Coronavirus

Henry

13 hours ago, Ke1t said:

** Was there a facility available to the skier that said, "Use this and you're 99% certain to never have an accident"? And if so, did he say, "Fuck you, YOLO!" and throw himself off the top of a mountain that had no snow on it?

Covid's as dangerous as throwing yourself down a mountain now ?

11 hours ago, manboobs109 said:

The principle is the same. Their behaviour has directly led to their requirement for medical treatment.

And the requirement for medical treatment is just about the only correlation. 

There's never, in human history, been a pandemic of sports injuries that put terminal pressure on global health services, spread through the population of non-sports-playing people and killed them, or mutated into a more virulent form of sports injury that continued to kill hundreds of thousands of people and cripple millions more. 

The comparison is silly, and I kinda suspect you know it... but you're continuing on with it in lieu of a genuine argument. 

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

And the requirement for medical treatment is just about the only correlation. 

There's never, in human history, been a pandemic of sports injuries that put terminal pressure on global health services, spread through the population of non-sports-playing people and killed them, or mutated into a more virulent form of sports injury that continued to kill hundreds of thousands of people and cripple millions more. 

The comparison is silly, and I kinda suspect you know it... but you're continuing on with it in lieu of a genuine argument. 

I'm not comparing skiing with covid and you know that. I'm saying people do stupid things all the time and no one advocates just letting them die except in this instance. Cliff divers, smokers, drinkers, speeding drivers, people that fuck about in the sea, drug takers etc

7 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

I'm not comparing skiing with covid and you know that. I'm saying people do stupid things all the time and no one advocates just letting them die except in this instance. Cliff divers, smokers, drinkers, speeding drivers, people that fuck about in the sea, drug takers etc

Stupid things on an individual basis, that being things that only impact the idiot, are very different from stupid things that impact humanity on a global scale.

Its like saying smoking a fag is just as bad as starting a forest fire, because they both contribute to air pollution.

Your analogy lacks any equivalence.

Give me an example of skiing accidents killing millions in a year, breaking healthcare systems around the world, crashing the global economy, and creating mass unemployment... because this is the equivalence your argument rests on.

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

One individual not taking a vaccine doesn't impact humanity on a global scale.

In 2019, one person was the first, and at the time only, person to have Covid-19. Since that time, millions have died and tens of millions have suffered the effects. The Global economy crashed, schools and business closed, tens more millions lost their jobs. 

I'd say it's fair to say that Covid has subsequently impacted humanity on a Global scale. 

In 1998 Sonny Bobo skied into a into a tree, resulting in his death, because he was being stupid. Since that time there have been ZERO Sonny Bono related deaths recorded anywhere in the world.

These are not equivalent scenarios. 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

In 2019, one person was the first, and at the time only, person to have Covid-19. Since that time, millions have died and tens of millions have suffered the effects. The Global economy crashed, schools and business closed, tens more millions lost their jobs. 

I'd say it's fair to say that Covid has subsequently impacted humanity on a Global scale. 

In 1998 Sonny Bobo skied into a into a tree, resulting in his death, because he was being stupid. Since that time there have been ZERO Sonny Bono related deaths recorded anywhere in the world.

These are not equivalent scenarios. 

You're deliberately missing the point I'm making.

Fair enough.

11 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

You're deliberately missing the point I'm making.

Fair enough.

Well, let's see if I understand your point... 

Your point is that it all boils down to personal responsibility. Someone who risks their own neck (ie sport) is the same degree of irresponsible as someone who risks their own neck and other people's necks (ie. a transmissible disease). And of course, it's demonstrably not, because, not to beat a dead horse, I'm not going to kill anyone, or infect anyone, when I walk around with a broken ankle. 

My broken ankle puts minimal strain on a health service that is more than equipped to absorb even an unusually high number of broken ankles. 

BUT! your point continues... even WITH the vax, you can still transmit the virus!

Well, yes, but the chances of being hospitalised and putting immense pressure on the health service and the economy are 99% diminished, so the smart thing to do, from a personal and a global perspective, is to get vaxxed. 

Breaking an ankle is insignificant. 

Spreading Covid through an unvaxxed demographic is catastrophic. 

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Fair enough, but that makes me think I was on the money. 

OK you are concentrating on skiing but I was using that as an example of the multitude of stupid things that people do every day that put themselves and others in danger. Speeding drivers, drink drivers, stupid idiots in dinghies in the sea, people getting in fights, people do stupid things every day and I don't hear people saying "let them die"

Now obviously none of them are exactly the fucking same as a virus in a pandemic, I'm not saying they are, but there is a comparison to be made. Do we judge people's actions and how they have contributed to their conditions before we decide to treat them? You say yes, I say no because if we do where do we stop?

Last word on the topic no matter how much you slaver on about Sonny Bono, broken ankles or whatever.

7 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

* OK you are concentrating on skiing but I was using that as an example of the multitude of stupid things that people do every day that put themselves and others in danger. Speeding drivers, drink drivers, stupid idiots in dinghies in the sea, people getting in fights,

** people do stupid things every day and I don't hear people saying "let them die"

*** Now obviously none of them are exactly the fucking same as a virus in a pandemic, I'm not saying they are, but there is a comparison to be made. Do we judge people's actions and how they have contributed to their conditions before we decide to treat them? You say yes, I say no because if we do where do we stop?

**** Last word on the topic no matter how much you slaver on about Sonny Bono, broken ankles or whatever.

* Skiing is a merely metaphor for 'Stupid things people do that may lead to personal injury'. It doesn't really pertain only to skiing. Could also be skateboarding, drugs, alcohol, sticking your cock in a crocodile's mouth... 

** Because ordinarily, as in the case of stupid things like skiing... or sticking your cock in a crocodile's mouth... these would be insignificant. Health systems are prepped for regular stupidity, and can handle the load. But right now we're in a pandemic. But times are not 'ordinary'. They are EXTRAordinary. And in extraordinary times we need to take extraordinary measures to keep the health system from collapsing.  This brings us back to Triage. 

*** Again... extraordinary times call for special measures. These ARE extraordinary times. And those not doing their part need to be treated as the danger to the greater public health that they are. 

**** 'Slaver'? I've been nothing but clear, concise, and rational. 

• Upvote 7
10 hours ago, Ke1t said:

* Skiing is a merely metaphor for 'Stupid things people do that may lead to personal injury'. It doesn't really pertain only to skiing. Could also be skateboarding, drugs, alcohol, sticking your cock in a crocodile's mouth... 

** Because ordinarily, as in the case of stupid things like skiing... or sticking your cock in a crocodile's mouth... these would be insignificant. Health systems are prepped for regular stupidity, and can handle the load. But right now we're in a pandemic. But times are not 'ordinary'. They are EXTRAordinary. And in extraordinary times we need to take extraordinary measures to keep the health system from collapsing.  This brings us back to Triage. 

*** Again... extraordinary times call for special measures. These ARE extraordinary times. And those not doing their part need to be treated as the danger to the greater public health that they are. 

**** 'Slaver'? I've been nothing but clear, concise, and rational. 

You're not being rational