, Clarke will have us in a better place.

Very doubtful we’ll get 2nd in the group now but we’ll be better off for having had to match up against Belgium and the Russians (they have a big unit playing up front too who McKenna will only improve from playing against).

Clarke should probably have us very well organised and with a plan by the time we play, Finland, is it? You could see even in last night’s game that we’re better organised and have a good shape. Even on the rare occasions when we had the ball we seemed to knock it around well.

Just a pity Burke has pretty woeful touch and awareness for a professional footballer. We might have retained the ball longer at times.