Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

29 minutes ago, Millertime said:

What do you mean by "safe" league position, 3rd or 4th?

Surely when wages come into play you need to factor in tbat players would rather be in Glasgow or Edinburgh so we need to pay more to get them to move to Aberdeen?

Its not a dig, just a genuine thought 

I was meaning 5/6th he would bring mid table safety to a Motherwell type team, he has brought security to us however we need to progress and he hit his ceiling a couple of years back.  Ideally, we need to move forward sign young hungry players and sign them for nothing and get a decent sell on fee whilst playing  decent attacking football. I firmly believe that  is the model DC has planned however I do not think McIness is the man to take us to that level. 

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

He'd be an ok appointment.

I'd be surprised if he moved to Scotland as he and his wife suffered from mental health issues in the past. Glasgow, the old firm and mental health. Ouch.

Doubtful a really big English club would be interested in him without some European experience. Celtic will give him that to add to his CV. 

I don't think he will be in Glasgow too long. He'll be given 2 full seasons to get Celtic back as champions with a free pass if he doesn't. 3rd season and it's either champions or the sack.

However if he does get Celtic the SPL title quickly (and does reasonably well in Europe) then mid table EPL clubs will be making him offers

1 hour ago, thedandydon said:

I think we all had bigger expectations with Edmondson. On paper it seemed like we were getting a highly rated youngster but despite a bright start never really made much of an impression. Main is just your average journeyman forward. Can bang in the odd goal but has no consistency, doesn’t make things happen or hold up play in the final third which is required with Derek’s 1 up front policy. Cosgrove is either red hot or stone cold, there’s no middle ground it seems. Sadly it’s the latter that’s got the jersey at the moment. Watkins definitely seemed to suit our style of play and brought the midfield into play. Hedges and Wright looked handy and Ferguson was much more influential. I’m guessing he won’t be back though. This leaves the divisive Anderson who has yet to prove he has what it takes at this level. All in all there’s little to have opposition defences too concerned.

Anderson proved at Ayr he wasn't good enough even for that level.

1 hour ago, The Gee Man said:

Is there a striker coach who could be brought in on short term to be a different voice to Cosgrove to help him get over this drought he is in! A Shearer (Duncan) say??

No

Cosgrove relies on service to be of any use. He's a finisher, nothing more (His height lets him win a few headers when Lewis or the defenders punt the ball long but it's pure chance where those "knockdowns" end up.)

Just now, Ten Caat said:

No

Cosgrove relies on service to be of any use. He's a finisher, nothing more (His height lets him win a few headers when Lewis or the defenders punt the ball long but it's pure chance where those "knockdowns" end up.)

I watched him in a game against Hearts early last season. In the first half he won everything, smart layoffs and got a goal from a corner. 

I thought, hang on, if this boy puts it all together like that he could maybe do something. 

But, alas, the second half and just about every time thereafter he's shown none of that again. 

Some first half he had that day though, top class. 

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Ball was also targeted for a third return (this time on a permanent contract). But he managed to get himself a contract at QPR. Where he is now featuring as a starter most weeks

I always thought Ball was a decent holding midfielder, shame McInness didn't suss this out until his second spell with us, he played Anthony O'Connor in midfield instead of him FFS.

Just now, Redmist1903 said:

I always thought Ball was a decent holding midfielder, shame McInness didn't suss this out until his second spell with us, he played Anthony O'Connor in midfield instead of him FFS.

I totally agree. But most on here wrote him off as shite based on a (admittedly horrific) performance in the cup semi v Motherwell. But he's not a right back. 

2 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

on paper, we looked good.

In reality, we've a piss poor squad, depth wise. 

Up front - When Watkis got injured, we were stuck with 2 large, immobile, slow strikers. 

Defense - Covered it below, but we've got 1 decent CB at the club in Hoban. The rest are not good enough.  We bought a RB, never played him (probably because he's shite) and a guy whos past it. At LB we've Leigh and Considine. Considine is fine as backup, Leigh is too injury prone. Quite liked him in his first spell, but he's no Max Lowe. 

Midfield - our strongest area, but still missing that Shinnie type player to boss it. Everyone seems to be defensive Mids.  

We should not be as shit as we are going forward when you look at the forward line in 20+ goal scorer Cosgrove, Wright, Kennedy, Hayes and Hedges. With Watkins we were far more fluid, but since he got injured we've relied on Main/Cosgrove, and it's just not working.

• Ojo - Waste of a wage
  • McGeough - Constantly injured. No better than Campbell
  • Hernandez - Enough has already been said about this signing. He's clearly not good enough or he'd have played
  • Logan - Past It
  • McGinn - Past it
  • Main - Not good enough
  • Cosgrove - When he's on form, he's good. Otherwise he's a complete waste of a shirt.
  • Devlin -  Best written off now.
  • Wright - Constantly injured. Came onto form and got injured again. 
  • Hedges - One of very few good things this season
  • Hayes - See Hedges
  • Watkins - LOAN - But he was very good before he got injured. The shiteness we've played since then has illustrated how poor the depth of our squad is / how we have no backup plan.
  • Taylor - Started season well, probably been more good than bad. But still nowhere near good enough
  • Hoban - Shame he's having to be in a back line up with Logan and Taylor. Needs someone decent beside him. We have Considine, Taylor, Hoban and Devlin as our CBs. 3 of those 4 are not good enough.
  • Kennedy - Flatters to deceive in most games. I still think there's a player there.
  • Ferguson - Feel like he's gone off the boil a bit this season. 
  • McCrorrie - Same as Ferguson. Would rather he played further forward.
  • Campbell - Tidy enough, but really could have done with a season on loan playing first team football
  • Anderson - Not good enough. Get rid. 
  • Lewis - Needs better support infront of him.
  • Leigh - Forgot about him. Injury prone as well.

Probably missed some players, but we've got the slowest forwards in the league and a shite defence. 

You could argue we've been unlucky with injuries, but half of them are constantly injured, or we've bought them knowing they had past injury problems.

I don't think he's getting the best out of the players at his disposal. He signs players who have done well at previous clubs, and then been absolutely shite for us. Stewart, Kennedy, McGeough for example. 

Agree with most of that but to say McGeough is no better than Campbell is doing McGeough a massive disservice. OK he's had injury troubles but he can at least pass a ball forward. I like McGeough, good player but he's not much use to us always injured.

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

I totally agree. But most on here wrote him off as shite based on a (admittedly horrific) performance in the cup semi v Motherwell. But he's not a right back. 

Ball was an average central midfielder but never a right or centre back. 

O'Connor was an average centre back but never a right back or a central midfielder.  Played the best part of a season in central midfield as well! 

Just now, Betty Swallicks said:

Curtis Main is not a footballer but still made a cunt of Ball that day.

I'd imagine Main would also have made a cunt of Hayes had Hayes been played at centre half.

Ball is a midfielder not a right back. That's what happens when you play folk out of their natural position

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

I'd imagine Main would also have made a cunt of Hayes had Hayes been played at centre half.

Ball is a midfielder not a right back. That's what happens when you play folk out of their natural position

Thats McInnes all over. Round pegs/square holes. 

See: Ball, O"Connor, McCrorie, Hayes, Kennedy, Considine, McGinn, Leigh etc.

• Upvote 1

I think there was also a step in between vis a vis our striking plans pre season.  Everyone assumed it would be Cosgrove and were interested to see how a combination from Wright, Hedges, Hayes, Kennedy and McLennan would feed him and I for one assumed Main would support if only for the press which is not Sammy’s forte.

what then happened was Cosgroves injury removed both the threat of sale and whether he’d start.  Derek then used his skill or got lucky depending on your view and the back 5* mobile front 3 was born.  It was relatively successful but more importantly it was light years from what we’d watched previously.

Now yes, he’s been unlucky with injuries to key roles.  But does anyone see him trying to recreate what we had in Sept, hell, even using a transfer window to add to it?

Nope.  Return to turgid city and be careful what we wish for.  Apparently.

* I maintain the back 5 was more to do with our 5 year Full Back Exclusion policy.

3 hours ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Whilst we're talking about signings, let's not forget that this is a manager who was unable to accommodate James Maddison in his team. 

I don’t think to many people were unhappy that Maddison left and we signed Ryan christie as a replacement tho. It was even said Christie was better for us