Scotland vs Austria, Israel and the Faroes

24 minutes ago, Poodler said:

2-0!!!!! Hope all you Ryan Jack supporters are delighted with yourselves. 

17 minutes ago, Poodler said:

Is that the first UD to score For Scotland?

15 minutes ago, Poodler said:

The goal Poland just scored was a laugh 

international fitba is just a novelty sport 

Someone give this laddie some attention. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Dildo 1

On reflection, Scotland should probably have won all 3 of those games. Austria aren’t all that, but we stood off them for 35 mins. When we went toe to toe, we were arguably better, or as good as them. Israel;  decided to stand off them for 45 mins and let them play, which was odd. Went toe to toe in the 2nd half and were arguably better. Probably would have won the game if we played like that from the start. The FI are shite, however, job done..

So, negative, defensive minded,  football in the first 2 games against average opposition and we have 5 points out of 9...

I don’t think that’s good enough and we should be set up to beat Austria at home and Israel away. Clarke just the same as many other Largs types. At least Strachan had a go...

• Dildo 1
18 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

On reflection, Scotland should probably have won all 3 of those games. Austria aren’t all that, but we stood off them for 35 mins. When we went toe to toe, we were arguably better, or as good as them. Israel;  decided to stand off them for 45 mins and let them play, which was odd. Went toe to toe in the 2nd half and were arguably better. Probably would have won the game if we played like that from the start. The FI are shite, however, job done..

So, negative, defensive minded,  football in the first 2 games against average opposition and we have 5 points out of 9...

I don’t think that’s good enough and we should be set up to beat Austria at home and Israel away. Clarke just the same as many other Largs types. At least Strachan had a go...

We drew with Israel in Tel Aviv, we'll likely beat them here. If we can get a draw in Austria then we're not doing any worse than any other team (aside from Denmark), and tonight put a good tally in the goal difference account for us. 

Our game in Austria may be pivotal. 

• Dildo 1

Thought it was a decent performance if nothing spectacular. Faroes are average if stuffy team to play against although they could take points of some team. 

There is no way we will play like that at the euros tho teirney won’t get the freedom to overlap Robertson like he did tonight against decent teams 

2 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

We drew with Israel in Tel Aviv, we'll likely beat them here. If we can get a draw in Austria then we're not doing any worse than any other team (aside from Denmark), and tonight put a good tally in the goal difference account for us. 

Our game in Austria may be pivotal. 

My point is the how, not the what. Away to Austria and Denmark next month, so why not set up to win the first 2 games and choose to sit off the opposition. Negative, pish!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
1 hour ago, Dons79 said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46852372

plenty of good coaches at Largs ?

name another institute that has churned out as many excellent coaches?

you will do well as seen as arguably the best manager ever came from that institution,along with capello,dalgleish,van gaal etc

hows Aberdeen’s centre for managerial excellence getting on?,

Maybe the best coaches from that list have diversified to some extent I.e sir Alex. I would argue that Jose M plays the same brand of football as DM and Steve Clarke, albeit with better players. Was successful 10 years ago, but not to the same extent now, as things have evolved.

On the Scotland point, we are talking about Austria away as a crucial game in terms of qualification. Austria at home was a crucial game in terms of qualification, but we sat off them in the first half. Do you think that was the right course of action?

25 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

Maybe the best coaches from that list have diversified to some extent I.e sir Alex. I would argue that Jose M plays the same brand of football as DM and Steve Clarke, albeit with better players. Was successful 10 years ago, but not to the same extent now, as things have evolved.

On the Scotland point, we are talking about Austria away as a crucial game in terms of qualification. Austria at home was a crucial game in terms of qualification, but we sat off them in the first half. Do you think that was the right course of action?

No a don’t,I seen mental weakness within that team although, players like alaba don’t turn shit overnight and think some folk are underrating Austria somewhat, they are higher ranked than us!.should we have went for it and tried to win?probably seen as we were at home.wish Clarke was braver on team selection as every time I’ve seen McTominay he’s been shite,would have much preferred the likes of Gilmour instead regardless of age

regarding Israel, they will take points off other teams as well, Solomon is a cracking player and dabbour once fit is a dangerous unit,zahavi being there best and most intelligent player that links there front men.wasn’t a disaster of 2 games results and performances wise.Germany got beat aff north Macedonia for fucks sake

2 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

No a don’t,I seen mental weakness within that team although, players like alaba don’t turn shit overnight and think some folk are underrating Austria somewhat, they are higher ranked than us!.should we have went for it and tried to win?probably seen as we were at home.wish Clarke was braver on team selection as every time I’ve seen McTominay he’s been shite,would have much preferred the likes of Gilmour instead regardless of age

Austria were honking against Denmark tonight. Their central defence made Ash Taylor look like Maldini. Shouldn’t matter if they are higher ranked. We’re the home team and with equally as good players as Austria.

Anyway, just frustrated and at least there’s the Euros to look forward to, as a prelude to the new look, dynamic Dandies, which is the important bit.

• Upvote 1

Austria are a far better side than Scotland & current Denmark side a step up even more .

We are truly at the level with Israel & it is genuinely hard to pick which is better of the two of us.

I will be very surprised if we can pip Austria for second as we have zero chance of automatic qualification via first.

My thoughts before group started were

1.Denmark

2.Austria

3/4. Scotland/Israel but not sure order

5. Moldova

6.Faroe Islands

Faroe Islands actually surprised me in attack tonight so maybe they can take 5th but that will be the only real surprise I expect now from the group from my initial feelings on how it will play out

1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Austria are a far better side than Scotland & current Denmark side a step up even more .

We are truly at the level with Israel & it is genuinely hard to pick which is better of the two of us.

I will be very surprised if we can pip Austria for second as we have zero chance of automatic qualification via first.

My thoughts before group started were

1.Denmark

2.Austria

3/4. Scotland/Israel

5. Moldova

6.Faroe Islands

Faroe Islands actually surprised me in attack tonight so maybe they can take 5th but that will be the only real surprise I expect now from the group from my initial feelings on how it will play out

What makes you think that Austria are far better than Scotland? 

19 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

What makes you think that Austria are far better than Scotland? 

Because they were the better side when we played them they confirmed in my mind they were better before we played them. They have a far better pool of players also IMO & certainly a better defence 

They also proved they can beat Israel a lot easier than any of our previous efforts against them.

3 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

True. Tierney is just better. 

I've always thought Tierney was the better player.  Every time I saw him play for Celtic he always seemed to be in the conversation for MOTM.  Stuck out like a sore thumb up here I thought.  Every week he looked a cut above - consistently.

Robertson is a quality player too... however, by comparison, if he was thrown into the current Arsenal squad, he'd probably struggle I think.  He's very much a square peg in a square hole, within Klopps system.

Just now, Sonoftherock said:

I've always thought Tierney was the better player.  Every time I saw him play for Celtic he always seemed to be in the conversation for MOTM.  Stuck out like a sore thumb up here I thought.  Every week he looked a cut above - consistently.

Robertson is a quality player too... however, by comparison, if he was thrown into the current Arsenal squad, he'd probably struggle I think.  He's very much a square peg in a square hole, within Klopps system.

I agree. Robertson doesn't look brilliant when Liverpool aren't at it, or in a Scotland shirt, to be honest. 

7 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Because they were the better side when we played them they confirmed in my mind they were better before we played them. They have a far better pool of players also IMO & certainly a better defence 

They also proved they can beat Israel a lot easier than any of our previous efforts against them.

They haven't played Israel yet.

They did face them in Euro qualifiers in 2019 though. Israel beat Austria 4-2 at home, lost 3-1 in the return leg

4 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He's in better form just now. 

But there's not much between them overall

I think Tierney is a better athlete, more aggressive, just as good an engine, can play on the left of a back 3 and crucially, appears to be more accurate with his crossing. 

He also appears to take criticism better than Robertson. Who I've always found a total and utter fud. 

Edit: Also faster over 10 yards.