Steven Gunn- Football Operations Manager.

3 minutes ago, minijc said:

Evident more than ever that this clown has to go, 3 failed managers under his 'watch' a huge part of a bigger problem, hopefully Cormack realises this.

The telling thing for me was after Hibs 6-0, Cormack said, he'll do what it takes to fix things. Now, I was more than happy to see us targetting quality players, sometimes, maybe setting the bar a bit too high, but looking at the transfers, both in and out, you have to see we've been left with a bit of egg on our face. Who's to blame for that? Who sanctioned Rama leaving? Robson said we couldn't stand in his way with his family commitments, the opportunity etc. But we're the ones who have been caught with our pants down. Sure DC aint amused as he tweeted 'expect 2 big signings' and we got Gartenmann - on loan.

Is Dave sitting there thinking, you guys are making an arse of me, yet again?

11 minutes ago, minijc said:

Evident more than ever that this clown has to go, 3 failed managers under his 'watch' a huge part of a bigger problem, hopefully Cormack realises this.

Agree.

Cormack has to act sooner rather than later, otherwise any good will he has left will evaporate. 

This site could get extremely toxic in 2 or 3 games time.

DC will have to put his head above the parapet at some stage, and make some seriously tough decisions. 

The whole structure is all wrong.

Ps what is Burrows doing if he is not highlighting same to Cormack?

11 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

The telling thing for me was after Hibs 6-0, Cormack said, he'll do what it takes to fix things. Now, I was more than happy to see us targetting quality players, sometimes, maybe setting the bar a bit too high, but looking at the transfers, both in and out, you have to see we've been left with a bit of egg on our face. Who's to blame for that? Who sanctioned Rama leaving? Robson said we couldn't stand in his way with his family commitments, the opportunity etc. But we're the ones who have been caught with our pants down. Sure DC aint amused as he tweeted 'expect 2 big signings' and we got Gartenmann - on loan.

Is Dave sitting there thinking, you guys are making an arse of me, yet again?

Cormack can only blame himself. He employed the cunt. 

4 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Agree.

Cormack has to act sooner rather than later, otherwise any good will he has left will evaporate. 

This site could get extremely toxic in 2 or 3 games time.

DC will have to put his head above the parapet at some stage, and make some seriously tough decisions. 

The whole structure is all wrong.

Ps what is Burrows doing if he is not highlighting same to Cormack?

I don't think this site will get any more toxic in 2 or 3 games time, than it is just now. The 3 or so folk on here who are still defending Robson will eventually realise they are wrong. No shame in that whatsoever.

Apathy will just set in.

Anger replaced by apathy

1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

I don't think this site will get any more toxic in 2 or 3 games time, than it is just now.

Apathy will just set in.

Anger replaced by apathy

Yer probably right min.

If we move to apathy then the capacity for the new stadium, if ever built, can be radically reduced thus reducing the potential costs as a consequence. 

That might be DC's cunning plan all along. 

23 minutes ago, minijc said:

I mentioned similar in the past min and was shot down by some on here for having the audacity to question why the need for and advantages of a Football Operations Manager, DoF, Director of Football Strategy, or a Football Consultant. 

Results and performances of this season, as well as those immediately prior to this current season, echoes my sentiments substantially.

There's too much, and needless, interference and bureaucracy when employing folk in these truly pointless positions and that equates to the poor product on display on the pitch.

Managers have minimal or no input in transfers when a club employ these fucking imposters and have to carry the can when things go wrong. Managers should always be the only person involved in transfers, once his recruitment budget is known.

11 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Managers should always be the only person involved in transfers, once his recruitment budget is known.

I don’t agree with that at all. Someone should be overseeing the recruitment and signings aided with the manager at the time. 

Do we still have a footballing philosophy? 

I’d question if we do and if not why not? We were told we would try and play an attractive brand to entertain the crowd. We literally couldn’t be further away from that. We have also signed a number of CB’s for example that can’t pass a ball. That makes zero sense and I don’t get that at all if that is still our philosophy. We have also appointed 3 completely different managers in terms of style of play. It should be seamless and it’s why we should have someone handling this side of the club so if a manager or personnel leave we have a shortlist to replace them and nothing changes. It feels like a complete scattergun approach at this moment in time. 

The above philosophy was in place 4 or 5 years ago now. I expected things to be a little bump while the above was implemented but we seem 4/5 years down the line and it still hasn’t been implemented properly?

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, slippers said:

I don’t agree with that at all. Someone should be overseeing the recruitment and signings aided with the manager at the time. 

Do we still have a footballing philosophy? 

I’d question if we do and if not why not? We were told we would try and play an attractive brand to entertain the crowd. We literally couldn’t be further away from that. We have also signed a number of CB’s for example that can’t pass a ball. That makes zero sense and I don’t get that at all if that is still our philosophy. We have also appointed 3 completely different managers in terms of style of play. It should be seamless and it’s why we should have someone handling this side of the club so if a manager or personnel leave we have a shortlist to replace them and nothing changes. It feels like a complete scattergun approach at this moment in time. 

The above philosophy was in place 4 or 5 years ago now. I expected things to be a little bump while the above was implemented but we seem 4/5 years down the line and it still hasn’t been implemented properly?

Exactly min. The allegedly philosophy of attractive, attacking football that we've been promised over recent years has been purely unsubstantiated words and spin in order to keep our supporters on side with the club. 

However, needless meddling behind the scenes in tasks that should solely be undertaken by a manager has contributed to the position we find ourselves in, as it has done with other clubs.

Thankfully we still have our unique identity but if things continue to go in the direction they are at present, that'll be called into question as well. 

6 minutes ago, Proud Dandy said:

Massive week for Gunner, hope he got the passport numbers all correct, visas are issued where necessary and everything goes smoothly with the hotel. 

David Johnston 👍 and Angela Gordon👍 managed to do the needful seamlessly before, so I would like to think Steven Gunn has the expertise to carry out the above tasks without any difficulty min.

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

I don't think this site will get any more toxic in 2 or 3 games time, than it is just now. The 3 or so folk on here who are still defending Robson will eventually realise they are wrong. No shame in that whatsoever.

Apathy will just set in.

Anger replaced by apathy

You not think there's plenty others on here that don't post for fear of being slaughtered by the likes of you and the '3 or so folk' who regularly call for Robson's head every waking hour of the day?

Many have only just recently, and I mean, after Hearts, started to have some concerns. It was and still is, far too early to knee jerk and make a hugely pivotal decision on the manager's position. After next Sunday, we'll have a much better 'sample size' as you guys liked to refer to, of not jsut results, but the manner in which he either addresses our failings, or decides to ignore them.

Personally, I don't think he's that sort of stubborn character that will not try to adapt. Better to admit your model is wrong at this moment in time, rever to a more traditional system of play and fight to live another day. We need results, we need confidence. After Jan when we hopefully have more midfielders in the door, could he look to this currenyt system. But for now, we all kinda agree it's just not happening.

14 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

You not think there's plenty others on here that don't post for fear of being slaughtered by the likes of you and the '3 or so folk' who regularly call for Robson's head every waking hour of the day?

Many have only just recently, and I mean, after Hearts, started to have some concerns. It was and still is, far too early to knee jerk and make a hugely pivotal decision on the manager's position. After next Sunday, we'll have a much better 'sample size' as you guys liked to refer to, of not jsut results, but the manner in which he either addresses our failings, or decides to ignore them.

Personally, I don't think he's that sort of stubborn character that will not try to adapt. Better to admit your model is wrong at this moment in time, rever to a more traditional system of play and fight to live another day. We need results, we need confidence. After Jan when we hopefully have more midfielders in the door, could he look to this currenyt system. But for now, we all kinda agree it's just not happening.

Come on now, even you must of had even a slight doubt before the hearts game. There is no way you watched us against Livi, st mirren or Hibs and didnt have a slight concern. 

Gunn, Garner and Milne on the FMB are very much the problem.

Cormack needs to surround himself with knowledgeable football people. Burrows is that but what pedigree do GG & M have ? Fuck all. Milne appointed 1 competent manager out of about 10 and fuck knows what G & G bring to the party ?

We all said this needed to change with the arrival of Burrows and with any luck it will. Never a dull Dons moment is there ?

17 minutes ago, slippers said:

Come on now, even you must of had even a slight doubt before the hearts game. There is no way you watched us against Livi, st mirren or Hibs and didnt have a slight concern. 

I've said before, and Mini seems to be hellbent on trying to pin this on me, that I was waiting to see if the issues that had presented themselves, were due to some other external factor, such as tiredness, lack of intergation, preparation, new tactics etc.

Hearts was in my opinion, the first game where there were no reasons for playing like we did. So now the waters have broken so to speak, it's now a lot easier to determine where the problems are. Saturday would suggest the manager, and I'm happy enough to admit that might be the case, indeed, in all liklihood, is. But I'm prepared, at this early stage of proceedings, to see if he addresses those issues. I don't think he's lost the ability to win games. But a large part of what I'm looking for in a manager is problem solving. He's got a couple of games now to show he understands that sticking relentlessly to a theme, might not be the best option open to him.

Of course Frankfurt presents its own set of problems and to a degree, there's hopefully no chance he sets the team up like he has of late. That could in a backwards sense, work in his favour and he may find that reverting to the counter attacking team, is best right now.

1 hour ago, Tinyweelad said:

I think you are giving me far too much credit, if that’s what you think. I’m not here on an ego trip, or think my opinion holds ANY weight whatsoever.  And I doubt anyone on here “fears” retribution from me.

All I’m saying is, in my limited knowledge of football, I recognise shite when I see it. And by fuck we are shite. And all Neil McCann has done is professionally validate what I can see.

There are some among us who are, or have been, in and around football often and long enough to be able to understand when things aren't right.

The Neil McCann analysis is nothing new to those of us who've been watching this team although I for one am pleased that an articulate football person has finally made it plain for all to see in the "mass media".

Setting up as a counter-attacking team with a blistering transition from defence to attack can be a great tactic. But you need to have very good defenders, very disciplined midfielders, and forwards who will win 75% of long balls and hold the ball up.

Right now we have defenders who are making individual mistakes due to the concentration needed to absorb the kind of pressure we are inviting (Devlin, Jensen, Rubezic, McDonald), midfielders whose passing stats are well below average (all of them) and forwards whose best attributes are playing off the shoulder (Miovski) or going toe to toe (Duk).  These are not the attributes of a team that should be playing long ball.

None of these players are bad players. They're just not suited to the system we're playing. None of them. And this is 100% down to the coaching.  I am very patient with managers at our club, but this is the earliest I have ever turned. He just isn't up to it. He needs to show he can change very quickly and so do those making the decisions higher up.

• Upvote 7
12 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

There are some among us who are, or have been, in and around football often and long enough to be able to understand when things aren't right.

The Neil McCann analysis is nothing new to those of us who've been watching this team although I for one am pleased that an articulate football person has finally made it plain for all to see in the "mass media".

Setting up as a counter-attacking team with a blistering transition from defence to attack can be a great tactic. But you need to have very good defenders, very disciplined midfielders, and forwards who will win 75% of long balls and hold the ball up.

Right now we have defenders who are making individual mistakes due to the concentration needed to absorb the kind of pressure we are inviting (Devlin, Jensen, Rubezic, McDonald), midfielders whose passing stats are well below average (all of them) and forwards whose best attributes are playing off the shoulder (Miovski) or going toe to toe (Duk).  These are not the attributes of a team that should be playing long ball.

None of these players are bad players. They're just not suited to the system we're playing. None of them. And this is 100% down to the coaching.  I am very patient with managers at our club, but this is the earliest I have ever turned. He just isn't up to it. He needs to show he can change very quickly and so do those making the decisions higher up.

Can you imagine how fatigued we will be… The only chance we have against county is if Barry completely changes his tactics. If we go with the same as Hibs and Hearts we have zero chance of a win. I don’t see him changing. I look forward to county going with a front 3 on Sunday. 

39 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

All very valid points. Every man and his dog would admit that it's not been ideal. However, it started off ok-ish, and Charlton had me thinking, this could be a great season. I'm sure we all had that feeling about it. Which was why Livi was a bit of an earth-shuddering game. I kinda got why he did what he did, but ultimately, it was a deviation from how he had gone about the pre-season. You cannot deny the pitch was absolute horseshit, which didn't help.

Celtic - a game that got away from us and certainly shot ourselves in the foot. Signs that the formation wasn't working when defending at least.

Stirling - hard to lose any sleep over that. We did what we needed to. Angus looked miles off it.

St Mirren bookended by Hacken games - I think Paisely was brutal defending at times, but the fight was there and players were getting fired in. Hacken away - spells in 2nd half of where we can be if we put it all into practice. Home game - naive is what I think I'd call the way we went about it. Even if Miovski had equalised, we were porous in defence.

Hibs - more attempts at the current formation - didn't feel like we were capable of scoring and hence, with shit defending, was no real surprise. The side looked a bit bereft of desire and hunger.

Hearts - well, think we've all had our say on it, including Mr McCann. Throw in players giving a 4 or 5, and with a Hearts team with the wind behind them, it was not a thing of beauty.

So agree with what you're saying, and yes, if it doesn't improve, like in a hurry, the pressure will mount and the Board will be forced to back him or sack him.

My question to others though. Say in a parallel universe, we got a draw against Frankfurt, beat County at home, then in cup.... what would the reaction be from the Bazza Oot brigade? If he changes the formation and the players react accordingly? What then? Hypothetical of course - we could end up losing all 3!

21 minutes ago, slippers said:

Can you imagine how fatigued we will be… The only chance we have against county is if Barry completely changes his tactics. If we go with the same as Hibs and Hearts we have zero chance of a win. I don’t see him changing. I look forward to county going with a front 3 on Sunday. 

He's enough players to almost play a completely different starting 11.

Doohan
Dadia - McDonald - Ruby - McKenzie
 Duncan - Barron - Polvara - Hayes
           Sokler         Pape

Fuckin worst that can happen?

Anyone defending Robson needs to watch the highlights and the breakdown of our tactics to see how bad it is, Roos gets the ball on numerous occasions, there are 5 easy passes in front of him of which none of the 5 players are even looking to take the ball off the keeper because it is going one place - over the heeds of every single Aberdeen player. Honking tactics and the fact it did not change the whole of the game is even worse. In fact, its been like that since Livi away, long balls against 6 foot plus defenders the whole game. Awfull.

The longer we persevere with Robson, the harder it will be to save the season.

5 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

He's enough players to almost play a completely different starting 11.

Doohan
Dadia - McDonald - Ruby - McKenzie
 Duncan - Barron - Polvara - Hayes
           Sokler         Pape

Fuckin worst that can happen?

That side week in week out gets us relegated.

Are you aright?

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Mouzer said:

That side week in week out gets us relegated.

Are you aright?

The side we're playing right now gets us relegated. You not seen our results?

What I was replying to was fatigue - well, he has options. If these guys aren't good enough, why did he sign Dadia, Doohan, Ruby, Sokler, Pape and extend Polvara's contract?

Those players in the right formation, are more than capable of beating County on our own pitch.

12 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

The side we're playing right now gets us relegated. You not seen our results?

What I was replying to was fatigue - well, he has options. If these guys aren't good enough, why did he sign Dadia, Doohan, Ruby, Sokler, Pape and extend Polvara's contract?

Those players in the right formation, are more than capable of beating County on our own pitch.

I would argue the managers tactics are the issue. Dont get me wrong, some of the signings are not as good as the players they have replaced but with a good manager, Saturdays team dont get relegated.

I've rattled off on here before the credentials for a DOF, and it certainly isn't Gunnar.

I believe that the playing squad should have the approval of the DOF and head coach, scouts, ( do they still exist) and the recruitment director, should all meet with the coach DOF, put forward reports on players that have been identified, thes should then be for the DOF and head coach to decide on who is worth following up, 

Yes there could be a difference of opinion and in that case I would let the most experienced of the two have the final say.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Mouzer said:

I would argue the managers tactics are the issue. Dont get me wrong, some of the signings are not as good as the players they have replaced but with a good manager, Saturdays team dont get relegated.

I'm not suggesting with a weeks rest and a change of formation/tactics, that you wouldn't play our strongest team. But if they are fooked from Germany exploits, then that team I showed is an option - one he'd never make, but it does show you that we have a squad, a decent enough one at that. I'd actually like to see the likes of Barron and Polvara together and Sokler start.

4 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Exactly min. The allegedly philosophy of attractive, attacking football that we've been promised over recent years has been purely unsubstantiated words and spin in order to keep our supporters on side with the club. 

Here it is

O U R F O O T B A L L P H I L O S O P H Y
UNDERPINNING OUR AIM TO BE A UEFA TOP 100 CLUB, COMPETING AND WINNING REGULARLY IN ALL COMPETITIONS, SITS OUR FOOTBALL PHILOSOPHY - PLAYING AN EXCITING BRAND OF
FOOTBALL BUILT AROUND A CORE OF HOMEGROWN TALENT

Because there are teams out there who aim to be playing a boring brand of football.

It's just word salad.