Dundee United 0 - 0 Aberdeem

34 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Huns and cellick are not great shakes this year and when we have a full squad I would expect to be challenging. Worst case scenario is comfortable 3rd 10-15 points clear of Hibs, celtic and huns have the worst squads in years quality wise, euro groups hopefully fuck up their confidence and a few well placed Covid outbreaks when facing us can see us close the gap on our them this year as I don’t see them have the squads to compete at all levels without dropping points this year

it wasn’t a surprise that it was a defender double that won the points for Der hun as Morelos is finished and Celtic are shite upfront without Forrest,Christie and Edouard 

Ok. Yesterday was a big chance to keep up with them and we couldn't take it. Hopefully back on track on Tuesday. I think we are good enough to keep up but celtic/rangers have dropped very little this season so far so its tough going.

Averaging 80 points so far is a title challenge. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Ok. Yesterday was a big chance to keep up with them and we couldn't take it. Hopefully back on track on Tuesday. I think we are good enough to keep up but celtic/rangers have dropped very little this season so far so its tough going.

Averaging 80 points so far is a title challenge. 

Agreed, hopefully start seeing them dropping points when the Europa groups start, we also know the huns fall to bits after Christmas so looking forward to that again, agreed it was 2 points dropped yesterday but created enough chances and the penalty we should have had, this is the best chance in years to do something with them keeping eyes on each other,Covid and Europe coupled with our biggest and strongest squad in ages

Too slow, too rigid going forward (which with Hayes and McLennan at WB is quite an achievement.)  And nowhere near ruthless enough.  Old Campaigners like Reynolds -and every team has a Reynolds - will take that every week from now till May.

if we persist with McLennan (and I think we should*) we need a nippy sweetie cunt instead of Wright.  

* haven’t seen enough of a Kennedy in the role to compare. Point is Maclennan is too good a player to be bit part.

Agree with others.  Can’t afford many more games without a goal scorer on the park albeit I don’t want to rush him back, something McInnes does sometimes do.  But I think The Hedges Wright thing will be shown up a bit without Watkins movement.  If we can get Cosgrove fit Watkins for Wright would seem the obvious try.  Again not seen enough of Edmondson to comment.

11 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

If the goal is to finish top 6, an away draw is fine.

If the goal is to get a European play off spot, an away draw is no disaster.

If the goal is to win the league, yesterday was a terrible result against a very poor football team.

Failing to beat a poor team managed by a man who appears to have literally nothing going for him is an embarrassment for any ambitious manager. It depends what the ambition of AFC and its very expensive manager actually is. Whatever it might be, it's an ambition that the fans agree with, otherwise there would be ire, anger, outrage or even protest.

After 25+ years of mediocrity at best, the expectations that we were accused of having that our own club told us were unrealistic have been replaced by zero expectations. Milne got what he wanted and fucked off. What he left behind needs to change, from the top down. The boardroom has changed but they may be powerless to make the biggest and most influential decision which is to sack McInnes, probably because they don't have enough money given how Milne stitched us up to buy time for himself. Third is the best case scenario this season and as I said after the first 8 games, which was only one game ago, we had overachieved in getting 75% of points and it could only go downhill from here. The descent started yesterday and until the club get a change of manager, forget about ever competing with the top two. 

Some Sunday morning sense comin atcha!

Whilst I don’t place the blame solely with the manager I agree with the general point.  Of your three targets too many players appear to consider #3 as an optional extra.  Certainly there seemed no concern in evidence from the players that a draw was a poor and damaging result via a vis #3.  They have to get it into their heads that players passing up easy chances in the first half just makes the second half all the harder.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

If the goal is to finish top 6, an away draw is fine.

If the goal is to get a European play off spot, an away draw is no disaster.

If the goal is to win the league, yesterday was a terrible result against a very poor football team.

Failing to beat a poor team managed by a man who appears to have literally nothing going for him is an embarrassment for any ambitious manager. It depends what the ambition of AFC and its very expensive manager actually is. Whatever it might be, it's an ambition that the fans agree with, otherwise there would be ire, anger, outrage or even protest.

After 25+ years of mediocrity at best, the expectations that we were accused of having that our own club told us were unrealistic have been replaced by zero expectations. Milne got what he wanted and fucked off. What he left behind needs to change, from the top down. The boardroom has changed but they may be powerless to make the biggest and most influential decision which is to sack McInnes, probably because they don't have enough money given how Milne stitched us up to buy time for himself. Third is the best case scenario this season and as I said after the first 8 games, which was only one game ago, we had overachieved in getting 75% of points and it could only go downhill from here. The descent started yesterday and until the club get a change of manager, forget about ever competing with the top two. 

I fully echo your disappointment min as yesterday was definitely two points dropped instead of a point gained, especially after seeing how poor celtic are again earlier in the day. In years gone by a point at Tannadice would be seen as a positive but not against their current mob who were beat by the blue toon last Saturday then scrambled over the line against non-league opposition during the week. 

Surely we will partly redeem ourselves against the cornershopmen on Tuesday but it is a must win against the filth to go somewhere to giving us restored and renewed hope, and to forget about just going for third place. Fuck that attitude and lack of ambition. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, rocket_scientist said:

They weren't my targets, they were examples of what the club's targets might be.

Actually, I didn't express even one word of disappointment in my post. All I did was to try to ask what the ambition for AFC actually is because I sure as fuck don't know. What I do know is that without having goals or a target that is specific enough, it becomes impossible to achieve beyond whatever the expectations actually are. Success rarely comes by accident and only happens with desire. If we don't want something, we won't get it.

Fair points raised?. Sorry for my misinterpretation. 

13 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

And Maclennan's first showing at Hampden was extremely promising. He can excel for Scotland but he's never been given the feeling that McInnes rates him and has started a paltry no. of games in the last few seasons (however many he's been here). Anything less than 40/50% of starts is the manager not supporting you at that age.

Meanwhile the youngsters have to sit on the bench or the stands and watch shit taking their place (Maynard, Tansey, Wilson and every other fucking wanker McInnes gave the nod to over them).

My biggest issue with Mclennan is that he is normally kept out the team by Kennedy. 

McLennan has a track record of scoring and assisting, Kennedy doesn't.

Kennedy is 25!!! People have asked how long we have to wait for Scott Wright who is 23. Well how long do we have to wait for Kennedy, especially seeing as he keeps being given way more starts than Mclennan. 

16 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

My biggest issue with Mclennan is that he is normally kept out the team by Kennedy. 

McLennan has a track record of scoring and assisting, Kennedy doesn't.

Kennedy is 25!!! People have asked how long we have to wait for Scott Wright who is 23. Well how long do we have to wait for Kennedy, especially seeing as he keeps being given way more starts than Mclennan. 

Another alternative might be to play McLennan right and Kennedy further forward with Hedges behind the striker, using Kennedy as a more purposeful alternative to Wright 

2 points dropped.

Only saw the highlights but listened to the game on the radio. And from what I could tell it was wave after wave of Aberdeen attack. So to my mind that game should have been out of sight. We lack a cutting edge that much is obvious. 

Wright needs to be more selfish with his play. Instead of passing wide when a shot could be on, try the shot, work the keeper. There may be a rebound for someone else to capitalise on.

Watkins isn't a striker, that much is obvious. If Mcinnes wants to play him every week in this formation, then either Wright or Hedges need to drop out. Give Edmondson a opportunity to show what he can do. Show the likes of me and few others that we're wrong about what we think we see or don't see in him. Cosgrove is going to be fit soon and will come back into the team so why not try Edmondson up top to see how Watkins, Hedges and/or Wright adapt to having a striker up top.

All the neat play up front counts for nothing if you don't put the ball in the back of the net and we are struggling massively on that front.

17 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

End of the day Mellons tactics worked & Mcinnes had no answer to them. 
If not for Lewis that could have been an utter disgrace of a result.

Watkins should never have seen the second half. 

Took off two of our more creative players in Wright & McLennan. Both of which were pretty decent other than Wrights shite it on goal yet again. 
Edmundson on for a totally non existent Watkins was first sub that should have been made for second half. Then if that failed to make breakthrough then maybe consider the other changes. 

That was brutal stuff. We could have played all day & not scored. 

penalty would have transformed game & Utd would have had to come out but we had nothing to scare them whilst they protected the clean sheet. 
Mcinnes had no idea other than wishful thinking/hope that something would happen & he had no idea how to best manufacture any change.

Mellon played for draw & hope for smash n grab win tactically & his tactics faired better than Mcinnes’s did.

So if it wasn't for Lewis it could've been a disgraceful result you say, surely then if it wasn't for their keeper United would've been on the end of a tanking.

No idea other than hope? The set up was spot on, if cunts lack the composure to stroke home one of the few sitters we had then there isn't much McInnes can do about that. We essentially controlled the game from start to finish, how you are able to equate that into Mellon schooling McInnes is beyond me, unless you think relying on sheer luck is a tactic. I don't. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Another goal famine !!!!!!!!! and against a team beaten by Peterhead Livingston this month and against a team  that could only put one past kelty  hearts .!!!!!!!!!!   St Johnston put 5 against Hamilton Hearts  put 6 against Dundee, right now I can’t see Aberdeen scoring one against a team of pensioners.     Cormack are you there.???????????   

• Downvote 1
5 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

Personally would prefer if we had ambitions beyond "keeping up with Hibs". Gads.

I'd expect us to gradually move clear of them over the course of the next few months.

That's if we can find our shooting boots to compliment what has been generally accepted as decent build up play.

Chance / open goal / sitter ? missed to put pressure on the Tims prior to their visit to Pittodrie.
Barely surprising though.

So comfortably in third? Cos if you think we can finish above either of the arse cheeks with the squad we have then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Despite Celtic being as shite as they have been for a decade. And yes, despite us having the best squad we have had for around 25 years. 

I agree we should move well ahead of Hibs. In theory. But yesterday was a match we should have won in theory. We didn't. And we don't tend to score many goals anyway. 3rd is our limit league wise until/unless we either get massive investment allowing us to buy players every window in the £3-5million price range. Or the arse cheeks fuck off to another league. 

Until then, the odd cup victory is the limit of our capabilities.

• Site Sponsor
1 hour ago, shooftahmooftah said:

Another goal famine !!!!!!!!! and against a team beaten by Peterhead Livingston this month and against a team  that could only put one past kelty  hearts .!!!!!!!!!!   St Johnston put 5 against Hamilton Hearts  put 6 against Dundee, right now I can’t see Aberdeen scoring one against a team of pensioners.     Cormack are you there.???????????   

Amazing how this cunt turns up like a bad smell when the team doesn’t win.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
59 minutes ago, Millertime said:

The players reactions should have made it obvious it was a penalty 

Players don't react like that enmasse if it isnt

A referee can’t give it based on players reactions if he didn’t see it.

That’s a daft argument 

It was shite we didn’t get it & it’s cost us two points but I’m giving the ref the benefit of the doubt having seen Sportscene. He was blocked at the split second the ball hit Shankland’s hand.

If we didn’t miss so many chances it wouldn’t be relevant 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

That’s a daft argument 

It was shite we didn’t get it & it’s cost us two points but I’m giving the ref the benefit of the doubt having seen Sportscene. He was blocked at the split second the ball hit Shankland’s hand.

Yous are all going on as if there is only one official officiating at games? There’s 4 bud, 2 linesmen and a fourth official. It’s not only the job of the referee but also his officiating team

or does the linesman run up and down the line with a flag for the hell of it?

42 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Yous are all going on as if there is only one official officiating at games? There’s 4 bud, 2 linesmen and a fourth official. It’s not only the job of the referee but also his officiating team

or does the linesman run up and down the line with a flag for the hell of it?

I’ve seen linesman constantly raise their flag straight up and then wait for the referee to point which direction. It’s clear that they are not making the call and waiting for the ref.

That must be an instruction

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

That’s a daft argument 

You make a fair point on that one incident, however it wasn’t his only failing. There was an incident where he had to jump and dummy the ball, getting in the way of the Aberdeen players. So these point to numerous points for poor positioning.

Alan Muir also gave Utd lots of soft decisions,  helping them out a number of times, where Aberdeen didn’t get the same benefits.

we should have won, but I don’t believe the ref was fair to both sides

15 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

I’ve seen linesman constantly raise their flag straight up and then wait for the referee to point which direction. It’s clear that they are not making the call and waiting for the ref.

That must be an instruction

Aye that's annoying as fuck that they've started doing that.  What's the point in them being there if they're not going to have any conviction in their calls? 

2 hours ago, Dom Sullivan said:

Amazing how this cunt turns up like a bad smell when the team doesn’t win.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First Dominic wash your foul mouth out preferably with acid.  2nd while your in the Vatican get the pope to deliver you if he knows how to. But I guess he couldn’t as he needs delivering as well.   3 rd.  I can turn up when and how I want to if they win or lose.  Your problem is you need to face facts and take a look at the goals scored so far not many.     4 th GTF. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3
13 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Wright has great talent.  We've seen glimpses of that on many occasions.  However he has absolutely no heart and no balls. It's a massive pity.

Wright in his head believes he's made it, doesn't think he has to try now, he's a player but needs brought down to earth. He's his own worst enemy, doesn't buck up will be a jobber in the championship and skint at 30.

1 hour ago, afc1903mad said:

You make a fair point on that one incident, however it wasn’t his only failing. There was an incident where he had to jump and dummy the ball, getting in the way of the Aberdeen players. So these point to numerous points for poor positioning.

Alan Muir also gave Utd lots of soft decisions,  helping them out a number of times, where Aberdeen didn’t get the same benefits.

we should have won, but I don’t believe the ref was fair to both sides

Rangers would have got that  penalty.

• Upvote 1