Jim McLean

Just now, sooth_stander said:

Died today.

Probably only Fergie stands above him the the pantheon of great Scottish managers, taking a tin pot club to the brink of European greatness.

RIP

Definitely near the top, Stein, Waddell and Ferguson won European trophies with Scottish clubs however the Glasgow clubs had huge advantages over the other Scottish clubs and Fergie built on the good work of McLeod and McNeil.

McLean took over Dundee United when they were the wee team in Dundee with very little success.

A bully and a tyrant however one of the greatest managers Scotland has ever produced.

Guest milne_afc
1 minute ago, NEM said:

Jim probably gained bonus points for not covering up child abuse 

I wouldn’t hold that against anyone.

Different eras, so who are we to judge?

I’d gladly rattle the holes off the youth team for a couple of Group Stage games in a few years time.

28 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Died today.

Probably only Fergie stands above him in the pantheon of great Scottish managers, taking a tin pot club to the brink of European greatness. In another era, may have won more than just the one league title.

RIP

Yeah RIP Jim. Looks like Fergie beat you one final time

Aye,some guy.What he acheived with the resources he had at Utd,was almost(but not quite) on a par with what Fergie acheived with us IMO.One of my earliest memories of Utd that caught my attention, was a win at Parkhead in the late 70s. They won 3 -0.Each goal was 'celebrated' by a hand shake each time,and back to re-start the game.It was the lack of surprise they were winning that caught my attn,....like it was almost expected. Possible some of them had that mentality in them to start with,or more likely IMO,had it instilled/augmented by MacLean.

Great manager,great times.

Purely on the grounds that Stein and Waddell also won European trophies as well as the greatest manager of all time, I'd have McLean 4th in the all time list of Scottish managers. 

His longevity in the role was remarkable in itself. That he managed to take the DABs to a league championship, using a grand total of 14 players all season, was astonishing. 

RIP to a true legend

That Dundee it'd side had names like Holt, Kirkwood, Beaumont, Redford, Beedie, Clark, 

None of them set the Heather on fire but along with Hegarty, Narey. Gough. Malpas, Bannon, Sturrock   Thomson, Dodds. Ncinally, Bowman, that side certainly put the shitters up every side they met in Europe. 

I'm sure there was a run is seasons in the 80s when Dundee utd reached at least the last 8 in Europe 

6 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

That Dundee it'd side had names like Holt, Kirkwood, Beaumont, Redford, Beedie, Clark, 

None of them set the Heather on fire but along with Hegarty, Narey. Gough. Malpas, Bannon, Sturrock   Thomson, Dodds. Ncinally, Bowman, that side certainly put the shitters up every side they met in Europe. 

I'm sure there was a run is seasons in the 80s when Dundee utd reached at least the last 8 in Europe 

QF in the UEFA cup in 82 and 83, final in 87 and EC SF 84.

What great manager and outspoken guy

Remarkable what he did at UTD

Dedicated to UTD  his players feared him he took no shit off them. Unlike today's pussy managers

Even went around the ground in the close season fixing up the stadium the club meant so much to him

I remember the night of the famous  BBC interview  when he said if you think I am going to answer a question like that you can fuck off then he assaulted  the reporter what a guy

Respect Jim RIP

4 minutes ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

What great manager and outspoken guy

Remarkable what he did at UTD

Dedicated to UTD  his players feared him he took no shit off them. Unlike today's pussy managers

Even went around the ground in the close season fixing up the stadium the club meant so much to him

I remember the night of the famous  BBC interview  when he said if you think I am going to answer a question like that you can fuck off then he assaulted  the reporter what a guy

Respect Jim RIP

Think his wife(Doris?)also did the wages. Amazing seeing a club like that stuffing the Old Firm and heavyweights of Europe

There definitely was a hint of it, it was common knowledge that referees was looked after by Italian clubs when they visited their cities.

I also remember another dodgy game against Radnicki Nis in the 81-82 QF game when the referee came from just across the border and awarded a ropey penalty kick to get the Serb team through.

Just now, donswin1983 said:

Was there not a question of some skullduggery in the away leg of the EC semi v Roma?

Guest milne_afc
20 minutes ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

Respect Jim RIP

Was Boxing Day, funnily enough.