Coronavirus

Henry

Guest milne_afc
2 minutes ago, Poodler said:

The truth is there are heaps of different factors that play into ones class, but if you're someone who owns more than one house, and makes money from being a landlord, are you flying fuck working class.

So, what if you grew up on a council estate, went to a state school and rarely went on holiday but became quite successful and a BTL property with some disposable income, would you have transitioned from working to middle class?

Can you move between classes?

4 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

So, what if you grew up on a council estate, went to a state school and rarely went on holiday but became quite successful and a BTL property with some disposable income, would you have transitioned from working to middle class?

Can you move between classes?

Promoted and relegated all the time, bit like Hearts

18 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

As a quick aside @Boofon 

I think your misunderstanding of what makes someone working or middle class is actually an indication of being an Aberdonian fuckwit. Only an Aberdonian could own multiple properties and still consider themselves working class. Just about anywhere else in the world you'd be laughed at. 

I’m not Aberdonian 

41 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I personally don't have money, and if you were paying attention, and actually read anything I've said, I don't think I'm better than anyone else. Quite the opposite, I think class a stupid barrier in our society. I was alluding to how lucky I was, rather than thinking I'm better than anyone. 

I wasn't saying "yeah we had this when I was young, so I'm a higher class than those who didn't" I simply stated that because of all the privileges I was afforded, many many people would view me middle class. My girlfriend, grew up with her mum on a low paying carer job, her dad was in and out of her life and didn't pay any child support, being an alchy and that. My life growing up in comparison to hers is apples and oranges. She would say and does say I'm middle class, such is the difference in our background and how we grew up. 

You've clearly totally misunderstood where I'm coming from, and jumped on me answering your question honestly, as me being a spoiled bratty wee shite who thinks he's better than everyone. Just simply not the case. 

I disagree with your classifications, and so would most sociologists, politicians, and anyone who wanted to research class in the UK. It seems to me that you yourself, wouldn't be comfortable with being labelled middle class.  

The truth is there are heaps of different factors that play into ones class, but if you're someone who owns more than one house, and makes money from being a landlord, are you flying fuck working class.

Totally disagree with much of what you've said there. 

Recognising that you might be in a higher class than working class, isn't lording it over those in a perceived lower class, it's admitting you had it easier than millions and understanding that it's a big factor in where you end up in life. 

You think being middle class is having nice things. 

You said you were middle class. 

I corrected you. 

Enough of the waffle. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Just now, rocket_scientist said:

As I said yesterday, and as Dayts, Bluto and RFE have also said, the old working/middle/upper class system thing isn't valid or relevant today.

The main reasons I don't think that it's relevant is in the definitions; the boundaries aren't fixed, they're not even there. As Bluts says, nothing preventing anyone getting "educated" and "climbing up the ladder" but here's where the problem lies; the "ladder" is perceived status and it's built on snobbery.

I spoke about my experiences from the mid 70's delivering papers and football coupons in Aberdeen and the remarkable differences I found between Mastrick and the shitbox semis in Deeside Gardens. That was one of a number of privately owned streets I delivered to but the most memorable because of the cunt who stood there waiting for her penny change on a 99p Spot the Ball, in the pissing rain from a soaking 14 year old kid on a bike getting off his arse to "serve" them. That coupon got ripped up, the first (of subsequently many).

There is no difference in "status" or even the jobs between these people but there was a massive difference in mentalities. The "working class" people (which we all are) who thought they were better than others because they had a shit car in the driveway of their shit house, heavily mortgaged and borrowed up to the hilt (and who I refer to as "middle class wannabes") are unlike the people in the coonsil estates who had little and often nothing. The snobs don't see people, being consumed by their delusions of superiority and "working hard" to feed their sickness.

This is a generalisation of course but if it's noticeable to a young kid, it probably exists. There were some nice punters in the private hooses and scum in the schemes. The worst cunt I ever came across (as an adult this time, for treating people like shit) was mega-loaded.

The "class" thing today only exists to reinforce shit like "status" and snobbery. Other than the aristocracy and landed gentry, it's no longer real and even the inherited wealth and "status" cunts are fucked up; look at Charles wanting to be a tampon and Andy getting sex wherever he could cos he's not man enough to get it normally.

Spot on. 

• Downvote 2
4 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Not really. I reject your notion of the middle class. I see doctors and professors as the same people as posties and scaffies, just with bigger incomes and therefore bigger hooses and cars. 

It was a generalist bracket. 

I’m not arguing over who’s who merely pointing out Consi isn’t middle class but thinks he is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In the bunk currently and overheard some boy at the desk saying he felt dodgy travelling from aberdeenshire in to Aberdeen city. Apparently you’re not allowed to travel outside your council area. I had no idea, is that correct. Also fucking lol at how much of a loser the guy is for even considering that. Amazing how some will just do what they’re told and not question anything 

• Upvote 2
59 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

You think being middle class is having nice things. 

You said you were middle class. 

I corrected you. 

Enough of the waffle. 

Nah. I said many times it was also having opportunity, I just listed some of the luxuries I was allowed growing up that many kids aren't lol. 

You're now misquoting me. 

You're someone that thinks an individual who owns more than one house can be working class, mental. 

The minute you become a landlord, you are 111000000% no longer working class. 

Ok, you're not Aberdonian. You're still someone who has no idea about class. 

It's an abstract concept, I was all ears for what you had to say, and then you demonstrated a total misunderstanding of what class is. Insulting me along the way. You spoke as if what you meant was so obvious as well ? 

Its ok to disagree, I don't wish any ill. 

take it easy 

2 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

In respect of most of the Occident going into lockdown or being placed under restrictions, it was a case of follow the leader, i.e. if one member state goes into lockdown, we will do the same. 

That's why I take my hat off to Alexander Lukashenko, a proper leader of a man who made his own, unique and imaginative decisions to get his country through this perceived "pandemic". 1,333 deaths attributed to the Coronavirus, out of a population of just under 9.5 million evidences my belief. 

My interpretation of what Daytripping has said is that he is of the same or similar belief as me as this event was always going to happen and has been manipulated to such an extent and for so long that the majority of our population have become meekly and willingly internalised.

Dayts doesn't strike me as a Brexiteer but if that is his political belief then c'est la vie. 

I'm amazed that anyone believes anything coming from the Belarus government.

The man is a dictator, pure and simple, they will have been many deaths from covid19 there but it will not have been reported.

3 hours ago, dazzy_deff said:

That's right - ken his folks. 

His parents should disown him.

2 hours ago, Poodler said:

He's one of those people who says 'I'll take the Q7' instead of 'I'll take the car'. 

it's a subtle difference but tells you all you need to know about a man.

I was on a teams call with work earlier on and my boss's daughter piped up asking if he had parked the Audi in front of the BMW. She could just as easily have said have you parked in front of mums car, but for some reason the make was required. I asked if the Bentley was in the way too. Nae sure if my boss appreciated that.

They're from Portsoy, so it's not just Aberdeen fowk.

19 minutes ago, cheesepipes said:

Your landlord thing is nonsense. 

No it isn't. 

The minute you start taking someone else's hard earned cash, because you've found yourself in a position to be fortunate enough to own two homes, you're immediately no longer working class. 

Private housing is a disgrace, I'm of the opinion it it's morally bankrupt to be a landlord. 

It's legalised exploitation. 

Aye you’re having a nightmare here Consi, poor example. There’s a multitude of reasons why people are able to rent property out. If working class couples move in with each other and rent the other one bedroom flat out do they gain automatic promotion to the middle class? If someone inherits an ex council flat from their old grannie are they suddenly up a bracket? It’s a load of meaningless bollocks anyway but your words are all’s wrong. 

33 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

No it isn't. 

The minute you start taking someone else's hard earned cash, because you've found yourself in a position to be fortunate enough to own two homes, you're immediately no longer working class. 

Private housing is a disgrace, I'm of the opinion it it's morally bankrupt to be a landlord. 

It's legalised exploitation. 

Fuck me son. Just logged on to about 10 pages of your muddled idealism. 

You are getting schooled. A few posts ago you said you were logging off, take your own advice. 

Sorry to bring the corona virus forum back to corona virus but I see that Nicola has now said that garden centres and hardware shops must close.

Also she is looking to make level 4 restrictions tougher.

Why does she keep saying Scotland is doing well when the positive tests have shot up by 60% the last few days?