"Jet" signs

8 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

It's just one of the most bizarre signings that we (or anyone for that matter) has ever made.

You can see the loon has a bit of talent but as others have said.....the career stats don't lie. Just seems like he hasn't ever applied himself at any point during his career. Talent only gets you so far but you have to work hard to back it up.

I'm sure he isn't costing us the earth so that in itself is a reasonable starting position and maybe Glass has a cunning plan up his sleeve for him (30 minute super-sub??). But I'm expecting 2 more strikers to come in minimum, one of whom needs to be a proper name that gets the support fired up...the other a solid back-up who can be relied on for 12 plus goals per season.

“One of the most bizarre signings anyone has ever made”

You exaggerate a fucking lot. Wind it in.

• Upvote 10
  • Dildo 1

20 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

It's just one of the most bizarre signings that we (or anyone for that matter) has ever made.

You can see the loon has a bit of talent but as others have said.....the career stats don't lie. Just seems like he hasn't ever applied himself at any point during his career. Talent only gets you so far but you have to work hard to back it up.

I'm sure he isn't costing us the earth so that in itself is a reasonable starting position and maybe Glass has a cunning plan up his sleeve for him (30 minute super-sub??). But I'm expecting 2 more strikers to come in minimum, one of whom needs to be a proper name that gets the support fired up...the other a solid back-up who can be relied on for 12 plus goals per season.

Of course you are...

• Upvote 1

Wish folk would stop harping on about his goal scoring record.

For a start, we will never be signing any player with a goals to games ratio similar to that of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Aside from Adam Rooney’s spell at ICT, his goal scoring stats weren’t something to get excited about, before we took a punt on him.

• Dildo 2
1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think the boy means that Jet probably won't play as a lone central striker much. .

The common formation many teams, including Aberdeen in the main deploy is the 4-2-3-1 formation.

If the main striker is not prolific, but gets far more out of the 3 playing behind them then it could be far better for the team overall.

statistics can be a useful indication, but only looking at one stat in isolation can be extremely misleading

20 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

The common formation many teams, including Aberdeen in the main deploy is the 4-2-3-1 formation.

If the main striker is not prolific, but gets far more out of the 3 playing behind them then it could be far better for the team overall.

statistics can be a useful indication, but only looking at one stat in isolation can be extremely misleading

We tried that with Zola.
Didn’t really work.

That’s why we brought Rooney in... a no9 that actually looked like he wanted to score 20 goals. 

35 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

What if the 1 isn’t interested and the 3 are mostly shite, or at the very least “shot shy.”

And how many of the 3 can really be defensive midfielders who prefer to sit 10yds out of our box, not 10 yds off theirs?

Bollox questions mate. McInnes has moved on.

35 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We tried that with Zola.
Didn’t really work.

That’s why we brought Rooney in... a no9 that actually looked like he wanted to score 20 goals. 

I don’t know what Glass’s plans are with JET.

Maybe it’s a super sub, maybe it’s as one of the 3 in behind, maybe it’s the main man up top.

Just because it doesn’t work with one player, it doesn’t mean it can’t work in a different set-up.

My concern would be if going with just one main striker and relying on them (as we did with Rooney), then opposing clubs know how to combat that.

We ideally need to have fluidity in our attacks so that the opposition don’t know what your planning to do.

We became too predictable under McInnes

3 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Could Zola play wide or in the 10? Absolutely not. JET can... apparently. 

No really sure how this one is going to work out. We'll see. 

Thomas started as a centre back, then moved to the left side of midfield for a few years. Latterly he's been playing as a forward, occasionally as a central striker. 

I think he'll mainly play off the striker rather than being the main central striker himself. 

7 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Folk who quote JETs stats are often the same people who think we should have done more to keep Bruce Anderson who has even worse stats.

There's two camps isn't there? 

The first camp want us to offer a contract to anyone who has half a good game.  Lots of flip flopping went on with the ooc players during the last couple of months of the season. 

The other camp are against every signing or suggested signing. 

31 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

1/. Thanks for everything including the sock jokes

2/ haven’t seen enough, but that applies to our entire midfield whether playing or not

3/.  Simply can’t stay fit enough and not best suited to this playing from the back we seem determined to try. File with Mark Reynolds.

How dare you

Reynolds was a stellar performer

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

That's what I thought.

On the topic of Open Goal, I listened to the Jackson Irvine interview yesterday (tough listen when Slaney is involved). He seems pretty down to earth.

Unsure at this stage if I want him at the club. He hasn't looked great when I've watched him. I'll spear my Hibee 'pal' the morn about it.

He’s a cool cunt in fairness to him.

My hibee pal likes him. Said he’d be raging if he went to Aberdeen.

11 hours ago, Roberto said:

You sure they aren't talking about Jim Jefferies?

He is known as The Jet... 

And only time I ever hear them mentioning it is when discussing Jefferies?

I listen to it every week.  Yeah, they also call Jefferies the JET too...

However, Jay Emmanuel Thomas, who they laugh about also being JET, has been talked about quite a lot.  As mentioned, Si Ferry and a few of his guests had played with or against him down south.  They often discuss their encounters with current and former SPFL players in England.  One of the guys he had on, can't remember who (might have been david Prutton), said JET turned up in horrific shape at their club - about 2 stone overweight and had a terrible attitude - but could tell he was very talented!

11 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Yeah they are. 

Incorrect.  Jefferies is discussed a lot though!