Declan Gallagher

Gallagher has been disappointing but we should have known he wasn't the fastest when we brought him - a wee bit of basic due diligence should have clarified that - Andy likeiwse is not the fastest - so we are left with the supposition that we don't need speed in the centre of defence (wrong) or that we believed that despite everyone else failing Stephen Glass can turn McRorie into a top class (in Scottish terms) centre half. It strikes me as very naive thinking and exemplifies some of the higher level decisions being made. AFC need a better centre of defence than we currently have or we'll struggle to celebrate a top six trophy - rebuilding actually involves bringing in the right material to work with at the start and sadly there is precious little evidence of that in defence.. We are hugely fortunate in two great prospects at fullback but good teams start with a basic competent triangle between the centre of defence and the keeper - we are sadly a way away from this at the moment. It's bizarre that management can't see it (or seem to make an effort to address it) as the opposition do all too frequently, Raith fucking Rovers.

53 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Surely we should be trying McKenzie along side Gallagher.

Deano to left back.

Worth a try against Ross County.

No we shouldn't

He's doing absolutely fine at left back, a position we have struggled to fill (with a player we actually own) for years

McCrorie isn't a centre half clearly but as long as we bring one in at an absolute minimum before the window shuts then I'd accept him playing once more there against County. Bonus if we get get one in earlier and is available to play

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

He’s SHITE

Ash Taylor levels of shite

The great SHITE hope.

Glass is a fkn mug when it comes to defensive strength needed. He thought this cunt was EVERYTHING we needed in central defence to get to groups & switched off back that end of pitch until Consi injury.

TOTALLY AMATEURISH MANAGEMENT with zero idea of what was needed.

He’s got a lot to do to get me back to any levels of ‘give him time’ shite when he makes such basic fkn misjudgments at this level.

GLASS FKN CORMACK FKN BAD FKN

?

7 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Gallagher has been a big disappointment but  it’s still early days and I suspect if he had a competent partner at centre half and not have to keep McRorie right all the time we may see a difference.

This might be true though Glass played the two together even when Andy was fit perhaps because of the pace issue - this has been a problem all season, not properly resolved and we are out of wo competitions.

7 hours ago, thurso said:

Were you ever on the “give him time” thought process 

Yup. Was giving him two windows. I think even that is overly generous for any club, let alone a top end top flight club.

Its BS anyway allowing any sort of leniency really. Cormack insisted he is the right man for the job & extremely experienced & a great coach.

So why should he be ‘given time’ when he was shoe horned in with such bullish bravado by the chairman?

That defence he has had us start such an important season with probably our easiest route to groups since Calderwood era is not the work of someone Cormack claimed he is.

No doubt he will be excused by the many & given a free ride because ‘can we really expect better’? ?

9 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Yup. Was giving him two windows. I think even that is overly generous for any club, let alone a top end top flight club.

Its BS anyway allowing any sort of leniency really. Cormack insisted he is the right man for the job & extremely experienced & a great coach.

So why should he be ‘given time’ when he was shoe horned in with such bullish bravado by the chairman?

That defence he has had us start such an important season with probably our easiest route to groups since Calderwood era is not the work of someone Cormack claimed he is.

No doubt he will be excused by the many & given a free ride because ‘can we really expect better’? ?

But you hate the chairman and manager for some reason. If cormack appointed pep guardiola you would of slagged him off. 

Id say qarabag were a lot better team than some of the ones that have knocked us out in last 15 years 

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

No we shouldn't

He's doing absolutely fine at left back, a position we have struggled to fill (with a player we actually own) for years

McCrorie isn't a centre half clearly but as long as we bring one in at an absolute minimum before the window shuts then I'd accept him playing once more there against County. Bonus if we get get one in earlier and is available to play

He didn’t do fine last night for what it’s worth. He was absolutely brutal.

8 minutes ago, thurso said:

But you hate the chairman and manager for some reason. If cormack appointed pep guardiola you would of slagged him off. 

Id say qarabag were a lot better team than some of the ones that have knocked us out in last 15 years 

Is this a standard of competence - we were beaten by a better side than some other teams that beat us?! 

How about Raith Rovers?

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, thurso said:

I think Cormack is a full of shite snake oil salesman yes. & he’s pulled wool over many eyes with his big white ? ? ?

Why wait until day of last game in Europe & following day to make 3 signings? Still only one CH though when we nee 2 after  Considine injury. I don’t even know if Bates is any good, other than a few Huns with their usual hype a while ago

47 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

He didn’t do fine last night for what it’s worth. He was absolutely brutal.

I totally concur about last night and but he's not going to be facing players of Qarabag's quality week in week out in the SPL. And let's face it, he wasn't the only one in our side that had a stinker.

1 hour ago, Crossbow said:

Is this a standard of competence - we were beaten by a better side than some other teams that beat us?! 

How about Raith Rovers?

He never mentioned raith tho it was Europe he’s was on about. 

1 hour ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I think Cormack is a full of shite snake oil salesman yes. & he’s pulled wool over many eyes with his big white ???

Why wait until day of last game in Europe & following day to make 3 signings? Still only one CH though when we nee 2 after  Considine injury. I don’t even know if Bates is any good, other than a few Huns with their usual hype a while ago

So even before this season when mccinnes was still here it was all about how bad cormack was. Did he dump you or something you sound like a bitter ex when it comes to him 

1 hour ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I think Cormack is a full of shite snake oil salesman yes. & he’s pulled wool over many eyes with his big white ???

The thing is, Cormack and Gunn, have explained the issue they have with recruitment but your not interested in the reasons. Just happy to post shite about him.

1 minute ago, thurso said:

He never mentioned raith tho it was Europe he’s was on about. 

So even before this season when mccinnes was still here it was all about how bad cormack was. Did he dump you or something you sound like a bitter ex when it comes to him 

I never started in on Cormack until the prawcess of him shoe horning Glass in so you are making up utter shite to suit now.

I was 100% anti McInnes not Cormack.

Now I am swinging greatly against Cormack & still back Glass but his strings are clearly being tugged by Cormack 

My only gripe has been the defensive shambolic approach to qualifying for groups on the cheap 

3 minutes ago, RUL said:

The thing is, Cormack and Gunn, have explained the issue they have with recruitment but your not interested in the reasons. Just happy to post shite about him.

So you think they prepared sufficiently in the defensive areas of the team (let alone squad) for the fabled group stages & top 100status aye?

you don’t think it needs any criticism? Or it should be excused with fob off’s

1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

So you think they prepared sufficiently in the defensive areas of the team (let alone squad) for the fabled group stages & top 100status aye?

you don’t think it needs any criticism? Or it should be excused with fob off’s

I just think we have a limited budget and we are really requiring other clubs to get on board with giving us better deals to make the most of our resources. I agree we weren't ready, I'm not disagreeing, I just think we couldn't have done anything else. Hopefully now we've got a team that'll challenge domestically for the rest of the season, I'm not saying win the league but we're joint top and now improved in all areas, bar goalkeeper, that's got to be a positive.

2 minutes ago, RUL said:

I just think we have a limited budget and we are really requiring other clubs to get on board with giving us better deals to make the most of our resources. I agree we weren't ready, I'm not disagreeing, I just think we couldn't have done anything else. Hopefully now we've got a team that'll challenge domestically for the rest of the season, I'm not saying win the league but we're joint top and now improved in all areas, bar goalkeeper, that's got to be a positive.

Of course it is a positive now but if the main ambitions clearly set out by chairman is to reach groups & top 100 status then he needed to back that up. 
Overall I am delighted with Glass & the general way the team is going after Mcinnes/Milne but that doesn’t mean we cannot discuss & even bitch about the obvious shortcomings after such bravado 

Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

Of course it is a positive now but if the main ambitions clearly set out by chairman is to reach groups & top 100 status then he needed to back that up. 
Overall I am delighted with Glass & the general way the team is going after Mcinnes/Milne but that doesn’t mean we cannot discuss & even bitch about the obvious shortcomings after such bravado 

It's the manner of it, not just you, folk saying Cormack is some kind of fraud. He's actually mental for even putting money into the club, we'd be fucked if Milne was still in charge by now.

6 minutes ago, RUL said:

It's the manner of it, not just you, folk saying Cormack is some kind of fraud. He's actually mental for even putting money into the club, we'd be fucked if Milne was still in charge by now.

I think he thinks he knows more than anyone else about football & is quite condescending in his views. It is quite apparent that is the case for allowing us to try to limp into groups in such a way. 

A good defence is one of the basics to start from when building a decent side. It has been pretty much ignored though until Considine injury. They assumed swapping Gallagher for Taylor & Hoban was enough & that McRorrie could be a CH

i am genuinely astonished that our central defence has been allowed to go down hill after getting rid of Taylor & tha latter abilities of Hoban 

33 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I think he thinks he knows more than anyone else about football & is quite condescending in his views. It is quite apparent that is the case for allowing us to try to limp into groups in such a way. 

A good defence is one of the basics to start from when building a decent side. It has been pretty much ignored though until Considine injury. They assumed swapping Gallagher for Taylor & Hoban was enough & that McRorrie could be a CH

i am genuinely astonished that our central defence has been allowed to go down hill after getting rid of Taylor & tha latter abilities of Hoban 

The problem last night wasn’t the defenders it was our inept ability to pass the ball when they could and do it far better than us. Second goal was bad passing then them breaking fast on us third goals was again ball given away on half way line and then then breaking fast. Both times the defence was left exposed. What the fuck has that got to do with cormack 

Yeah we know that Gallagher is a good defender as seen it many times and particularly looked solid for Scotland, so can only assume his performance last night in particular was down to low confidence playing alongside McRorie. He was put under so much pressure by him which clearly affected him

3 hours ago, thurso said:

The problem last night wasn’t the defenders it was our inept ability to pass the ball when they could and do it far better than us. Second goal was bad passing then them breaking fast on us third goals was again ball given away on half way line and then then breaking fast. Both times the defence was left exposed. What the fuck has that got to do with cormack 

Yet you seem to have left out the first goal which was very much the fault of the defence & which basically completely changed the game & was the route cause of the ease in which the other goals came after as we had no choice but to open up more which suited their relaxed ability to leave as many players up in our half as they wanted. Strengthened by their own faith in their on VERY CAPABLE defence. 
That team last night was a VERY good example of what is (the basics) required to regularly get to & compete in European group stage football & one of the (VERY) obvious lessons to take away from it is that you cannot approach these levels without a strong defensive unit. That is something we either ignorantly ignored in our whole approach this season or penny pinched on in hope or a gamble. All this season’s European exploits have shown me is that Cormack really wasn’t as fully committed to the task of really pushing for it this season as he tries to make out he is. I REALLY hope he has learned a valuable lesson as this season really was one of the easiest opportunities to go for it considering the draws we got. I don’t think it is going to get any easier in all honesty. Everyone realises that group stage football (no matter which level) is a decent wee cash cow. Especially for smaller league countries like us that has a league title prize pot of less than conference group qualification & we cannot even get near our own bloody title funds.

Couple all the above with the fact that pretty much every signing we have made (loan or perm) of any potential sell on value all belong other clubs so where exactly are we planning on the money making prawcess?