Aberdeen 2 - 1 St Mirren

15 minutes ago, AllyDon said:

Mcinnes post match said "we were relentless with our work the last 15, 20 minutes". 

That's part of the issue for me. How about sending the team out to play like that from the starting of games rather than the last 15, 20 minutes. I know we can't play like that for 90 minutes but it might slow down my graying hair!!

Did enjoy some of our passing play last night. Much better side when we keep the ball on the deck. 

Na the biggest concern is that he said last minute winners are worth about 12 to 15 points per season. 

He needs to go back to school and learn maths again. 

Just finished watching it and I’m not sure it’s as bad as some are making out. First 20 mins we had them on the back foot and if we scored it would of changed the outlook completely, it was the same against county last week it’s just St Mirren defended better and made it more frustrating. 
I think they scored with their only shot on target and it was bit of a screamer but we did well to come back into it and in the end only one team was looking to win it.

There we’ll be a lot of games like that in a season, celtic are masters at getting late goals to win games and we need to do it more to turn draws into wins as I think that’s where we drop a lot of points. 

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

Don't blame me for you not being able to think with clarity. 

I guess you’ve just given me a glimpse of what others see in you. Lesson learned on my part

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

Edit: Do you remember the episode of the Simpsons when they were wired up to inflict pain on one another? So brilliant on many levels. 

Vaguely, but not with any real clarity of recollection.

12 minutes ago, thurso said:

Just finished watching it and I’m not sure it’s as bad as some are making out. First 20 mins we had them on the back foot and if we scored it would of changed the outlook completely, it was the same against county last week it’s just St Mirren defended better and made it more frustrating. 
I think they scored with their only shot on target and it was bit of a screamer but we did well to come back into it and in the end only one team was looking to win it.

There we’ll be a lot of games like that in a season, celtic are masters at getting late goals to win games and we need to do it more to turn draws into wins as I think that’s where we drop a lot of points. 

Totally agree. I also think that there will be a lot of games at home hoping to sit in, frustrate and hit on the counter.

Motherwell benefitted from the soft pen and Lewis mistake. St Mirren took the lead and were ahead going into the last 20 minutes.

Id expect most teams to come to Pittodrie and set up similarly

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

I despair. It's not possible to finish second this season. It's not going to happen. That's optimism running rampant over realism and truth being sacrificed in the process. Maybe you need to watch a lot of football over a lot of time to be able to see the obvious. 

ok Mr I Know Best , i'll continue to hope for the best thank you

• Upvote 1

McCrorie had his worst performance so far for us last night. He wasn't dreadful by any means (Wright was, and I don't think McGinn was much better) but our midfield just never dominated St Mirren for any great lengths until we got our equaliser. 

The big difference is that last season we most certainly wouldn't have won from 0-1 down. Most likely we would have lost the game, but if we had gotten a late equaliser we would have settled for that and put it down to "one of those nights" where not a lot went right and rationalised that a point was a decent result in the circumstances. However anyone who thinks we can split the arse cheeks, in spite of our obvious improvement, is deluded. Money talks and they spend millions every transfer window. I'd certainly hope that we don't finish 25 points behind whomever finishes runners up though. Third should be a given..our squad is larger and better than Hibs' so will cope better in mid to late season when injuries and suspensions kick in.

10 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

McCrorie had his worst performance so far for us last night. He wasn't dreadful by any means (Wright was, and I don't think McGinn was much better) but our midfield just never dominated St Mirren for any great lengths until we got our equaliser. 

The big difference is that last season we most certainly wouldn't have won from 0-1 down. Most likely we would have lost the game, but if we had gotten a late equaliser we would have settled for that and put it down to "one of those nights" where not a lot went right and rationalised that a point was a decent result in the circumstances. However anyone who thinks we can split the arse cheeks, in spite of our obvious improvement, is deluded. Money talks and they spend millions every transfer window. I'd certainly hope that we don't finish 25 points behind whomever finishes runners up though. Third should be a given..our squad is larger and better than Hibs' so will cope better in mid to late season when injuries and suspensions kick in.

I thought McGinn made the least impact.

He took up a great position had Watkins been able to pull the ball back, but that was about it as I recall

2 hours ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Ferguson and McRorie struggled a bit last night I thought especially 20-70 mins.

Just a blip hopefully as they're a young midfield partnership but they'll face better midfields than st mirrens.

Close marking by St. Mirren was quite effective. Sometimes they persevere with the same tactics for too long. Battering against the same brick wall.

45 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

It's not even knowing best. It's a fucking fact of the future. Look at the evidence and stop dreaming. Cunts like you is why Milne got off with murder and why McInnes hasn't been chased out of town. 

cunts like me !! charming . It was'nt so long ago we finished it front of the huns so fuck you 

Just now, rocket_scientist said:

If you were from Aberdeen or if your daddy didn't fuck off and you did have a NE man in your life, you would understand that cunts is a generic catch-all and even a term of endearment. 

hmmm used in the right context maybe , don't think i said anything to be described as a cunt though , merely hoping for the best from my team who i believe are improving the season with a stronger squad 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

I currently think its deluded that we can do anything in the head to head versus rangers/celtic.

I certainly dont think its deluded that we can match them (and even better them as we currently are but keeping that up would be incredible) in the games against the other 9 teams.

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Rule of thumb hasnt changed.  If anything it’s reinforced given that both cheeks are capable of taking 3pts off the other.   Not more than 3 wins (9pts) off them at Xmas.  Not more than two wins (6pts) at the split.

Within that and just see where it takes you.

Theyll also inevitably be distracted by the possibility of a shorter Covid cut off.  That helps us.

That would be reasonable aye but doing well to keep pace so far. Fingers crossed they drop points this wknd

16 hours ago, Simosmashed my knee said:

McIness survives again, stop with the negative shit especially at home, go at them give them no time to settle

What was negative about it from the manager?

Exactly the same team as against County and I'd imagine, also tactically. I'd bet you were praising him and the team for their performance that game. 

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Your really should be directed at the players yesterday not the manager.

I've been a pretty big critic of Mcinnes but I've been happier watching this team of late. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thought St Mirren played well. A factor many people always seem to forget about, how the opposition play!

Obviously we struggled to control the midfield, with Ferguson and McCrorie not providing the foundation for the attacking players. Thought Considine struggled too. Hoban was excellent once again. Stopped an almost certain goal in the first half with a superb tackle. 

We kept going but nothing happened until the changes. McLennan looked sharp, and worked well down the right. Good win in the end, I don't think we were bad, just not good. 

39 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

What was negative about it from the manager?

Exactly the same team as against County and I'd imagine, also tactically. I'd bet you were praising him and the team for their performance that game. 

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Your really should be directed at the players yesterday not the manager.

I've been a pretty big critic of Mcinnes but I've been happier watching this team of late. 

As I have said before McIness done brilliantly when he first can in and steadied the club. Won a cup which again was great but since then he has stagnated. The last  few years have been poor, long ball football with no real success. I agree totally with you that performances have improved recently however the underlying fact is he will resort back to his defensive approach more often than not. The first game of the season was appalling we never crossed our half way line and we have been a tab lucky with some results, St Johnstone springs to mind. I firmly believe he has taken us as far as he can however I believe he will be safe for this season at least due to the inflated contract he is currently on. I hope to be proved wrong however mediocrity has firmly set in with the majority of the fans. Should we settle for 4th place, out of Europe in the qualifiers and hope not to draw the ugly sisters until the latter stages of the cup? DC has definitely backed him and things are improving however....... 

4 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

Thought St Mirren played well. A factor many people always seem to forget about, how the opposition play!

Obviously we struggled to control the midfield, with Ferguson and McCrorie not providing the foundation for the attacking players. Thought Considine struggled too. Hoban was excellent once again. Stopped an almost certain goal in the first half with a superb tackle. 

We kept going but nothing happened until the changes. McLennan looked sharp, and worked well down the right. Good win in the end, I don't think we were bad, just not good. 

yeah i was the same, St Mirren pressed us when we had the ball & defended well(Just not good Enough :)    ) if they play like that against teams at their level they maybe will stay up

actually thought McGinn's played ok in the last 2 games, dont expect him to manage a whole game now but thought hes done enough to merit a starting place

on to Hoban.....the guy is fucking good & if it wasna for him made of glass theres no chance he'd be here

1 hour ago, Zander1903 said:

yeah i was the same, St Mirren pressed us when we had the ball & defended well(Just not good Enough :)    ) if they play like that against teams at their level they maybe will stay up

actually thought McGinn's played ok in the last 2 games, dont expect him to manage a whole game now but thought hes done enough to merit a starting place

on to Hoban.....the guy is fucking good & if it wasna for him made of glass theres no chance he'd be here

He could/should be playing in a top half club in the EPL. I hope for him he gets that opportunity.....after he's played another 2 years with Aberdeen.

5 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Wright's performances have been inconsistent. He was poor last night. He has moments of brilliance and there is definitely a talented player there but he doesn't impose himself enough in matches. He also needs to get stuck in more. He barely sticks a foot in.

McGinn shouldn't be starting anymore. He looks unfit compared to the rest of the squad. Thankfully Kennedy is back after the break. Most likely McGinn's last season with us.

1 hour ago, shooftahmooftah said:

Watching that was retarding mate.   90+ 1 extra time winner a home game they should be hammering teams like St Mirren, Aberdeen don’t have it in them to win games each week.  With comfort. 

At least we’ve always got you to point things out for us though.

Miserable, criticising, moaning bastard.

Good evening.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, shooftahmooftah said:

Watching that was retarding mate.   90+ 1 extra time winner a home game they should be hammering teams like St Mirren, Aberdeen don’t have it in them to win games each week.  With comfort. 

We've won 6 in 8 in the league so far. 

Do Aberdeen have it in them to win every week? Nope... no team does.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Simosmashed my knee said:

As I have said before McIness done brilliantly when he first can in and steadied the club. Won a cup which again was great but since then he has stagnated. The last  few years have been poor, long ball football with no real success. I agree totally with you that performances have improved recently however the underlying fact is he will resort back to his defensive approach more often than not. The first game of the season was appalling we never crossed our half way line and we have been a tab lucky with some results, St Johnstone springs to mind. I firmly believe he has taken us as far as he can however I believe he will be safe for this season at least due to the inflated contract he is currently on. I hope to be proved wrong however mediocrity has firmly set in with the majority of the fans. Should we settle for 4th place, out of Europe in the qualifiers and hope not to draw the ugly sisters until the latter stages of the cup? DC has definitely backed him and things are improving however....... 

But that's not what you said though.

You singled out McInnes for being negative in the St. Mirren game and survived. When in actual fact he was anything but negative. Same team out that did do well against County and same tactics. Could it not be that as Dynamo points out that St. Mirren just played well on the day? That Goodwin had done his homework and matched up in formation and saw that closing us down in midfield might unsettle Ferguson and McCrorie? Friday night was anything bit negative from Mcinnes. 

I've not  been a fan of McInnes for about 2 years now as frankly the teams he was putting out were dull, boring and negative. Would gladly see him gone.But this team just now isn't that.

Your post was based on nothing more than a long standing prejudice against the manager. 

• Upvote 2