European Super League

Just now, ericblack4boss said:

Theyve made total tits of themselves, the climbdown, I'm sure now UEFA will get it right up them at every opportunity, 

More likely uefa have bent over and promised the corrupt cunts guaranteed champions league entry 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Millertime said:

Beautiful post 

Thank you, I I just looking forward to going with somebody that likes me as I fell out with the ones I used to go with, 3 different sets of people over 9 years

They were idiots

You’ve fallen out with 3 different sets of people?

As well as the majority of this forum?

Perhaps a period of introspection might be in order Frankie - for wee Mario’s sake ?

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

This must be one of the biggest PR fuck ups in all sport ever? Think we’ll see a few more resignations to come still.

Hopefully UEFA still absolutely hammer the clubs as well. Only pulling out because the fans kicked up a fuss, not because they actually wanted to.

They totally underestimated the strength of feeling from the fans. 

Same as in 2012 up here.  When the fans unite they can still make the clubs listen. 

They never even bothered to gauge their fans opinion on the whole thing. Very strange to jump into something as big as this totally blind.

I’m surprised it’s unraveled so quick though. Especially the English clubs, I thought a bunch of owners who don’t even live in the country wouldn’t be too fussed about upsetting fans here when there are more fans elsewhere in the world who would have watched.

4 hours ago, EH11Red said:

Brits ?! FFS. Think you’ve been watching too much Irish cinema boys. Its just not a word thats used in Scotland. Sounds a wee bit juvenile  & like you’re desperately trying to be Irish  or something 

Flag shagger 

The idea was only proposed to be used as leverage in future negotiations, I don't think any of the teams would have moved forward with these plans but with everyone freaking out about it they've just shown the rest of their leagues how important they are to them. The leagues will not want to miss out on the money they bring in and will do what they can to keep them the next time and they'll all be better off. Proper shit like. 

I've just looked at the UEFA website and found this

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0268-12157d69ce2d-9f011c70f6fa-1000--new-champions-league-format-explained/

Presently there is 26 teams automatically entered into the league with 6 places for canon fodder from the diddy leagues.

Now there will be 36 teams with 30 automatic places. The bit that I have highlighted looks like a safety net for an English, Spanish, Italian or German team to the parachuted in if they have a bad season.

The ESL has been stopped but only because it isn't UEFA sanctioned.

How will the 2024/25 competition change?

The pivotal change in the reforms announced by the UEFA Executive Committee after its meeting on 19 April 2021 is the departure from the current format’s opening 32-team group stage. The present Champions League season begins with participants divided into eight groups of four. From the 2024/25 season, there will be a single league made up of all 36 competing clubs. This will give four more sides the opportunity to compete against the best clubs in Europe.

Under the new format, teams will play four matches more than is currently the case. They will no longer play three opponents twice – home and away – but will instead face fixtures against 10 different teams, half of them at home and half of them away. This gives the opportunity for clubs to test themselves against a wider range of opponents – and also raises the prospect of fans seeing the top teams go head to head more often earlier in the competition. The new format should mean that there is more to play for right up until the final night of league action.

How will the four additional spots be allocated?

Qualification for the Champions League will continue to be open and depend on a club’s final position in the previous season’s domestic league competition. The additional four slots available in 2024/25 will be allocated according to three different criteria:

• Slot one: awarded to a club from the country placed fifth in UEFA’s national association coefficient rankings. Each association's coefficient is based on the results of its clubs’ performances in five previous Champions League and Europa League seasons.
  • Slot two: awarded to the domestic league champion with the highest club coefficient among all other domestic champions that have not automatically qualified for the Champions League’s league stage.
  • Slots three and four: awarded to the two clubs with the highest club coefficients that have not qualified automatically for the Champions League’s league stage, but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase or the Europa League/the Europa Conference League (due to start in the 2021/22 season).
55 minutes ago, shut up meg said:

I forgot to add that they will now play 10 games instead of 6, more revenue.

The only way to save football at our level was for the ESL to work and the collapse of the European football and the revenue that warps our game.

I agree. It would have been great for us if the ESL went ahead. 

Sky, EPL, UEFA slapping themselves on the back when they have been the main protagonists in taking away football from the people. Pricks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1