Scotland vs Russia/Belgium

I'm so glad I was a young loon in the 70s and 80s and saw some half decent Scotland sides. International games in those days were something we looked forward to weeks in advance with genuine excitement. Unbelieveable how bad we have become in the space of 30 years. Embarrassing and expect Belgium to put 5 or 6 past us tonight

The reason is them players then had the passion to pull on our shirt and shed blood for the cause.

These cunts now are passionless and don't give two hoots,that's why they pull out of games giving the slightest excuse to...Cunts.

The reason is them players then had the passion to pull on our shirt and shed blood for the cause.

These cunts now are passionless and don't give two hoots,that's why they pull out of games giving the slightest excuse to...Cunts.

No, the reason is the players then were decent. The current batch are shite. 

This whole 'yoU NeeD tO pLaY wiTH pAsSiON' pish is part of the mindset which is holding us back. As if a pre-match ceremonial reading of the Declaration of Arbroath and a screening of Braveheart would suddenly mean that our midfield had the tactical nous to close down a wee genius like de Bruyne. 

FWIW I actually don't think the majority of the current batch DO lack passion. Maybe one or two of them are a bit apathetic, but can you blame them? The real problem is a lack of ability, fitness, tactical awareness and confidence. None of that is addressed by fucking 'passion'. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This whole 'yoU NeeD tO pLaY wiTH pAsSiON' pish is part of the mindset which is holding us back. As if a pre-match ceremonial reading of the Declaration of Arbroath and a screening of Braveheart would suddenly mean that our midfield had the tactical nous to close down a wee genius like de Bruyne. 

FWIW I actually don't think the majority of the current batch DO lack passion. Maybe one or two of them are a bit apathetic, but can you blame them? The real problem is a lack of ability, fitness, tactical awareness and confidence. None of that is addressed by fucking 'passion'. 

Agree with all of that. 

'Heid First' was last a viable tactic in 1988. 

Am afraid it is all about lack of passion....Not all the players back then we're great,but the passion made up for it.

These players now have better training facilities than they had so citing fitness levels is shite.

Its all about wanting to give their all,these lot dont.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A terrific post

+1

So many of them completely out of their depth.

I come from an era when Scotland were aggressive in attack, taking game to opposition, instead of a Plan A of attempting to keep things tight which, once we lose the inevitable goal, reveals no Plan B.

I reckon our confidence would be so much higher if we employed a "best form of defence is attack approach".

Cyprus scored 4 in San Marino tonight, which is 2 more than we managed.

We are not far off rock bottom at this rate.

Watching Northern Ireland and they are having a right go at Germany, are there players any better than ours, what they do have is great organisation team spirit and a bit of passion. Germany have had too work for there win unlike Belgium and Russia.

We dont have the players Northern Ireland have at their disposal. It's easy for them when they've got McGinn and can even afford to have Magennis on the bench.

Guest milne_afc

Scotland played the 0-0 part of the game in the Belgian half. The absolute dearth of quality is the problem, as evidenced. 2 quality passes of the ball and the match was over as a contest.

Monkey nations like Scotland have no place in big tourney qualifiers. They should be grouped with San Marino, Andorra etc and made to play in some lower tier competition. They're laughably bad.

@@Woody21

Scotland played the 0-0 part of the game in the Belgian half. The absolute dearth of quality is the problem, as evidenced. 2 quality passes of the ball and the match was over as a contest.

Monkey nations like Scotland have no place in big tourney qualifiers. They should be grouped with San Marino, Andorra etc and made to play in some lower tier competition. They're laughably bad.

@@Woody21

It's a fair point. 

Scotland brings nothing to the table in international football, except for the real teams to boost their goal difference. 

That used to be the domain of the likes of Cyprus, Malta, Israel, Iceland... now that's us.