Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

Previously not been in the Mcinnes out camp but do think we've become stale under him and he's run out of ideas. Last season I had as a bit of a transition so gave him the benefit of the doubt to turn things around but he looks to have fucked it spectacularly with substandard signings and the same dire style of play as last season. Honestly can't believe he hasn't brought in a proper playmaker as everyone can see that hoofing it up to 20p heed when he has no runners around him just isn't going to work

• Upvote 1

We are definitely short on confidence just now hence the safe sideways passes and punts up the pitch. Problem is other teams can clearly see that too and that will give them more confidence, meaning the games that would have been considered pretty easy now become more difficult.

IMO far too early in the season to contemplate punting the manager. I would like to think it’s not a direct order from him to pass it sideways for 5 mins then humph it up the park. Benefit of the doubt time but I would like to think he will be telling them to be more adventurous, take more chances, support the striker(s) and even if it doesn’t immediately come off not to retreat back to always taking the safe option.

We shall see.

And there’s the mention of Leicester, took longer than I thought it would.

Love how all you need is ambition and self-belief to win the league, mental that nobody out with the old firm has done it for so long ‍♂

Just a thought, nobody outwith the old firm has had the ambition and self-belief since we last won the league.

And on the Leicester point, they didn't have the better team or the bigger budget, what do you think got them over the line?

The debate rages on...

I agree that the league placings (last season excepted) have all been as we should expect, given his resources and budget. Four cup finals in his time is also a respectable return and, given that the three defeats were all to Celtic, on paper we can't grumble. However, it is the nature of many of the defeats that rightly grates. It's a travesty that a very ordinary Celtic side (one considerably weaker than under Strachan and even some of Lennon's previous sides) have won a treble treble, with us not even laying a glove on them... and worst of all, not even set up to TRY to!

I also think, when you look at the European exits over the years, Sociedad and Burnley excepted, all of those ties were winnable, against unspectacular opposition. We should have won at least one of them and when you consider Linfield are 180mins away from the group stages, it makes his failure in this regard even more galling.

Overall, I think he should be thanked for his first five years in charge, but he seems like a man devoid of ideas now, still dining out on a fine first few seasons. Where we go from here I'm not sure, but while I'm not a gambling man, I'll say this; it won't be up.

• Upvote 1

He hasn't replied to this because it's a good point.

Asks for reasoned debate but ignores the good points.

He's a cunt.

I don't read every single post on here, perhaps you have the time and lack of job/life to do so but I don't. 

I agree we should have another cup by now but we haven't been able to do it. Not sure why you think its a "good point" when its so glaringly obvious. Playing the man and not the post though, just like some of the other zoomers on here.

Big Hat Logan proving what an utterly insipid cunt he is again.

Talking of zoomers, here's this non-entity. Nothing to bring to the debate other than having a greet about me, as usual.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The debate rages on...

Overall, I think he should be thanked for his first five years in charge, but he seems like a man devoid of ideas now, still dining out on a fine first few seasons. Where we go from here I'm not sure, but while I'm not a gambling man, I'll say this; it won't be up.

He was fortunate that he inherited a number of good players from the team that Brown built up. They were the foundations of his early success. Over the last few seasons his acquisitions have been poor, with perhaps Mclean being his only success.

• Downvote 1

Where do the expectations that we should be winning a trophy every few years come from? outside of the Fergie years, we've never been in a position where we were winning regularly.  It's all very well WANTING us to win something every few years, but to expect it? Seems daft considering our history outside of those 8-10 years. 

The biggest failing of McInnes, results wise, was not qualifying for the Europa League group stages. Even worse is that we never made it to the play off stages.  We've had some tough ties, Burnley (they ended up looking beatable) and Real Sociedad (probably the best side we've played in Europe in McInnes era) but Maribor were there for the taking, as were Rijeka and Almaty Karrimor. 

If we're going to judge McInnes, it shouldn't be on trophies, it should be on performances and tactics. Particularly against better sides. He always has us playing like a lower division side trying to get a point off a top division side. We occasionally get lucky and win games or get a draw, but 9/10 we're going to end up on the losing side. 

Perhaps if we'd played to our strengths in the European games and against Celtic/Rangers domestically he might have been talked about as a "successful Aberdeen manager" but the history books will show that he won the one trophy (we're winning fuck all this year if we continue the decline) and capitulated against Celtic in every other cup game. 

Where do the expectations that we should be winning a trophy every few years come from? outside of the Fergie years, we've never been in a position where we were winning regularly. It's all very well WANTING us to win something every few years, but to expect it? Seems daft considering our history outside of those 8-10 years.

The biggest failing of McInnes, results wise, was not qualifying for the Europa League group stages. Even worse is that we never made it to the play off stages. We've had some tough ties, Burnley (they ended up looking beatable) and Real Sociedad (probably the best side we've played in Europe in McInnes era) but Maribor were there for the taking, as were Rijeka and Almaty Karrimor.

If we're going to judge McInnes, it shouldn't be on trophies, it should be on performances and tactics. Particularly against better sides. He always has us playing like a lower division side trying to get a point off a top division side. We occasionally get lucky and win games or get a draw, but 9/10 we're going to end up on the losing side.

Perhaps if we'd played to our strengths in the European games and against Celtic/Rangers domestically he might have been talked about as a "successful Aberdeen manager" but the history books will show that he won the one trophy (we're winning fuck all this year if we continue the decline) and capitulated against Celtic in every other cup game.

Correct. We don’t have a massive budget, everyone accepts that. What we do have is good young players and all anyone is wanting to see is for us to have a fucking go - clearly without being fucking reckless.

If we get beat fans will accept that. Hopefully he has read this thread and realises folk will be behind him and the team 100% if we actually attempt to win.

It’s football not Rugby.

• Upvote 1

He was fortunate that he inherited a number of good players from the team that Brown built up. They were the foundations of his early success. Over the last few seasons his acquisitions have been poor, with perhaps Mclean being his only success.

That’s being very selective at best as presumably you are either forgetting or ignoring Lewis, Ferguson and cosgrove as it is difficult not to consider them all successes. Add in loans for Christie, Maddison, Lowe. Bryson is another that once properly match fit should do well for us given his pedigree but even removing him gives him exactly the same type of record on signings as every other manager; some great, some average and some terrible.

As for inheriting good players, he inherited a side that had been relegation threatened for the previous 3-4 years, perennial bottom 6 dwellers devoid of team spirit and incapable of putting consecutive decent performances together. His early success was achieved by bringing in the likes of robson, binning some of the many duds we had (sorry Daz) and installing a proper team spirit and work ethic sadly lacking before.

He absolutely has his faults but no point in being disingenuous about things.

• Upvote 3

I don't read every single post on here, perhaps you have the time and lack of job/life to do so but I don't.

I agree we should have another cup by now but we haven't been able to do it. Not sure why you think its a "good point" when its so glaringly obvious. Playing the man and not the post though, just like some of the other zoomers on here.

Talking of zoomers, here's this non-entity. Nothing to bring to the debate other than having a greet about me, as usual.

So it's glaringly obvious that we should have had another cup but then you asked what a new manager could do what we aren't doing already?

Even the one trophy McInnes did win is marred by underachievement.  Papped out of the proper cup by St Johnstone and pipped to second by fucking Motherwell.  Then he needed penalties to beat a shite Inverness team.

Wonder how many other managers would have fucked up a free hit at the double?

• Downvote 2
Guest the shepherd

Hysterical nonsense as usual.

What BWG says is not hysterical nor nonsense. Considering that we won the first available domestic trophy under Derek McInnes in his first full season, and did it so by not conceding any goals, we are right to have expected more in terms of trophy wins and further progression in Europe. The foundations were laid to embark in a very successful period for Aberdeen but through various reasons we are were we are, having only won just one trophy under our current manager. Its simply not good enough, and not wrong to have expected more, considering the personnel we have had playing for us over the last 6 years and more.

If they don't win their next 3 league games then get knocked out of the league cup by hearts. Then cove Rangers knock them out of the Scottish cup. Will Mcinnes resign along with Milne and cormack. Right now the only Vision coming out of pittodrie is looking down at their next abode the championship as per past performances, they don't have anyone who can put the ball in the back of the net , and a manager who's plan is to hoof the ball up the park.

What BWG says is not hysterical nor nonsense. Considering that we won the first available domestic trophy under Derek McInnes in his first full season, and did it so by not conceding any goals, we are right to have expected more in terms of trophy wins and further progression in Europe. The foundations were laid to embark in a very successful period for Aberdeen but through various reasons we are were we are, having only won just one trophy under our current manager. Its simply not good enough, and not wrong to have expected more, considering the personnel we have had playing for us over the last 6 years and more.

Of course it's nonsense, it was never a "free hit at the double".

As for the rest of the post, did you honestly think we were going to start hoovering up trophies after winning the league cup on penalties? Seems you have some unrealistic expectations? 

Guest the shepherd

Of course it's nonsense, it was never a "free hit at the double".

As for the rest of the post, did you honestly think we were going to start hoovering up trophies after winning the league cup on penalties? Seems you have some unrealistic expectations?

Going by some of the football we played, especially in 2016/17, it was very reasonable and realistic to expect more trophies.

That’s being very selective at best as presumably you are either forgetting or ignoring Lewis, Ferguson and cosgrove as it is difficult not to consider them all successes. Add in loans for Christie, Maddison, Lowe. Bryson is another that once properly match fit should do well for us given his pedigree but even removing him gives him exactly the same type of record on signings as every other manager; some great, some average and some terrible.

As for inheriting good players, he inherited a side that had been relegation threatened for the previous 3-4 years, perennial bottom 6 dwellers devoid of team spirit and incapable of putting consecutive decent performances together. His early success was achieved by bringing in the likes of robson, binning some of the many duds we had (sorry Daz) and installing a proper team spirit and work ethic sadly lacking before.

He absolutely has his faults but no point in being disingenuous about things.

Fair point, but he has picked up a number of duds himself. And I'm not convinced that bringing Ash Taylor back is a good move.

Not to bringing anything to the "debate"?
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1